The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

For me, it's not popular around here, but I'm just not a Rathbone fan. If the D gets reworked and the bottom pairing is Dermott and Bear? I'm happy. Myers has to be the odd man out to rework the top four. I agree Bear could maybe be second pairing which would be even better because a Dermott and Burroughs bottom pairing would be sweet. Maybe Bear and OEL as second pairing Hughes and someone other than Myers as his partner via trade, UFA. Keep Schenn, he's a beast. He and Burr can rotate through the linep as needed. Myers has to go, has to, imho.

I could see Myers flipped next year at the deadline, or maybe this year if we take cap back. 

I question whether Burroughs has a future here, I think folks are overly high on him. He could be signed on as depth, but I reckon Bear, Stillman, and Dermott are all here next season. Maybe Rathbone, maybe not. He could be traded but he's not worth much imo. Maybe Schenn comes back. I like what Burroughs brings but I'm not gonna get hung up on what's probably a 5D at best. 

Bear is likely a top 4 stopgap but that'll probably have to do in the meantime, finding two top 4RD sooner than later isn't going to be easy. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I could see Myers flipped next year at the deadline, or maybe this year if we take cap back. 

I question whether Burroughs has a future here, I think folks are overly high on him. He could be signed on as depth, but I reckon Bear, Stillman, and Dermott are all here next season. Maybe Rathbone, maybe not. He could be traded but he's not worth much imo. Maybe Schenn comes back. I like what Burroughs brings but I'm not gonna get hung up on what's probably a 5D at best. 

Bear is likely a top 4 stopgap but that'll probably have to do in the meantime, finding two top 4RD sooner than later isn't going to be easy. 

I actually like Myers, but his chemistry and fit on this team is like oil and water; he is no good with OEL nor Hughes and is too expensive for the 3rd pair. I would shop him aggressively now (I think PA is..where there is smoke there is fire) as the amount of cap take back or even at all is the lowest it will be now with injuries at RHD around the league.

Bear is rounding into a very good option to pair with OEL, and since they have been together, OEL has turned his game around IMHO. I'd hope they can work something out; very good #4 guy. Kudos PA..just wish you had done that in Sept vs. the Stillman acquistion.

3rd pair has a bunch of options currently....that is my point in all this; PA has acquired a bunch of 6/7 guys that make 1.4m+, yet we have options that play better and make less. A lpair of Rathbone/Dermott/Burroughs-Burroughs/Schenn would be great in 2023. Jettison Stillman or it is worth the 200k to bury him in the minors.

That leaves 1st pair; that'll require a trade in my opinion for a prospect OR an overpay (trade/FA) for a proven guy. If we can get Myers off the books (or a big %) and a trade of a redundant fwd, we have ample room.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Burroughs is an underdog, he's a probably a 5 guy at best. It's easy to root for an underdog, or to get attached to one. But at the end of the day he's a depth guy and depth D aren't hard to come by. 

I'm pretty sure the coaching staff know what they've got on D. 

Ya I agree it was just hard as a fan to see stillman play over him for so long. Didn't make sense to me

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

You're a push-over.  You should have landed a 7th rounder too.

I am a Black Friday noob. What I do now though is I trade my 7th rounder for the opposing team's 6th rounder. Or upgrade any really pick that way. Except 1st and 2nd rounders. They don't do 2nds for my 3rds in these types of nickel and dime deals. :ph34r: Being a GM is so easy. I'd have us competing for a cup in 2 years. 3 max.

17 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

I actually like Myers, but his chemistry and fit on this team is like oil and water; he is no good with OEL nor Hughes and is too expensive for the 3rd pair. I would shop him aggressively now (I think PA is..where there is smoke there is fire) as the amount of cap take back or even at all is the lowest it will be now with injuries at RHD around the league.

Bear is rounding into a very good option to pair with OEL, and since they have been together, OEL has turned his game around IMHO. I'd hope they can work something out; very good #4 guy. Kudos PA..just wish you had done that in Sept vs. the Stillman acquistion.

