The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

Hahahahahahaha.

10.5x8 

good for JH taking advantage of The flames fear of losing him. Cashed in and got an unmovable Retirement contract. 

This is going  to be on the worst contracts in the league list in three years. Which will be only 2 years into the new deal. 

the exact thing Vancouver should avoid 35-38 year old taking 10 mill in cap is the definition of stupid. 

I guess when nobody wants to play/stay in your city you have to grossly overspend. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Believe it or not, I'm sure players have respected Sutter too. All coaches have a shelf life, that's how pro sports go. Boudreau has one too, doubt he's here in three years.

It's fun to dump on Alberta but you consistently lean into hyperbole.

If anything this signing gives Miller more leverage.

deflated GIF

The "30 year old miller isn't going to get a long term, high aav contract in a flat cap" crowd after seeing this signing

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mll said:

How many teams would give 10.5M x 8 to a 30 year old.  Montreal is in a retool and unlikely to give him that kind of contract - they are not ready to contend just yet.  There's not much cap space around the league and it's expected to be just as tight next year (- the escrow balance is not yet paid out).  

He's currently playing in the LSHL in Montreal - the equivalent of Da Beauty League.  Maybe his summer is spread in 2.

Not very many. That’s why JT Miller is still a Canuck and not re-signed yet. I am sure he is asking for over $9 million which is why JR is saying they are far far apart. 

I am sure Treliving knew the number it would take to re-sign Huberdeau which is why it was done so quickly after the trade. They offered him the same contract they were going to give Gaudreau. 

I don’t think Huberdeau gets $10.5 million as a UFA, but if he hated Calgary I am sure he would have at least tested free agency to see what was out there. But of course signing the contract today means full security for 8 more years so not many players would walk away from that. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not very many. That’s why JT Miller is still a Canuck and not re-signed yet. I am sure he is asking for over $9 million which is why JR is saying they are far far apart. 

I am sure Treliving knew the number it would take to re-sign Huberdeau which is why it was done so quickly after the trade. They offered him the same contract they were going to give Gaudreau. 

I don’t think Huberdeau gets $10.5 million as a UFA, but if hated Calgary I am sure he would have at least tested free agency to see what was out there. But of course signing the contract today means full security for 8 more years so not many players would walk away from that. 

GM's know we need to get cap complacent prior ro puck drop, and playing the waiting game. They know we will be much more trigger happy soon enough. My hope would be a top 6 proven player, prospect, # 1 pick, with some other sweetener as well. BUT they must also take one of our problem contracts, we may need to eat half their salary, but still gives a bit more money which we beyond need.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not really that’s $21mill of actual dollars and a terrible cap hit for ages 37 and 38. 

After they pay the year 7 signing bonus, makes him a easier sell, presuming he can still maintain a level of production.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, structured so that they can dump him in year 7 or 8 a little more easily. 

Sure if Calgary is willing to spend high picks and prospects to move that contract at that point

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not really that’s $21mill of actual dollars and a terrible cap hit for ages 37 and 38. 

I believe just like Loui the signing bonus must be paid the first week of July so they could trade him in the summer of year 7 with only $11.5 million in real dollars owing for the last 2 years. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, combover said:

the exact thing Vancouver should avoid 35-38 year old taking 10 mill in cap is the definition of stupid. 

Its not perfect, but if you win a Cup in Vancouver as a fan I probably dont care that there are a bunch of lean years at the end where hopefully the management group is smart enough to hoard draft picks while they wait out the contract.  just dont have more than a couple of them at most.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1