The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Ethan Bear

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

The only reason I would want Bear at this point is if we're sending back a cap dump and clearing some cap space. A defenseman who hasn't been dressed for a game yet this year shouldn't have any real value. Highly doubt Carolina wants a cap dump though.

Exactly. Bear is a circus show in his own end. He is exactly what we DONT need right now. Unless Bedard is the goal. 

• Cheers 4

34 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Why the hell would we want Bear? He hasn't played at all for Carolina this season, let's not paint him out as some sort of great D or he'd be in their lineup. He'll be 26 next June, he's more than likely what he is at this point in his career. A bottom pairing guy at best or a depth D. He's not anything special, he's probably not even worth his cap hit. 

Only way I take Bear is as a cap dump with a good pick or prospect coming back. 

^this

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Why the hell would we want Bear? He hasn't played at all for Carolina this season, let's not paint him out as some sort of great D or he'd be in their lineup. He'll be 26 next June, he's more than likely what he is at this point in his career. A bottom pairing guy at best or a depth D. He's not anything special, he's probably not even worth his cap hit. 

Only way I take Bear is as a cap dump with a good pick or prospect coming back. 

That’s not due to Bear’s play/ability specifically, it’s due to Carolina being absolutely loaded on defense and having 6-8 guys better than him. Not his fault. 

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

I just see no need on this team for Bears loosy, goosy play in the dzone. 

if we get a benefit in cap space or picks coming back, why not? what do we have to lose?

he had a decent season in EDM.

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

So Chatfield is better than Bear. Yikes. 

I don't think he's better, per se. I think he fits Carolinas team identity better then Bear does. Carolinas system just wants there D to be able defend well and then dump the puck. They don't need anything fancy from their D, because that's just not their jam. They play hard north/south and grind opponents down with strong 2way hockey. Bear doesn't fit their system, so he's not playing. 

Quite frankly, I don't know how good Bear is. But I feel pretty confident saying he's better then Chatfield in a vacuum. But on that Carolina team, Chatfield is the better player.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I don't think he's better, per se. I think he fits Carolinas team identity better then Bear does. Carolinas system just wants there D to be able defend well and then dump the puck. They don't need anything fancy from their D, because that's just not their jam. They play hard north/south and grind opponents down with strong 2way hockey. Bear doesn't fit their system, so he's not playing. 

Quite frankly, I don't know how good Bear is. But I feel pretty confident saying he's better then Chatfield in a vacuum. But on that Carolina team, Chatfield is the better player.

we also don't know what our pro scouts are seeing. I trust the new group over the last one, even with the current record. 

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if we get a benefit in cap space or picks coming back, why not? what do we have to lose?

he had a decent season in EDM.

If they add a pick sure. Dickinson for Bear may have made sense rather than give up a second. But I just don't see the fit here for Bear. Unless we are going into rebuild mode and acquiring underperforming players for picks. Just not a fan of his game. Gives up too much defence for not enough return on offence. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we also don't know what our pro scouts are seeing. I trust the new group over the last one, even with the current record. 

Seems this team is having as much difficulty acquiring a defensive D man as they have had acquiring anyone tough and can play forward. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

That’s not due to Bear’s play/ability specifically, it’s due to Carolina being absolutely loaded on defense and having 6-8 guys better than him. Not his fault. 

Even if this is true, he's just another 6-8 guy and that doesn't move the needle for me. Another 6-8D at 2.2M, people fuss about Poolman at 2.5, why would we bring in another bottom pairing guy making 2.2? 

We just paid a 2nd to get out of Dickinson's 2.65, if we're looking to acquire Bear to somehow stabilize our defense we're in bigger trouble than we realize. I'd sooner just play Keeper, Woo, Wolinen, or Juulsen. They're already in the system. 

We're going to crash or bounce back largely on the backs of players we already have, I don't see Bear changing that much. 

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Biggest mistake was not hiring a GM or assistant GM that has a successful track record of identifying NHL talent.

Stillman and Bear are the type of players you target when that’s the case… 

They may as well just keep on, keeping on the tradition. Seriously, if this group thinks a hockey trade involving Bear will help? They've lost me. Like JM said, if there's a sweetner, or some different pieces involved ok. But if we are giving up assets for a dman that resembles Stevie Wonder in the dzone, on an overpaid contract, we got issues. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

100%. The last groups pro scouting was pretty terrible. I'm not sold on the new group yet, but I'll still give them a chance. You can't possibly judge a group in half a year.

• Vintage 1