The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks GM Patrik Allvin Chimes In..

Rate this topic

Canuck You

33 minutes ago, Provost said:

Kind of going off on a crazy half cocked tangent there sparkie.

Brackett has been silent about this whole thing, so isn't some embittered ex-employee venting his frustrations.  It was just a bit of side comment buried in a story about something else entirely that had nothing to do with the Canucks and about how great his new gig is and the perspective of his boss.

Yes, heads of department normally have a LOT of autonomy, no one ever said he wanted complete and sole autonomy.  They get a framework from above and then go to work based on that vision.  They do NOT normally have their own employees and bosses just doing their own thing meddling the detailed day to day operations of their department.   If you have never been at a higher level in any organization, that is how things work.  Oh and guess what, that is what happens on all the other teams in the league.

It isn't a made up narrative, Benning literally publicly said when he promoted Gear that it was done so he and Wiesbrod could be free to be more involved in the day to day operations of the scouting department... that was when Brackett was still in charge of it.  That speaks clearly to all the other reporting that there were only two voices in the front office that mattered.

Oh and the part about Linden recommending Brackett is also about inner front office politics.  Brackett was a Linden guy, and when the coup happened to get rid of Linden it makes sense "his" guys would get iced out as well.

Brackett was really good at his job and is well respected around the league.  He got another job immediately, and has done really well since then by restocking the Wild's prospect pool into one of the better ones in the league all while not bottoming out in the standings to do it.

Benning and Weisbrod are currently unemployed despite being old boys club guys.

The free market speaks pretty loudly.

All I know is this, ever since Bracket left the team. Benning's traded away two consecutive first round picks (2020/2021), two seconds (2020,2022), and a 3rd (2021). So that's effectively 5 of our 9 top picks in the top 100. From a trade value perspective (i.e 1sts are worth multiple 2nds and so on), that's probably over 70% of our draft capital in the first three rounds traded away in the 20/21/22 drafts.

Even if we want to compare the post-Brackett effect, Benning/Weisbrod has made it impossible to. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The Brackett narrative just seems like another storyline to bash Benning.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t support Benning anymore and agree that his mistakes vastly outweighed his good moves.  But this idea that Brackett somehow had no autonomy for the poor drafts but then was conveniently given credit for all the good picks is laughable.

Always take a former employees opinion with a grain of salt. I’m sure he’s a little bitter still with how it went down. But this whole spin job is just baseless. Of course he wasn’t gonna have complete autonomy over his scouting department. I find it kind of arrogant that he would think he’d get that to be honest.

Its already come out that Petey was credited to another scout, Hughes fell into their laps as did Podkolzin. Who exactly are we giving credit to Brackett for that paints him as some wonder scout? Looking at their drafts I see a lot of busts and average picks outside the top 10. Why are we still feeding the legend that was Brackett?

Remember that Benning gave Delorme credit for getting Petey when Delorme was way down the list of scouts recommending Petey.

That fits what were said about Delorme.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I get a kick out of how many forum posters act like they know more than our president, GM and AGMs...

Moronic. 

Some of us knew better than the last group.

We'll see about this new one.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

Reading this thread, a very vocal few are confident they know more than a majority of NHL execs and GMs as well when it comes to GMMG

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-gillis-named-general-manager-of-the-year/c-566844

Mike Gillis Wins the General Manager of the Year Award - 2011 NHL Awards -  HD - YouTube

I totally forgot he won this award.

It makes the people on this forum who used to parade Benning's 6th place finish even more foolish LOOL.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:33 AM, Canuck You said:

Personally, I like this new regime..It's refreshing and feels like we finally have people with proper experience running the show.

The new regime, really handles themselves well when, in front of the camera.  They don't seem to say cooking cutter responses and instead does a better job of articulating when dealing with the media.  Anyways, let's see how he does this season.