The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Watched most of this It was a decent game. Gulyayev looked to tweak something when he took that holding penalty. He had a few good rushes and I'm not sure if he got the 2ndary assist on Trikozov's 1st goal after the scramble. One big separating factor between Hughes and Gulyayev which I'm not saying you have made comparisons but if there are comparisons to be made Gulyayev really struggled on several occasions to get the puck out and had his pocket picked a few times resulting in dangerous chances. Take for what you will. I am also a fan of this player.    

Interesting. I only watched the overtime live. I'll have to skim through later. I've always thought his escapability is the best in the class, but it'll be informative to see how he handles it in high-pressure, high-intensity competition against high level talent around his age group. Might be worth skimming a couple games from the finals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

This is where I differ a bit. If we look at the consolidated ranking from April 17th 

https://thewincolumn.ca/2023/04/17/consolidated-final-2023-nhl-draft-rankings/

We've got Benson Cristall Dvorsky and to a lesser extent Sale I hope all 4 of those go before our pick 11-12 (Sale looks real good though). If they don't and the next 4 move up.

ASP

Rein

Barlow

Danielson

Then....... 

I am definitely more interested in 2 players in the 20-40's 

Or 1 player in the 20-40's and a player who can play 3C or shut down D right now.  

Gimme 

Ritchie - Strbak

Honzek - Hrabal

Simashev - Molgaard 

Wood - Bonk

But - Lind

I could keep going there are a lot of late 1st early 2nds I'm stoked about. 

But let's talk about the 3rd  because damn let's stockpile 3rd's and 4ths good job PA/JR. 

65 Felix Nilsson 59.7 C/W Rögle BK J20 J20 Nationell Jun 22, 2005 6’0″ 174 L
66 Jacob Fowler 60.0 G Youngstown Phantoms USHL Nov 24, 2004 6’2″ 201 L
67 Cameron Allen 60.7 D Guelph Storm OHL Jan 7, 2005 5’11” 190 R
68 Noel Nordh 61.0 LW/RW Brynäs IF J20 J20 Nationell Jan 25, 2005 6’2″ 194 L
69 Anton Wahlberg 61.5 C Malmö Redhawks J20 J20 Nationell Jul 4, 2005 6’3″ 185 L
70 Roman Kantserov 62.0 F Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk MHL Sep 20, 2004 5’9″ 176 L
71 Andrew Strathmann 62.0 D Youngstown Phantoms USHL Feb 27, 2005 5’11” 174 L
72 Mathieu Cataford 63.5 RW Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL Mar 1, 2005 5’11” 187 R
73 Jakub Dvorak 64.0 D Bili Tygri Liberec Czechia May 25, 2005 6’5″ 203 L
74 Carter Sotheran 64.0 D Portland Winterhawks WHL Jun 26, 2005 6’3″ 185 R
75 Arvid Bergstrom 64.0 D Djurgårdens IF J20 J20 Nationell Jun 12, 2005 5’11” 163 L
76 Aram Minnetian 67.0 D U.S. National U18 Team USDP Mar 19, 2005 6’0″ 170 R
77 Matthew Soto 68.5 RW Kingston Frontenacs OHL Aug 31, 2005 5’11” 168 R
78 Tuomas Uronen 72.0 F HIFK U20 U20 SM-sarja Mar 19, 2005 6’0″ 187 R
79 Jesse Nurmi 75.3 LW KooKoo U20 U20 SM-sarja Mar 7, 2005 5’11” 165 L
80 Zeb Forsfjall 76.0 C Skellefteå AIK J20 J20 Nationell Jan 16, 2005 5’9″ 168 L
81 Emil Jarventie 79.0 F Ilves U20 U20 SM-sarja Apr 4, 2005 5’10” 168 L
82 Matthew Mania 79.7 D Sudbury Wolves OHL Jan 11, 2005 6’0″ 187 R
83 Arttu Karki 81.0 D Tappara U20 U20 SM-sarja Dec 8, 2004 6’2″ 176 L
84 Jordan Tourigny 83.0 D Shawinigan Cataractes QMJHL Feb 28, 2005 5’11” 168 R
85 Jaden Lipinski 90.0 F Vancouver Giants WHL Dec 2, 2004 6’3″ 198 R

Add in.

Juraj Pekarcik F Must'a said something about someone's mamma. 

