The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kind of balances out. Calgary has better defence. We have better forwards. Goalies are similar. Different coaching styles too.

if we can somehow figure out how to bring in one more top 4 RHD this season or next I like our chances. 

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

numbers make no difference, it's their style ofplay and wear and tear on their bodies

Yet Bert played 1159 games and Iginla 1554.  Only Neely (726 games) fits that narrative, and yes, iirc, retired due to chronic back pain.  Was season preparation and conditioning so much better after the turn of the century?

The one thing about comparables is that that's all it is - a data point. If JT Miller is looking for 10M+ AAV, he needs to find a team that's actually willing and able to commit that much of their cap to him. He'll likely be the top player on that team, and the other forwards will end up using him as their comparable when their own contract expires. Who do we really think will give him that much of their cap space and make him the top paid forward on their team?

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver

33 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

The one thing about comparables is that that's all it is - a data point. If JT Miller is looking for 10M+ AAV, he needs to find a team that's actually willing and able to commit that much of their cap to him. He'll likely be the top player on that team, and the other forwards will end up using him as their comparable when their own contract expires. Who do we really think will give him that much of their cap space and make him the top paid forward on their team?

He won't get $10m, but he's going to get paid a large number with a long term........neither of which the Canucks should look at taking on

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's weird. Normally curse words are censored automatically. I don't even think to check my post after I made it. 

Anyways, I edited it.

I did on my reply too. It’s a rare moment on CDC and I’m a child haha 

• Cheers 1

All this talk that Huberdeau got 10.5, therefore Miller won't sign for 8 seems a little off base to me.  Huberdeau has averaged 1.21 pts per game in the last 4 years.  Miller has averaged .95.  That is a huge difference.  

Also, Treliving overpaid about 10-15% and 1 year just to make a point that Calgary is not a wasteland and top players will sign there.  I think he would have gotten 9-9.5 over 7 years on the open market at his age.

I don't pretend to know how much Miller will sign for, but I don't think the two are as comparable as everybody else thinks.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

All this talk that Huberdeau got 10.5, therefore Miller won't sign for 8 seems a little off base to me.  Huberdeau has averaged 1.21 pts per game in the last 4 years.  Miller has averaged .95.  That is a huge difference.  

Also, Treliving overpaid about 10-15% and 1 year just to make a point that Calgary is not a wasteland and top players will sign there.  I think he would have gotten 9-9.5 over 7 years on the open market at his age.

I don't pretend to know how much Miller will sign for, but I don't think the two are as comparable as everybody else thinks.

I'm betting both Miller and his agent disagree on that

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm betting both Miller and his agent disagree on that

I'm sure you're right, but even in Miller's best year of his life, Huberdeau had 16 more points.  He and his agent would have a hard time with most GM's making the argument they are worth the same.

4 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I'm sure you're right, but even in Miller's best year of his life, Huberdeau had 16 more points.  He and his agent would have a hard time with most GM's making the argument they are worth the same.

I don't disagree, but you could also make a case that Miller is a far more complete, more versatile player who also plays C, rather than wing.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

He won't get $10m, but he's going to get paid a large number with a long term........neither of which the Canucks should look at taking on

How much? 9M AAV for 8 years? Which team's actually going to be willing to do that? Who has the cap space next year and is willing to make him their top paid forward for the next few years? Those should be our potential trading partners.

1 minute ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

How much? 9M AAV for 8 years? Which team's actually going to be willing to do that? Who has the cap space next year and is willing to make him their top paid forward for the next few years? Those should be our potential trading partners.

there will always be teams willing to do that........they did with JG.  I think the most likely trading artners for Miller will be teams looking for a rental at 50% retained.

Just now, Kelly Green said:

This reeks of desperation to me, after Johnny Jockey and Tkachoo both said no to 10M+ Treliving is trying to make a point by over-paying.

That's every Canadian team, not just Calgary.......... especially with American players

• Upvote 1