Canucks Community

Canucks GM Patrik Allvin Chimes In..

Rate this topic

Canuck You

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I think we went past each other now…

As I repeted a lot of times.

A GM isn’t a scout.

All of you talking about Benning as good only speak of the roster.

Why judge a GM based on the roster when it’s a ton of people involved in the roster process?

A GM should be judged on valuation of the team(company), communication skills and shrewdness in business. Neither was anything Benning was good at even.

This isn’t hating.

It’s an analyse using business googles.

Try that sometime…

Almost every team in NHL should be able to compete for playoff since there are a cap limit.

So if you’re at bottom you failed, tries to save money or is in tank mode.

The owner wanted 3 people in front office. Now twitter poster Chris gear, JB and JW. Why? Because FA had the terrible vision we all experienced and he thought he could run the show and save money at the same time. Every decision made ran though him. Last 8 years is on FA. I doubt JB even had the ability to replace greener.

So it really doesn't matter what people try to agrue about. At the end of the day the owner did what he wanted and we/the organization suffered big time. Can't deny he finally realized this and allowed for sweeping expensive changes all throughout the organization which is nice to see

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

The owner wanted 3 people in front office. Now twitter poster Chris gear, JB and JW. Why? Because FA had the terrible vision we all experienced and he thought he could run the show and save money at the same time. Every decision made ran though him. Last 8 years is on FA. I doubt JB even had the ability to replace greener.

So it really doesn't matter what people try to agrue about. At the end of the day the owner did what he wanted and we/the organization suffered big time. Can't deny he finally realized this and allowed for sweeping expensive changes all throughout the organization which is nice to see

Thanks for put some more nails in Bennings coffin. B)

A GM that let himself be overruled under 8 years doesn't have the balls to be a GM. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I mostly agree.  I think our owner sets the direction he’d like the team to go.  But it’s up to the GM to then set a course of action to follow that direction.  For example, Aquilini would tell the GM he wants to keep a winning team that gets into the playoffs.  Then the GM tries to fulfil that.  Benning is 100% responsible for his terrible hockey decisions.  

Now the direction from the owner sounds the same as with Benn8ng.  Keep trying to win and get into the playoffs.  The new management is way more like Gillis, than Benn8ng though.  They have hired lots of smart people and are encouraging them to speak up.  Benn8ng got rid of those who had opinions that differed from his.  

As for the Miller situation I think our owner would need to approve him being traded.  He wouldn’t have anything to d9 with the workings of the trade, but would want to know what the results of a Miller Trade would do t9 the club’s overall direction.  Will there be a step back, and how big it will be and how long to leap ahead.  That kind of stuff.  But not the actual return.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

A GM that let himself be overruled under 8 years doesn't have the balls to be a GM. 

That feels like such a sitting on the couch opinion.

Bosses overrule decisions all the time. They get to do that because they own everything. 

let's pretend.....

You have a job and your boss tells you what he wants you to do because it's a job and you're his employee. That's life. 

It's like you're working at a pizza place and the boss says he wants to use a different mozzarella made in Abbotsford. You suggest to him "I dunno, I don't think that will be as good." The boss tells you that's what he wants and if you don't do it, he'll get someone who will. So you buy the cheese and like you thought, the cheese was greasy and not very good and you had to throw it out and it ended up in court over sexual misconduct allegations. 

So you didn't get the right ingredients and the pizza just didn't work out. However,  you listened to the boss and that bought you more years of work making millions cooking unsatisfactory pizza. 

Now unemployed, you sit next to your pool in your mansion pondering your decisions. You will always wonder how that pizza might have tasted had you been given free range in decision making and not had a boss looking over your shoulder. Your thoughts are interrupted by the alarm on your phone letting you know it's time for your 2pm massage. You polish off your margarita and head inside.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

BS.  An owner that has balls would've taken responsibility for first of all hiring a rookie president/gm, and then not replacing the president and taking the cheap way out.  We were one of the only teams that didn't have a President of Hockey Operations besides Montreal where they had the owner as an acting President. 

Geoff Molson, an owner with balls: 

"If I could back up a few years, and know what I know today, I would've complemented him (GM) with another person (a president)"  ...  

53 minutes ago, dr.naughtypants said:

That feels like such a sitting on the couch opinion.

Bosses overrule decisions all the time. They get to do that because they own everything. 

let's pretend.....

You have a job and your boss tells you what he wants you to do because it's a job and you're his employee. That's life. 

It's like you're working at a pizza place and the boss says he wants to use a different mozzarella made in Abbotsford. You suggest to him "I dunno, I don't think that will be as good." The boss tells you that's what he wants and if you don't do it, he'll get someone who will. So you buy the cheese and like you thought, the cheese was greasy and not very good and you had to throw it out and it ended up in court over sexual misconduct allegations. 

So you didn't get the right ingredients and the pizza just didn't work out. However,  you listened to the boss and that bought you more years of work making millions cooking unsatisfactory pizza. 

Now unemployed, you sit next to your pool in your mansion pondering your decisions. You will always wonder how that pizza might have tasted had you been given free range in decision making and not had a boss looking over your shoulder. Your thoughts are interrupted by the alarm on your phone letting you know it's time for your 2pm massage. You polish off your margarita and head inside.