Oskar Asplund LD Overager

Adam because I Cedzo F

Gavin McCarthy RD tough as nails

Milton Oscarson F whaaaat?

Peter Cizar F eat your salad

Sam Barcik RD Haven't noticed him in a good way.

I could just keep going and going I'm missing tons of guys I've probably already made posts about. I think when people talk about this draft being deep it's not so much 8-20 it's more how many incredibly exciting picks there are 20-100+. 

There are guys ranked in the 90's I'd look at with a 2nd. It's a murky draft I think much has to do with how covid threw everything for a loop and a lot of these kids haven't had good looks or skipped some development and are just getting a look now. 

Wahlberg is got everything you'd want in a big 3rd line Centre 6'3 with a projectable  frame.  I was impressed with Juraj Pekarcik from the Slovakian team.  He plays a heavy game 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Still don't prefer a winger, but Leonard, Barlow, Sale, and Wood could all be very good picks at 11. 

I think it's imperative that they take a C with that pick and there will be some very good C available at that spot.

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Still don't prefer a winger, but Leonard, Barlow, Sale, and Wood could all be very good picks at 11. 

BPA all day, whomever our scouting staff deems that to be.

Personally I would draft Leonard and Sale ahead of Moore, Danielson, Reinbacher and. ASP if they were all still on the board at 11, but I'm just an arm chair video scout, so what do I know.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

Watched most of this It was a decent game. Gulyayev looked to tweak something when he took that holding penalty. He had a few good rushes and I'm not sure if he got the 2ndary assist on Trikozov's 1st goal after the scramble. One big separating factor between Hughes and Gulyayev which I'm not saying you have made comparisons but if there are comparisons to be made Gulyayev really struggled on several occasions to get the puck out and had his pocket picked a few times resulting in dangerous chances. Take for what you will. I am also a fan of this player.    

OK I'm really confused here. I just watched what I'm pretty sure was every Gulyayev shift from this game, and I didn't see the play (or plays) you're referring to. I was half expecting he'd have a large quantity of successful zone exits and you just happened to pinpoint a couple failures, but no. He was literally perfect by my count going 10 for 10 on his 5-on-5 zone exit attempts, 8 of which his team maintained possession. It's possible I accidentally skipped a shift or two that just happened to have the plays you mentioned, but regardless, I saw him doing what he does best enough in this one that even a couple mishaps wouldn't put much of a tarnish on it. Interestingly enough, watching this only further solidified my belief that he has hands down and without question the best escapability of any defenseman in the draft class. Here were a few of his best from this one:

For whatever reason I only clipped solo exits (i.e. where he's the last to touch the puck before it leaves the zone). There were a few with much higher degree of difficulty where he used teammates effectively. Now I'm wishing I'd clipped some of those too, but the thing I liked to see on a couple of them was that he didn't mind putting his teammates in tricky (but manageable) situations. Gotta be able to trust your teammates, especially if you're in the league championship finals.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

After losing Horvat I feel we need to inject some Canadian’s on this team. We need to also add some grit because playoff Hockey is no joke. This team needs to focus on meat and potatoes in order to flank all the skill we have. 

I hope they stay far away from the CHL in the first round

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Wahlberg is got everything you'd want in a big 3rd line Centre 6'3 with a projectable  frame.  I was impressed with Juraj Pekarcik from the Slovakian team.  He plays a heavy game 

Plus I hear he's a very good wahll guy that Tocchet's been looking for 

On 4/24/2023 at 9:24 PM, Pure961089 said:

Did Dvorsky have a game or what? I know it was against the Germans but 4 goals is still 4 goals.  Being the only notable player on the team and having 2-3 German players draped over him all game scoring 5 points (4 goals) is quite remarkable 

Here's a nice breakdown of his performance.  I hope he can continue this into the next round because I could watch him play all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

This year's draft seems different than years past. It seems that every team in the league 1-32 is going to have a shot a potential impact player as I have been impressed with a lot of these prospects over the last few weeks. I'm hoping we can package Rathbone, McDonaugh and some others that likely wont get a shot with the big club anytime soon and our 3rd and 4th round picks this year to move into the mid to late 2nd round. If PA can work some Burkie magic and make a few trades to move into the 1st and 2nd rounds we could see our prospect cupboard become respectable again. 

