The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TV - Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power

RUPERTKBD

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

There are people of colour in the books. 

This is what I’ve been trying to explain to you, without success seemingly. 

Latino, Asian, African, Celtic, Nordic cultures are not a part of the FANTASY world created by Mr. Tolkien. 

Nowhere are those people or cultures mentioned. 

People and Hobbits of different skin complexion/colours however, are, by Mr Tolkien. 

Why are you so obsessed with skin colour in a fantasy show?

Thats weird. 

Dozens among dozens of characters in the movies, plus thousands of extras and not a single race other than white were casted lol.   Medieval Europe.  I'm not obsessed, I'm explaining why I am right.   

4 hours ago, King Loui said:

Why are there no black, asian, latino etc characters in any of the books or movies?

It's like when they stared David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin monk in Kung Fu instead of Bruce Lee, who got rejected for being Asian.  Or casting John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror.  Lot of Western movies never had non white actors as a main character.  Original Star Wars were mostly white folks, and the ones with power were all white.  If you watch Asian cinema like Indian or Hong Kong films, your will find very little black or Caucasian actors.  If the story is based on real world events (Ghenis Khan for example), the substitution is less acceptable but sometimes understandable.  But when we are talking about a fictious world like LOTR, Star Trek, Star Wars etc, it doesn't matter.  Good acting, story and production matter more.  Where the movie is produced and what studio owns it will dictate who is being cast. They need to make money, and will act accordingly.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It's like when they stared David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin monk in King Fu instead of Bruce Lee, who got rejected for being Asian.  Or casting John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror.  Lot of Western movies never had non white actors as a main character.  Original Star Wars were mostly white folks, and the ones with power were all white.  If you watch Asian cinema like Indian or Hong Kong films, your will find very little black or Caucasian actors.  If the story is based on real world events (Ghenis Khan for example), the substitution is less acceptable but sometimes understandable.  But when we are talking about a fictious world like LOTR, Star Trek, Star Wars etc, it doesn't matter.  Good acting, story and production matter more.  Where the movie is produced and what studio owns it will dictate who is being cast. They need to make money, and will act accordingly.  

Literally all you and others need to do is google what inspired Tolkien's Middle earth.  This is painful

Peace

1 hour ago, King Loui said:

Nobody cares about the skin color, it's about the original story and hollywood/amazon politicizing and ruining yet another great movies/series.  Nobody caarreessss about the race.  Get over it.

Says the guy who goes on and on about skin color and race. You're the one who needs to get over it.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, King Loui said:

Dozens among dozens of characters in the movies, plus thousands of extras and not a single race other than white were casted lol.   Medieval Europe.  I'm not obsessed, I'm explaining why I am right.   

White is not a race.

There is no Medieval Europe in Middle Earth. 

You’re not right. Not even close. 

You’re wrong. Dead wrong. Mayor of Wrongville wrong. 

Get over the whole race and skin colour thing. You sound like a weirdo. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

White is not a race.

There is no Medieval Europe in Middle Earth. 

You’re not right. Not even close. 

You’re wrong. Dead wrong. Mayor of Wrongville wrong. 

Get over the whole race and skin colour thing. You sound like a weirdo. 

has zero to do about race, it's about the original story.  Google it

Tolkien wrote at the beginning of the 20th century, complaining that unlike the neighboring countries of Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, England had little mythology of its own. He wanted to create a mythology for his country and drew inspiration from Germanic and Scandinavian mythology and his fondness of Nordic and Anglo-Saxon culture.

11 minutes ago, King Loui said:

Tolkien wrote at the beginning of the 20th century, complaining that unlike the neighboring countries of Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, England had little mythology of its own. He wanted to create a mythology for his country and drew inspiration from Germanic and Scandinavian mythology and his fondness of Nordic and Anglo-Saxon culture.

I read the books at least 20 times when i was a kid. I assumed Ghan buri Ghan's tribe, the Drudedain, were added to include people newly revealed (to Europeans) by the anthropologists of Tolkien's time. 

Just looked it up. I was wrong. My childhood was a lie. 

40 minutes ago, King Loui said:

The original story of LOTR has a prologue literally stating that there were different coloured hobbits, the Harwoods. 

It’s literally out of the book. 

Are you dense? 

• Cheers 1

On 9/7/2022 at 6:15 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Game of the Rings.....

....or A Song of Elves & Fire.....:unsure:

Hey Rupe have you seen the Wheel of Time series ? 

I don't stream or have the internet apart from my phone and tablet for Lachie. 

I refuse to have anything to do with Amazon full stop.

I have been told by fans of the book series it ain't that great. 

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The original story of LOTR has a prologue literally stating that there were different coloured hobbits, the Harwoods. 

It’s literally out of the book. 

Are you dense? 

Even quoting it doesn't seem to change his mind.  Apparently he understands what Tolkien's characters should look like better than Tolkien.

• Cheers 1

“I want to start by saying: These are not real,” Whoopi said on the Sept. 6 episode of The View. “There are no dragons, there are no hobbits, and there are critics who are saying they were too woke by adding — yes — diverse characters, Are you telling me Black people can’t be fake too?’ ” 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/elijah-wood-26-more-e2-80-98lotr-e2-80-99-stars-support-e2-80-98rings-of-power-e2-80-99-cast-against-racist-trolls/ar-AA11zR5w?PC=EMMX01

• Upvote 1

It's funny how certain people get all up in arms and say "They're not being true to Tolkien's vision!" because people of color have been cast in Middle Earth roles....

....yet none of these "purists" seem to have any issue whatsoever with the exclusion of Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel in the movies....:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Hey Rupe have you seen the Wheel of Time series ? 

I don't stream or have the internet apart from my phone and tablet for Lachie. 

I refuse to have anything to do with Amazon full stop.

I have been told by fans of the book series it ain't that great. 

I have seen it and yes, I thought it was pretty mediocre. That being said, I haven't read the books, so I have no frame of reference.

I thought The Expanse was excellent however, and it has made me consider buying the books even though there are a lot of them....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's funny how certain people get all up in arms and say "They're not being true to Tolkien's vision!" because people of color have been cast in Middle Earth roles....

....yet none of these "purists" seem to have any issue whatsoever with the exclusion of Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel in the movies....:rolleyes:

I hope that somehow Tom and Goldberry appear in the show at some point. That would instantly make the show great. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have seen it and yes, I thought it was pretty mediocre. That being said, I haven't read the books, so I have no frame of reference.

I thought The Expanse was excellent however, and it has made me consider buying the books even though there are a lot of them....

I thought you would have been all over the Wheel of Time series.

One of, if not the best fantasy series ever written.

Make Tolkien feel small in its scope.

No offense to Tolkien. 

I am slowly collecting the Expanse series. 

That's the thing with second hand book stores, I have about 10 series I am trying to complete.

21 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I thought you would have been all over the Wheel of Time series.

One of, if not the best fantasy series ever written.

Make Tolkien feel small in its scope.

No offense to Tolkien. 

I am slowly collecting the Expanse series. 

That's the thing with second hand book stores, I have about 10 series I am trying to complete.

Really brother? 

That’s a hot take if I ever heard one. 

Edited by Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Really brother? 

That’s a hot take if I ever heard one. 

Have you read the series ? 

15 books including the prequel. 

The complexity of both the characters, various societies and how they all interact is brilliant. 

Tolkien's work is very simplistic at its heart, he describes his work as fundamentally religious and Catholic.

I will say Feanor is one of the best fantasy characters ever created.

Anyway that's just my opinion.