I talked about balls… You didn’t understand that part huh? 
If the top man in the company can’t handle the owner he isn’t qualified for the job.

It’s very easy.

We’re not talking about an underpaid pizza baker here. B)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

BS.  An owner that has balls would've taken responsibility for first of all hiring a rookie president/gm, and then not replacing the president and taking the cheap way out.  We were one of the only teams that didn't have a President of Hockey Operations besides Montreal where they had the owner as an acting President. 

Geoff Molson, an owner with balls: 

"If I could back up a few years, and know what I know today, I would've complemented him (GM) with another person (a president)"  ...  

Did you mix the GM/owner bit? 
I can say that if Benning had an meddling owner he should have hired a president but if Benning wanted to decide for himself he convinces the owner that a president isn’t needed.

I get Trumpvibes from Benning and his pal Weisbroad.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Did you mix the GM/owner bit? 
I can say that if Benning had an meddling owner he should have hired a president but if Benning wanted to decide for himself he convinces the owner that a president isn’t needed.

I get Trumpvibes from Benning and his pal Weisbroad.

No, it's Aquaman's call to hire a president, not Benning.  

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No, it's Aquaman's call to hire a president, not Benning.  

Who is the guy that knows most about an NHL organisation?

Benning or Aquaman? 
If you say Aquaman is the most knowledgable of the two I agree with you. 

18 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I think we went past each other now…

As I repeted a lot of times.

A GM isn’t a scout.

All of you talking about Benning as good only speak of the roster.

Why judge a GM based on the roster when it’s a ton of people involved in the roster process?

A GM should be judged on valuation of the team(company), communication skills and shrewdness in business. Neither was anything Benning was good at even.

This isn’t hating.

It’s an analyse using business googles.

Try that sometime…

Almost every team in NHL should be able to compete for playoff since there are a cap limit.

So if you’re at bottom you failed, tries to save money or is in tank mode.

What team doesn't drop to the bottom when rebuilding? There are 32 teams and only 16 make the playoffs. At any given time at least 8 teams are rebulding or working to come out of a rebuild. Every team goes through the cycle under a salary cap.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Baggins said:

What team doesn't drop to the bottom when rebuilding? There are 32 teams and only 16 make the playoffs. At any given time at least 8 teams are rebulding or working to come out of a rebuild. Every team goes through the cycle under a salary cap.

If you’re spending every dollar up to cap it’s resonable to expect a playoff spot.

At least compete for the last ones(so it’s a failure to spend every dime and miss playoffs).

And if your not you should leave a lot of millions up to cap so you’re prepared when the right player is available. 

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If you’re spending every dollar up to cap it’s resonable to expect a playoff spot.

At least compete for the last ones(so it’s a failure to spend every dime and miss playoffs).

And if your not you should leave a lot of millions up to cap so you’re prepared when the right player is available. 

Depends on where you are spending the money.

If your cap is being eaten up by other teams cap dumps, and you are stocking up on picks and prospects, then go ahead and spend spend spend.

• Cheers 1

I talked about balls… You didn’t understand that part huh? 
If the top man in the company can’t handle the owner he isn’t qualified for the job.

It’s very easy.

We’re not talking about an underpaid pizza baker here. B)

Yikes, your seem really testy (balls joke). My reading comprehension is great. I understood everything you said and disagree. No big deal, the world is filled with different opinions. I just don't think you understand how the hierarchy in a business works. 

Edited by dr.naughtypants
  • Cheers 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:21 PM, ilduce39 said:

It’s boring to say but we really can’t judge this management team until we see what they manage do with Miller. 

So far it’s been a few small nice moves / steady as she goes.  

Only “bigger” decision so far seems to be choosing keeping Rathbone + signing Mikhayev over trading for Marino.  

Correct!    All we've seen is the usual couple of peripheral changes that we saw every off season from 'ol Uncle Jim.    We'll just have to wait another 2-3 years for the old contracts to get burned thru and then see what type of team they rebuild once they have some freedom to move.  The Jim Benning mess will take a bit of time to clean up.

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

And yet 16 teams miss the playoffs every year. How did it work out for Vegas? Over the cap (using LTI), buyer at the deadline, yet missed the playoffs. Oops. Life doesn't come with guarantees.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Baggins said:

And yet 16 teams miss the playoffs every year. How did it work out for Vegas? Over the cap (using LTI), buyer at the deadline, yet missed the playoffs. Oops. Life doesn't come with guarantees.

Exactly, wich is why they failed their objective. 
They were loosers. 

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Exactly, wich is why they failed their objective. 
They were loosers. 

It happens every year. It has nothing to do with "losers" and everything to do with "that's life" trying to make the playoffs with a salary cap. The objective should always be shooting for a playoff spot.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, dr.naughtypants said:

Yikes, your seem really testy (balls joke). My reading comprehension is great. I understood everything you said and disagree. No big deal, the world is filled with different opinions. I just don't think you understand how the hierarchy in a business works. 

Hierarchy… So you say the highest boss in companies is puppets, making pizza, is a bad headhunter(Green) etc.

I only see a lot of excuses why Benning failed.

Gillis has been the main reason before Benning got fired.

After that, when Benning himself managed to be worse than Gillis, it’s the owner, Green or whatever.