The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TV - Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power

RUPERTKBD

The Hobbit was okay and the movies were terrible.

The Lord of the Rings books are great and the movies were fantastic.

I thought the source material for the rings of power was almost unreadable and so far the show is almost unwatchable 3 episodes in. 
Some things look good but over-saturated and the characters often just look goofy. 
The story is a mess so far. 
Not sure which is the more disappointing new show so far ROP or HOD. 

31 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The Hobbit was okay and the movies were terrible.

The Lord of the Rings books are great and the movies were fantastic.

I thought the source material for the rings of power was almost unreadable and so far the show is almost unwatchable 3 episodes in. 
Some things look good but over-saturated and the characters often just look goofy. 
The story is a mess so far. 
Not sure which is the more disappointing new show so far ROP or HOD. 

Second time you've said this. What do you mean by over-saturated? :unsure:

I'm withholding judgment on ROP but initial reaction is that the experience has been quite underwhelming.  The most negative reviews are far too harsh, in my opinion, but neither is the show anywhere near to being a glowing success (so far).  As another poster pointed out above, Amazon was limited with the material they could draw from for this story, so I think that's a major asterisk in judging how well the story reflets the world of the Lord of the Rings.  Frankly, I think it's more fair to judge this against the LOTR world created by Peter Jackson rather than the Tolkien source materials.

So far I have found the scenes betwen Elrond and the Dwarves to be the most engaging.  The Harfoots and the Meteor Man are also one of the more interesting story points.  I feel like they haven't done enough to make viewers care about who Sauron is or why they should hate/fear him (or at least care about why certain characters would feel that way).

They have tried to give Galadriel more back story with her mission to basically avenge her brother, but it just didn't feel like it had the kind of narrative impact that really helps give the story momentum.  The initial montage introducing Galadriel's brother, the destruction of the trees, and the war against Morgoth was helpful but I guess it just didn't have the same kind of impact that the opening montage in Fellowship of the Ring did when it introduced Sauron.

We'll see what happens when they introduce the Numenoreans.

Lastly, I personally haven't found that the presence of characters played by non-caucasian characters a distraction from the story telling (as mediocre as the story telling has been so far).  Through the first two episodes, it hasn't felt heavy handed.  It just is, which is the way that kind of thing should be done.

In summary, I'm willing to give the ROP a shot and I think there's enough in its early mediocrity to still provide for a good show over the remaining episodes.  It's not bad enough to write off at this point, but it's trending toward mediocrity IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they were actual purists, they’d know that Tolkien had races of different skin colours, aside from the baddies. 

I think the movies whitewashed audiences into only accepting white people playing most of the parts.

Some people don’t like change nor accepting people who don’t look like them or what they’re used to,  I guess. 

Kinda mirrors the real world I suppose. I’m sure most will get over it and get past it. 

Borrowed this from @Playoff Beered from the meme thread. I thought it apropos.....

MGvMikG.jpeg

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think it’s a myopic take. Don’t mean that in a bad way. 

I’ve seen the show a few times over and the cinematography looks great on a 4K tv. 

If there’s an issue of picture over saturation then one can always adjust their teevee. 

If the oversaturation means characters or something else then an explanation is certainly needed. 

7 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm withholding judgment on ROP but initial reaction is that the experience has been quite underwhelming.  The most negative reviews are far too harsh, in my opinion, but neither is the show anywhere near to being a glowing success (so far).  As another poster pointed out above, Amazon was limited with the material they could draw from for this story, so I think that's a major asterisk in judging how well the story reflets the world of the Lord of the Rings.  Frankly, I think it's more fair to judge this against the LOTR world created by Peter Jackson rather than the Tolkien source materials.

So far I have found the scenes betwen Elrond and the Dwarves to be the most engaging.  The Harfoots and the Meteor Man are also one of the more interesting story points.  I feel like they haven't done enough to make viewers care about who Sauron is or why they should hate/fear him (or at least care about why certain characters would feel that way).

They have tried to give Galadriel more back story with her mission to basically avenge her brother, but it just didn't feel like it had the kind of narrative impact that really helps give the story momentum.  The initial montage introducing Galadriel's brother, the destruction of the trees, and the war against Morgoth was helpful but I guess it just didn't have the same kind of impact that the opening montage in Fellowship of the Ring did when it introduced Sauron.

We'll see what happens when they introduce the Numenoreans.

Lastly, I personally haven't found that the presence of characters played by non-caucasian characters a distraction from the story telling (as mediocre as the story telling has been so far).  Through the first two episodes, it hasn't felt heavy handed.  It just is, which is the way that kind of thing should be done.

In summary, I'm willing to give the ROP a shot and I think there's enough in its early mediocrity to still provide for a good show over the remaining episodes.  It's not bad enough to write off at this point, but it's trending toward mediocrity IMHO.

A fair opinion. 

I think a little opposite with respect to your last comment. 

I think that there’s so much untouched that allows for the show to get even better than what’s been touched upon in the first 3 episodes. 

I think many were expecting a GoT entrance and a Ned Stark beheading to make it a great show. 

I don’t believe RoP needs to emulate that kind of story telling. 

The underlying story is one of the Rings of Power, which was entirely glossed over in the movies. 

Now, I want to see how those rings were made, how it affected those that received them, and how it shapes the story up to The Hobbit and The Fellowship movies. 

There’s going to be creative licence of course and the source material is scant, but it should be a good ride once it hits its stride. 

Also I want to see the dynamics and politics between men, hobbits, and dwarves and elves, and all the variations of each group and how they became what they are in ‘modern’ iterations of the movies. 

Just my two cents. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

A fair opinion. 

I think a little opposite with respect to your last comment. 

I think that there’s so much untouched that allows for the show to get even better than what’s been touched upon in the first 3 episodes. 

I think many were expecting a GoT entrance and a Ned Stark beheading to make it a great show. 

I don’t believe RoP needs to emulate that kind of story telling. 

The underlying story is one of the Rings of Power, which was entirely glossed over in the movies. 

Now, I want to see how those rings were made, how it affected those that received them, and how it shapes the story up to The Hobbit and The Fellowship movies. 

There’s going to be create licence of course and the source material is scant, but it should be a good ride once it hits its stride. 

Also I want to see the dynamics and politics between men, hobbits, and dwarves and elves, and all the variations of each group and how they became what they are in ‘modern’ iterations of the movies. 

Just my two cents. 

Thanks for your feedback!  Fair points, and yes, there's a lot untouched that provides strong potential for the show to bring in which is where there remains a lot of promise.

Just to be clear about your point about a GoT entrance and a Ned Stark beheading, I wasn't expecting anything like that.  As far as this being a story about the Rings of Power, I guess where I'm coming at it from so far (still early days in the series!) is that I don't feel like they really set a strong foundation for the impact of Sauron.  It doesn't need to be gory, but the last shot of Finrod living is him pressed up against Orcs rather than something directly with Sauron could have had stronger resonance (again, IMHO).  I guess I'm just thinking of Sauron's entrance in the Fellowship of the Ring and the kind of impact it had in setting up the stakes.

It's fine if they go with the slow burn of setting up the stakes but the longer it goes the more difficult I think it will be to do it effectively.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe it is the new TV but over lit, too bright in areas colours all look over done. I just don’t think it has looked very good at time. The scenes in the water looked ridiculous. Could it have looked more like someone’s pool with a green screen around it. 
It also has been fairly boring IMHO and I am usually an easy mark for this sort of stuff. 
Didn’t think Wheels of Time was great either but it looked better than ROP. 
‘Gandalf presumably has shown up now so hopefully gets more interesting. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1