Now onto the rankings...i effin give up. 1 week I want to move Moore up, next its Wood and Barlow is dropping, then the following week Barlow and Perrault are showcasing themselves as top 10 potential picks and Benson falls a few spots. Safe to say we're likely getting a good one and every draft list leading to the draft is going to bust.  

I'd like to put a list down but i have 16 guys that could all realistically go top 10. 

Here's a lame attempt at the list nonetheless (mock draft style) 

Anaheim - Bedard 

Columbus - Fantilli 

Chicago - Calsson 

San Jose - Will Smith  

Montreal - Reinbacher 

Arizona -  Leonard 

Philadelphia - Benson 

Washington - Michkov

Detroit - Moore

St. Louis - Barlow  

Vancouver - Sandin-Pellika 

Ottawa - Wood 

Buffalo - Sale 

Pittsburgh - Dvorsky

Nashville - Danielson 

Calgary - Yager 

Montreal - Honzek 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

OK I'm really confused here. I just watched what I'm pretty sure was every Gulyayev shift from this game, and I didn't see the play (or plays) you're referring to. I was half expecting he'd have a large quantity of successful zone exits and you just happened to pinpoint a couple failures, but no. He was literally perfect by my count going 10 for 10 on his 5-on-5 zone exit attempts, 8 of which his team maintained possession. It's possible I accidentally skipped a shift or two that just happened to have the plays you mentioned, but regardless, I saw him doing what he does best enough in this one that even a couple mishaps wouldn't put much of a tarnish on it. Interestingly enough, watching this only further solidified my belief that he has hands down and without question the best escapability of any defenseman in the draft class. Here were a few of his best from this one:

For whatever reason I only clipped solo exits (i.e. where he's the last to touch the puck before it leaves the zone). There were a few with much higher degree of difficulty where he used teammates effectively. Now I'm wishing I'd clipped some of those too, but the thing I liked to see on a couple of them was that he didn't mind putting his teammates in tricky (but manageable) situations. Gotta be able to trust your teammates, especially if you're in the league championship finals.

I'm not interested in going through to make a low lights package overall I thought he had a great game. I have no desire to throw shade at this kid or be adversarial. Ill drop a couple clips just to balance things a bit. So without further ado. 

Got his pocket picked here. Kind of a nothing burger as his D partner was there to ring the puck out.

On the PK here drops to his knees to cut the passing lane off I guess thats ok but if it hits him it's going in his net we will come back to this. 

Same PK no urgency I guess he gets it out on the 3rd attempt but it's not pretty.

Defending from his knees again. I dunno this is probably coaching but he nearly puts it in his net and this game never goes to OT. 

Anyway like I said over all I thought he had a good game and you make some good points. In going through to grab clips of just Gulyayev his game looked better than watching it live. Nice to see Miro and Trikozov thought Gleb had a great game too. Thanks for posting the link to this game yesterday.

Here was the Gulyayev play of the game for me.  Defend by any means necessary.

Also Haley Joel Osment has really gone down Jonah hill. *Whispers* I sense cheeseburgers.

Edited by hammertime

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm not interested in going through to make a low lights package overall I thought he had a great game. I have no desire to throw shade at this kid or be adversarial. Ill drop a couple clips just to balance things a bit. So without further ado. 

Got his pocket picked here. Kind of a nothing burger as his D partner was there to ring the puck out.

On the PK here drops to his knees to cut the passing lane off I guess thats ok but if it hits him it's going in his net we will come back to this. 

Same PK no urgency I guess he gets it out on the 3rd attempt but it's not pretty.

Defending from his knees again. I dunno this is probably coaching but he nearly puts it in his net and this game never goes to OT. 

Anyway like I said over all I thought he had a good game and you make some good points. In going through to grab clips of just Gulyayev his game looked even better than watching it live. Nice to see Miro and Trikozov thought Gleb had a great game too. Thanks for posting the link to this game yesterday.

Here was the Gulyayev play of the game for me.  Defend by any means necessary.

Also Haley Joel Osment has really gone down hill. *Whispers* I sense cheeseburgers.

