Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dakota Joshua | C


Recommended Posts

I was surprised not to see a thread for Joshua.  26 year old 6'3 206 lb left shot C who plays a physical game (2.57 hits per game).  Also 53.3% on the dot last season over 75 face offs taken in 30 games last season.  35 games with AHL Springfield.

 

He came out of the Blues organization and got a very strong write up by The Hockey Wroters.  https://thehockeywriters.com/blues-2021-22-report-cards-dakota-joshua/  Not sure why they let him go.

 

https://www.nhl.com/player/dakota-joshua-8478057

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I was surprised not to see a thread for Joshua.  26 year old 6'3 206 lb left shot C who plays a physical game (2.57 hits per game).  Also 53.3% on the dot last season over 75 face offs taken in 30 games last season.  35 games with AHL Springfield.

 

He came out of the Blues organization and got a very strong write up by The Hockey Wroters.  https://thehockeywriters.com/blues-2021-22-report-cards-dakota-joshua/  Not sure why they let him go.

 

https://www.nhl.com/player/dakota-joshua-8478057

 

 

 

 

 

I dunno, is he really anything more than a depth option? There's no better option on the 4th line? I just don't see it.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

No, he's a 4th line player but he brings size and grit and can win a face off

For sure, we could always use more grit and face off prowess....as long as he can put it all together over a long season, of course that'd be fantastic....but as a long suffering fan who has seen it all, I'll continue with my wait and see approach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I dunno, is he really anything more than a depth option? There's no better option on the 4th line? I just don't see it.

Do you think they just decided to randomly sign a guy they know nothing about? Do you think maybe their scouts and analytics people didn't do a deep dive into the player and his capabilities? Do you think with money so tight they would hand out a contract on somebody they didn't believe could help the team? Do you think that maybe the people who get paid to make these decision might know more than you?

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Do you think they just decided to randomly sign a guy they know nothing about? Do you think maybe their scouts and analytics people didn't do a deep dive into the player and his capabilities? Do you think with money so tight they would hand out a contract on somebody they didn't believe could help the team? Do you think that maybe the people who get paid to make these decision might know more than you?

Hey, do you think you can be any more condescending? LOL. I think you have a serious hard on for this guy! Deep dive lol.

 

I never said I didn't like him, if he works out, great! But I will always be a bit apprehensive when a 26 year old, who is passed over by 31 teams comes along, and subsequently gets over-hyped by fan boys before we've even had a look at him playing here, and contributing on a consistent basis.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I for one am really pumped for Joshua I think we should be able to ice a very strong bottom 6 so he should have a great opportunity. 

 

His line mates will be an assortment of. 

Pearson, Dickinson, Lazar, Lockwood, Karlsson, Guiseppe

 

If he performs well he may get time with 

Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Hoglander, 

 

He should fit great in that mix. 

 

 

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I for one am really pumped for Joshua I think we should be able to ice a very strong bottom 6 so he should have a great opportunity. 

 

His line mates will be an assortment of. 

Pearson, Dickinson, Lazar, Lockwood, Karlsson, Guiseppe

 

If he performs well he may get time with 

Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Hoglander, 

 

He should fit great in that mix. 

 

 

 

I have never seen this guy, so what do you see as his strengths and weakness' compared to Jason Dickinson?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I was surprised not to see a thread for Joshua.  26 year old 6'3 206 lb left shot C who plays a physical game (2.57 hits per game).  Also 53.3% on the dot last season over 75 face offs taken in 30 games last season.  35 games with AHL Springfield.

 

He came out of the Blues organization and got a very strong write up by The Hockey Wroters.  https://thehockeywriters.com/blues-2021-22-report-cards-dakota-joshua/  Not sure why they let him go.

 

https://www.nhl.com/player/dakota-joshua-8478057

 

 

 

 

 

To answer your unspoken question, I suspect the reason there was no thread for him set up yet is that the powers that be were waiting to see if he made the cut before placing him in the main roster "current players" sub-forum or under this "prospects" sub-forum.

 

Given PA's comments, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the modern day Tommi Santala.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Hey, do you think you can be any more condescending? LOL. I think you have a serious hard on for this guy! Deep dive lol.

 

I never said I didn't like him, if he works out, great! But I will always be a bit apprehensive when a 26 year old, who is passed over by 31 teams comes along, and subsequently gets over-hyped by fan boys before we've even had a look at him playing here, and contributing on a consistent basis.

Do you think that Ryan Johnson was our Utica GM two years ago?  Do you think that we shared Utica with St Louis that year?  Do you think that Dakota Joshua played in Utica that year?  Do you think that Ryan Johnson and others in our organization didn't see Dakota every day?  

 

Hehe sorry, couldn't resist...  

 

Yeah he was watched very closely by Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull I wanna say, during the weird year where we shared our AHL team with St Louis.  That's why we jumped at the opportunity to sign him.  

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Do you think that Ryan Johnson was our Utica GM two years ago?  Do you think that we shared Utica with St Louis that year?  Do you think that Dakota Joshua played in Utica that year?  Do you think that Ryan Johnson and others in our organization didn't see Dakota every day?  

 

Hehe sorry, couldn't resist...  

 

Yeah he was watched very closely by Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull I wanna say, during the weird year where we shared our AHL team with St Louis.  That's why we jumped at the opportunity to sign him.  

Haha, I get it, and I'm aware of the back history. Despite being a contrarian, especially when it comes to all the unearned pompom shaking and rah-rahs that float around these parts, I'm actually rooting for the guy.

 

I am a looong suffering fan, been through all the heartaches, almost weres, and crappy management foibles, and I would eat my young to have a championship team here, and if Joshua is going to be a cog in the wheel that gets us there, I'll take a couple more of him!

 

But alas, I'm STILL going to take a wait and see approach, because all of the past "Hockey Gaud", "Zack Attack", "Shinkaruk is the messiah" et al have all but ruined my hockey amygdala.

 

Being *cautiously optimistic* ain't the worst thing :)

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Do you think that Ryan Johnson was our Utica GM two years ago?  Do you think that we shared Utica with St Louis that year?  Do you think that Dakota Joshua played in Utica that year?  Do you think that Ryan Johnson and others in our organization didn't see Dakota every day?  

 

Hehe sorry, couldn't resist...  

 

Yeah he was watched very closely by Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull I wanna say, during the weird year where we shared our AHL team with St Louis.  That's why we jumped at the opportunity to sign him.  

Great post I heard several talk show say good things about the big Joshua 26, 6'3, 208 lbs --He also had a very good AHL playoffs in 2022 - Canucks hockey guys did get to watch Joshua lots and I go on Ryan Johnson and Cull's opinion more then these negative posters on hockey sites.. 

Big body decent speed, great on forecheck adds so much grit that we lack..

Excited to see big Joshua use his size and grit..

Miss this type of player.. Lost Gadjovich 6'2 and MacEwen 6'3-- Joshua 6'3 is a better skater and faster..

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

                                                                                        smile-emoji.gif

                                                                                                                           

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Muttley said:

 

                                                                                        smile-emoji.gif

                                                                                                                           

 

Ok, after seeing that, I'm warming up to this guy. Hope he can bring that tenacity to our lineup on a consistent basis.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...