I love betting against Vancouver.

They win, I win!

They lose, I win!

I call that the perfect hedge.

I know that's the Don Tayler strategy

But I don't like it

You could also say, using that method:

If Vancouver wins, you lose (money)

If they lose, you lose (a positive feel good fan experience)

Whereas if you bet for them

If they win, you win DOUBLELY!

And if they lose, even if you make some coin, you still are lamenting a drop in the standings, which money can't fix. And even worse if it's a Calgary or Edmonton game

:)

• Like 1

Just now, kilgore said:

I know that's the Don Tayler strategy

But I don't like it

You could also say, using that method:

If Vancouver wins, you lose (money)

If they lose, you lose (a positive feel good fan experience)

Whereas if you bet for them

If they win, you win DOUBLELY!

And if they lose, even if you make some coin, you still are lamenting a drop in the standings, which money can't fix. And even worse if it's a Calgary or Edmonton game

:)

Well don't be silly if it's Calgary you bet tie.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Okay, but the fact still remains we didn’t make the playoffs with JT having a career year.  As he ages is he going to get better or decline bit by bit? 

As he ages, I expect Petey might not fall on his face like he did when he was hurt. So there's that.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

So I hope you're prepared to see this through. Like if we happen to win a couple rounds again? That your certainty will be admitted as a mistake on your part?

You're so convinced we won't, but I'm not sure how you can be. Why even play out the season then? We concede. No point in this.

"Ugh, this again" is right. I mean, I went to my Dad's...took a couple hour break and it's the same ol' spin cycle. You're fighting hard to prove a point that...really won't be proven until the season plays out. Then you can have your I told you so moment (or not).

We are all HUGE Canuck fans.  We all want our team to win the Cup.  If we go on a playoff run and JTM is the “key” to our winning, of course we will be happy.  The fact we are facing though is JTM had a career year and we still missed the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We are all HUGE Canuck fans.  We all want our team to win the Cup.  If we go on a playoff run and JTM is the “key” to our winning, of course we will be happy.  The fact we are facing though is JTM had a career year and we still missed the playoffs.

Petey was hurt.

The team had a dismal start under Green.

So please, don't omit the things that matter.

If Petey was healthy and we had a better start....we would've been there.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Also, I bet longshots, always have.

I love it when people are so sure of the favourite that doesn't come in. And I go cash in my ticket because I saw something they didn't.

When you're dealing with live creatures/humans, it's a little unpredictable. Especially when the oddsmakers likely don't factor in some of the things they should. They often factor in past performances....but Petey was hurt. And Green. And....

whatever.

I'll bet on my team. you guys keep coming up with arguments based on your opinions but I don't think you know as much as you think you do. Because you've got it all figured out but no one possibly can at this point.

Good for you to bet on longshots and win.  But by definition…a longshot is not really considered a contender.  That goes into the category of “make the playoffs and anything can happen”.

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s opinion.  And I don’t recall anyone saying “they got it all figured out”.  Slight criticism and some posters are labelled as know-it-alls.

I think the Canucks have a very good chance to make the playoffs.  I HOPE they win the cup but I do not think they have the pieces just yet to go deep.  But if you TRULY believe the Canucks can win the cup this year, it shouldn’t be a problem to bet your life savings on the Canucks.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I never said we can't become a contender, I hope we do! But we are not one now, sorry.

And as good as JTM is right now and as good as his contract is right now, some will question if the timing (for us to become a legitimate Cup contender) is right for such a contract with a 30 year old player who is not really an elite guy.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, BPA said:

Good for you to bet on longshots and win.  But by definition…a longshot is not really considered a contender.  That goes into the category of “make the playoffs and anything can happen”.

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s opinion.  And I don’t recall anyone saying “they got it all figured out”.  Slight criticism and some posters are labelled as know-it-alls.

I think the Canucks have a very good chance to make the playoffs.  I HOPE they win the cup but I do not think they have the pieces just yet to go deep.  But if you TRULY believe the Canucks can win the cup this year, it shouldn’t be a problem to bet your life savings on the Canucks.

Some people are stating things as fact with statements of "they will" "they won't" "they aren't". You know, they've got it all figured out, even if they didn't outwardly state that. Their statements do.

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Petey was hurt.

The team had a dismal start under Green.

So please, don't omit the things that matter.

If Petey was healthy and we had a better start....we would've been there.

I hear you but Tampa made the playoffs without Kooch. Winners win. 

Now don't get me wrong, I hope Van wins.

Edited by Chris12345

Okay, but the fact still remains we didn’t make the playoffs with JT having a career year.  As he ages is he going to get better or decline bit by bit? 

The TEAM will get better with him but by bit every year..

Its not just about JT ,   It what the bigger scenario looks like.

He might dwindle done to a 40 point pl  as yet in his 8th year,.  But the life in the game he shapes with others pays us back.

He sets an impression and standard that all the boys look up to and want to play like.

I say put him with Podz and Mihky next season and let that be the 3rd line,.   I bet you the style of game he brings, has them both close to doubling their out put..

Create any line with him,.  It reflects not his point abilities,  but the nature of his game.

Ethic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And as good as JTM is right now and as good as his contract is right now, some will question if the timing (for us to become a legitimate Cup contender) is right for such a contract with a 30 year old player who is not really an elite guy.  

"Not really an elite guy".  I bet most hockey experts disagree with you at this point.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

How have we done with all our “elite” players historically?

11 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Call me crazy and I apologize for the profanity but I think Calgary is actually better this year.

They might not finish as high in the standings point wise but I always thought they sucked last year. Not so sure this year.

Team chemistry is very important.  They had it last year because those players had been playing for some years.  You can’t just throw talent together and expect chemistry, that takes time.  Petey, Boeser, Miller, Horvat and Hughes have been playing for a few years now.  They sprinkle in a new player every year gradually

Man, I need to see some Canuck hockey soon. Why doesn’t the NHL begin training camp right after labour day? It would be perfect. People always say the playoffs go too far into summer. Let’s start this season now…. Goodness, I need my Canuck fix.

Edited by Slegr
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So...by the standards set here by some, Avs were not "true contenders" yet....they won the cup. I mean, getting "into" the playoffs doesn't cut it, remember? Means nothing. Bubble stuff. I'm sure the yardsticks'll be moved now though. 

You know what makes a team a contender? Not just a roster...on paper. Staying injury free. Goaltender playing lights out. Getting good/fair officiating. Guys firing on all cylinders at the same time (hot streaks vs cold ones). 

And getting into the playoffs gives teams experience (and confidence). 

It isn't predetermined. There are probabilities, sure. But you can't predict all of those things working out at the same time.  It just can't be dumbed down like that and I'm surprised that some people are so stubborn they don't consider all the factors that could weigh in. Not just who is the bestest.

image.png 

Who thinks the Avs weren't true contenders last year? They were considered the favourite by many.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

As he ages, I expect Petey might not fall on his face like he did when he was hurt. So there's that.

And here is where (I think?) we agree.  For us to win a Cup (be a legitimate Cup contender, like the Gillis teams were) we need Miller to be like he is now and Petey to overtake him as our best forward.  Then we have two great players at forward (like Hank and Danny) who are supported by a very good player in Bo.  And now, unlike before, we have Hughes - a truly great Dman.  And, of course, we have Bubble Boy.