OK cool. Appreciate you taking the time. I just took exception to the point about escapability, as it seemed to go directly contrary to everything I've seen from the player, and I still haven't seen anything to suggest the contrary. Yeah he's definitely still getting outmuscled at this level, and his defensive game is a work in progress (I see enough positive signs though). His usage this tournament is identical to Kevin Korchinski's last WHL playoffs. Still a younger kid, his pair gets all the offensive zone starts, while the top pair consisting of 19 year olds got the tough minutes. Not entirely dissimilar players, as I had Korchinski tied with Calle Odelius for best d-zone escape artists in that draft. Korchinski has a significant size advantage, but as good as Korchinksi's skating is, Gulyayev is on a different level.

Anyway, really I'm just glad to see Gulyayev being discussed here, aside from that one guy who just keeps saying "he sucks defensively" with no explanation or supporting evidence.

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

OK cool. Appreciate you taking the time. I just took exception to the point about escapability, as it seemed to go directly contrary to everything I've seen from the player, and I still haven't seen anything to suggest the contrary. Yeah he's definitely still getting outmuscled at this level, and his defensive game is a work in progress (I see enough positive signs though). His usage this tournament is identical to Kevin Korchinski's last WHL playoffs. Still a younger kid, his pair gets all the offensive zone starts, while the top pair consisting of 19 year olds got the tough minutes. Not entirely dissimilar players, as I had Korchinski tied with Calle Odelius for best d-zone escape artists in that draft. Korchinski has a significant size advantage, but as good as Korchinksi's skating is, Gulyayev is on a different level.

Anyway, really I'm just glad to see Gulyayev being discussed here, aside from that one guy who just keeps saying "he sucks defensively" with no explanation or supporting evidence.

Oh I agree. You can paint any prospect in any light you wish with a few highlights or low lights. He doesn't suck defensively. There are a few things he could clean up and he needs to get stronger. I'm not as high on him as you but I do certainly think he isn't getting enough respect. 

Different style of D but Simashev is a lot better than anyone seems to be aware of. 

I'm happy to see Strbak finally get a little lime light. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

There are probably 15 players who deserve to be in the Top 10. It's really too bad VAN traded away picks. I love that they have another Top 4 D (Hronek), but this is a strong draft. Envious of DET who have 5 picks in the first two rounds. Damn, they're going to be good again one day. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

So this is kinda cool: Zach Benson has been the one player among the top 10-15 in this draft that I've still barely watched play at all... Well I'm sure I haven't mentioned it, but after living on Vancouver Island for the past three years I recently moved back to Saskatoon, and sure enough the Blades are about to play the Winnipeg Ice in the Conference Finals. Gonna try to get to as many games as I can.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There are probably 15 players who deserve to be in the Top 10. It's really too bad VAN traded away picks. I love that they have another Top 4 D (Hronek), but this is a strong draft. Envious of DET who have 5 picks in the first two rounds. Damn, they're going to be good again one day. 

Its good when you have a wise GM who knows when it is a good idea to tank on purpose. DET were near the playoffs iirc and just blew it up. 

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

Anaheim - Bedard 

Columbus - Fantilli 

Chicago - Calsson 

San Jose - Will Smith  

Montreal - Reinbacher 

Arizona -  Leonard 

Philadelphia - Benson 

Washington - Michkov

Detroit - Moore

St. Louis - Barlow  

Vancouver - Sandin-Pellika 

Ottawa - Wood 

Buffalo - Sale 

Pittsburgh - Dvorsky

Nashville - Danielson 

Calgary - Yager 

Montreal - Honzek 

Michkov at 8 is bold, but I understand the logic.  If Michkov is available to Montreal, I don't see how they pass that up.  They have the 17th pick as well to land a solid prospect.  And if Montreal skips, the same goes for Arizona.  I'd take the chance, especially if I had another top 20 pick in this years draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Michkov at 8 is bold, but I understand the logic.  If Michkov is available to Montreal, I don't see how they pass that up.  They have the 17th pick as well to land a solid prospect.  And if Montreal skips, the same goes for Arizona.  I'd take the chance, especially if I had another top 20 pick in this years draft.

I think with Montreal and Arizona, they arent looking to continue rebuilding for the next 3-4 years and thats likely how long it take for Michkov to get to the league. I think after next season both teams will be pushing for the playoffs and likely become playoff contenders the year after that. I could see San Jose or Chicago picking him up but I think they are more in need of high ceiling centers. Washington will likely begin its rebuild in 2024 and they have enough assets to trade for a ton of draft picks and prospects - Michkov would be thier new Ovechkin. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1