The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Interesting to look at two polar opposite types of scouting re: Dalibor Dvorsky.

Scouching is the epitome of the new-age, analytics-driven online scout. I don't wanna take anything away from Scouch, his data analysis is often very interesting and even useful. But data can only tell you about what a player is doing at their current level.

Grant McCagg heads up Recrutes, in my opinion probably the most trust-worthy of the online media scouting services. McCagg is more of an old school hockey guy, who worked writing scouting reports/profiles for TSN and THN and even scouted for the Habs for a couple years. Not much of a data guy, he's into pure scouting. The art of scouting consists not of evaluating what a player is doing at their current level, but more than anything in assessing and predicting how a prospect will translate to the NHL level.

Scouch has Dvorsky, what is it, 28th on that list? Meanwhile Recrutes has Dvorsky 3rd overall on their latest list.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Interesting to look at two polar opposite types of scouting re: Dalibor Dvorsky.

Scouching is the epitome of the new-age, analytics-driven online scout. I don't wanna take anything away from Scouch, his data analysis is often very interesting and even useful. But data can only tell you about what a player is doing at their current level.

Grant McCagg heads up Recrutes, in my opinion probably the most trust-worthy of the online media scouting services. McCagg is more of an old school hockey guy, who worked writing scouting reports/profiles for TSN and THN and even scouted for the Habs for a couple years. Not much of a data guy, he's into pure scouting. The art of scouting consists not of evaluating what a player is doing at their current level, but more than anything in assessing and predicting how a prospect will translate to the NHL level.

Scouch has Dvorsky, what is it, 28th on that list? Meanwhile Recrutes has Dvorsky 3rd overall on their latest list.

I wouldn't take it he has him set at 28 but he has him in his 5th Tier which he had Marco Kasper in the year before.. soooo ya. Grain of salt Scouching for me

• Vintage 1

I like Scouch's work. I don't always agree with him but I respect the process and the work he puts in. I find he puts a lot of emphasis on players cielings so there tends to be more risky highly skilled guys ranked higher and guys who project to be more prototypical middle 6 fwds tend to get the tier 5 

On 2/22/2023 at 7:23 PM, Pure961089 said:

The worst possible scenario is the Canucks like last year make a late season push and we go from getting a Kent Johnson, or a  Brandt Clarke to a guy like Lekkerimaki (I know different drafts you get my point), in the last few games. 

We have a ridiculously easy schedule down the stretch and are getting Demko back.  We will almost certainly climb up in the standings from here on out.  

• Sad 1

Just have this sneaky feeling we will be drafting Dvorsky assuming all of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Michkov are gone

getting really excited for this draft! Especially if we can accrue a few more picks in the top 3 rounds!

Schenn and Boeser could definitely get us some real draft capital for this year

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Just have this sneaky feeling we will be drafting Dvorsky assuming all of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Michkov are gone

getting really excited for this draft! Especially if we can accrue a few more picks in the top 3 rounds!

Schenn and Boeser could definitely get us some real draft capital for this year

Dvorsky sounds like a Canucks pick, but maybe it's not so bad. He's got some decent size, good shot and can skate well. (NHL in 1-2 years?)

Walking away with Dvorsky and Reinbacher in the 1st round would be alright, assuming VAN doesn't get into the Top 3. 

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I could see us moving all the way to 11th unfortunately.

Obviously we want as high a pick as we can get, but I'd be really happy with 2 picks in the 10-16 range.  As ridiculous as it sounds, I think it is almost better, as that way we likely are able to take 2 Dmen.  I think if we have say 7 and 15, we are going to take the best forward at 7.

If it's between Benson at 7 (for example) and Reinbacher at 11, I think  it would be a toss up as to what serves us better.

If we don't get one of the top 4 picks, the most perfect offseason this year would be to add Reinbacher, Dragicevic and Livingstone.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Obviously we want as high a pick as we can get, but I'd be really happy with 2 picks in the 10-16 range.  As ridiculous as it sounds, I think it is almost better, as that way we likely are able to take 2 Dmen.  I think if we have say 7 and 15, we are going to take the best forward at 7.

If it's between Benson at 7 (for example) and Reinbacher at 11, I think  it would be a toss up as to what serves us better.

If we don't get one of the top 4 picks, the most perfect offseason this year would be to add Reinbacher, Dragicevic and Livingstone.  

Also far less likely to have to dole out a ridiculous second contract to a 21 year old rfa

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

8-11 I think

Naw, we are most likely to finish 7th from the bottom... 8-11 is quite pessimistic IMO. 

Why do you think so, because Demko is coming back? 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Naw, we are most likely to finish 7th from the bottom... 8-11 is quite pessimistic IMO. 

Why do you think so, because Demko is coming back? 

Demko back, easy schedule, improved play and they'll likely get bumped at least one spot.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Demko back, easy schedule, improved play and they'll likely get bumped at least one spot.

I hope you're wrong but it's not that far fetched to think 8th or even 9th overall.  

To drop to 10th would be extremely unlikely though. We're not the only ones with players coming back and an easier schedule.