The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 64 players - Oct. 09, 2022

Some interesting names there as discussed. Seems like management has been eyeing this final waiver wire drop since the start of preseason so be interesting to see if they make any pickups. 

Personally i would pass and save the money to see if we can make a meaningful trade for a 2nd pairing D.  As Button says were cornering the market on bottom pair D and no one on this list really move the needle for me beyond that.

So if I stack up the Canucks and Lightning RD together is it safe to say we have the following combined depth chart?:

Foote

Cernak

T Myers

P Myers

Schenn

Poolman

T Myers is the only offensive D man of the bunch and arguably the best RD we have.  That said, he is not the right fit and for our LD guys in the top 4.  A claim seems like too good of a fit for us.

1 hour ago, Spoosh said:

You do know the need to be claimed to save us some cap, right? B)

That isn’t what he is talking about… he is talking about a papering exercise to bury the $1.25 million for each of them temporarily to maximize LTIR.

I don’t think losing Pearson would be worth the extra couple hundred thousand in LTIR space.  Other other two being claimed would be a bonus.  If you can have Philippe Myers for $1.4 million next year vs. Tyler Myers at $6 million… that is a big cap savings.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

If we are going to operate in LTIR then we should have the room to fit P Myers.  Also, I would argue that I would rather have P Myers than Dermott, especially if Rathbone sticks.

Hughes        Schenn

OEL             P Myers

Stillman       T Myers

Rathbone    Burroughs

If Dermott isn't able to start the season, then we can put him on LTIR until he recovers and then try and trade him.  If we can't trade him then we can send Rathbone down to Abby.

Schenn, P Myers, Stillman, Burroughs.  All of a sudden, we have some major truculence on the back end...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

That isn’t what he is talking about… he is talking about a papering exercise to bury the $1.25 million for each of them temporarily to maximize LTIR.

I don’t think losing Pearson would be worth the extra couple hundred thousand in LTIR space.  Other other two being claimed would be a bonus.  If you can have Philippe Myers for $1.4 million next year vs. Tyler Myers at $6 million… that is a big cap savings.

We could trade Myers in the summer and sign Severson as a UFA...

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are going to operate in LTIR then we should have the room to fit P Myers.  Also, I would argue that I would rather have P Myers than Dermott, especially if Rathbone sticks.

Hughes        Schenn

OEL             P Myers

Stillman       T Myers

Rathbone    Burroughs

If Dermott isn't able to start the season, then we can put him on LTIR until he recovers and then try and trade him.  If we can't trade him then we can send Rathbone down to Abby.

Schenn, P Myers, Stillman, Burroughs.  All of a sudden, we have some major truculence on the back end...

P Myers would be great. One of the few I'd bet on actually playing in the top-4 again.  

Plus hes big and mean and can play a shutdown role. 

Agree with you he would be a better fit with OEL than T Myers

I just find it hard to believe that Tampa wouldnt have called around the league first to see if anyone was willing to pay something for him. He's got some value. 

Edited by eeeeergh
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t agree about the Dickinson trade being redundant.

We would have swapped him for Stillman and Myers. I’d do that deal all day long even with the 2nd.

Those two would help us get closer to being a big tough team to play against.

Dickinson + 2nd for Stillman + Myers would go down as one of the best trades in recent history imo. 

Would be absolutely stoked if thats all it took to acquire a truculent young LD with upside, and a massive shutdown defensive RD who has had success in a top-4 role. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Valimaki claimed by the Coyotes

Canucks being half way down the list means they'll have a heck of a time getting anyone good off waivers (Montreal/Chicago and Arizona will pick them off every time)

Losing someone like Valimaki, who still has some upside, for nothing wouldn’t be ideal for Calgary, but for Valimaki, Salvian points out, it could be a fresh start, perhaps with an opportunity to once again establish himself as an everyday NHLer.

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Losing someone like Valimaki, who still has some upside, for nothing wouldn’t be ideal for Calgary, but for Valimaki, Salvian points out, it could be a fresh start, perhaps with an opportunity to once again establish himself as an everyday NHLer.

Valamaki will play with Coyotes, very skill big Fin never fit Sutter style..Could be #4 D man and build his stock to move in the future..

If Chychrun is traded Valamaki will really move up the roster..