3rd pair has a bunch of options currently....that is my point in all this; PA has acquired a bunch of 6/7 guys that make 1.4m+, yet we have options that play better and make less. A lpair of Rathbone/Dermott/Burroughs-Burroughs/Schenn would be great in 2023. Jettison Stillman or it is worth the 200k to bury him in the minors.

That leaves 1st pair; that'll require a trade in my opinion for a prospect OR an overpay (trade/FA) for a proven guy. If we can get Myers off the books (or a big %) and a trade of a redundant fwd, we have ample room.

Myers aint' a bad player, he's just a poor fit. Agreed. I question what a move would look like though, I could see him being moved at next season's deadline or in the offseason once teams have more space. 

Bear's been fine, I reckon he's just a stopgap though. Maybe not, we'll see, still pretty early. 

I dunno, depends. Burroughs is a solid player but he's by no means irreplaceable. Hard to say what happens with Schenn too. Maybe he's traded, maybe he opts to go elsewhere. Maybe he's extended and we dump someone. 

Nah, I reckon we need two top 4RD still. A Myers replacement and a partner for Hughes. I figure Bear's a tweener who can step up when needed at best, which isn't a bad thing. 

Edited by Coconuts

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Myers aint' a bad player, he's just a poor fit. Agreed. I question what a move would look like though, I could see him being moved at next season's deadline or in the offseason once teams have more space. 

Bear's been fine, I reckon he's just a stopgap though. Maybe not, we'll see, still pretty early. 

I dunno, depends. Burroughs is a solid player but he's by no means irreplaceable. Hard to say what happens with Schenn too. Maybe he's traded, maybe he opts to go elsewhere. Maybe he's extended and we dump someone. 

Nah, I reckon we need two top 4RD still. A Myers replacement and a partner for Hughes. I figure Bear's a tweener who can step up when needed at best, which isn't a bad thing. 

Bear is a good story and the Canucks are a good fit.  I see a long-term deal.

You're right about Myers.  If he was on an Edler deal, that would be the right fit.  I have nothing against Myers.......he just got given 2 years too many on his contract (and 1-2M/yr too much).  

14 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Bear is a good story and the Canucks are a good fit.  I see a long-term deal.

You're right about Myers.  If he was on an Edler deal, that would be the right fit.  I have nothing against Myers.......he just got given 2 years too many on his contract (and 1-2M/yr too much).  

I'm the opposite. I don't think Myers deal is much of a problem in isolation, but he has zero fit on this team :lol:

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Nice Legs !! ;) 

Just know that I don’t say this to everyone on here :) 

You sir win the award for strangest reason for a necro bump. 

And don't lie, you told me my legs were smooth and buttery just last week.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You sir win the award for strangest reason for a necro bump. 

And don't lie, you told me my legs were smooth and buttery just last week.

That was last week HSKR ,  I don’t condone a country club atmosphere,  
Shape up or ship out ..  time to throw on a teddy or sumptin scanty ;) 

• Haha 2

On 11/24/2022 at 4:32 PM, Shayster007 said:

It closed one door and opened another. Management was in those phone calls and I just hope they have a finger on the pulse better then us. It's possible another door would have opened this trade deadline, but that would have also come with a lot of risk that one didn't.

I don't think taking on money is a massi r faliure if it's the right money. A shorter term contract, or a player that fills a need that we want anyways. Can still mine value.

Im telling you guys... Miller to Columbus before ntc kicks in. Signed sealed and delivered. 

Pretty much we bound and ducktaped him to a chair and sent him via FedEx. He really has no say. 

Total dick move but hey, new culture in Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Im telling you guys... Miller to Columbus before ntc kicks in. Signed sealed and delivered. 

Pretty much we bound and ducktaped him to a chair and sent him via FedEx. He really has no say. 

Total dick move but hey, new culture in Vancouver. 

Friggin hope you're right. I never wanted to sign Miller and sure he hell don't want him in our books over the next 7 years..

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1