The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Sign] Mattias Samuelsson 7 years 30 mil

On 10/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, DrJockitch said:

What’s with these teams drafting and developing defenceman. That’s not how it is done. 
What’s next drafting and developing bottom six players. 

If only

Instead we quibble about who to trade for a guy someone else drafted and developed because we're garbage at doing so

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If only

Instead we quibble about who to trade for a guy someone else drafted and developed because we're garbage at doing so

Instead of making our team crappier by trying to plug another hole. I hope this guy helps us here next year. I’m cautiously optimistic.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/316794/filip-johansson

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Instead of making our team crappier by trying to plug another hole. I hope this guy helps us here next year. I’m cautiously optimistic.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/316794/filip-johansson

Not gonna lie, I'd totally forgotten about him for some reason. But yeah, it'd be nice if he could turn into an NHL player. More than a bottom pairing guy even. 

He'll be 23 by the time next camp comes around, maybe we'll have something. 

• Cheers 1

I know people want to put meme-like spins on this, but for the most part, I get it. He's a terrific defensive defender who can skate like the wind. He's just about capable of being able to play nearly half a game, much like Chabot when he was around the same age. It's a massive contract, but it will be terrific value-wise within these next couple of years.

I was always a fan of the prospect, but seeing how he has evolved as a player (and at such a high trajectory) is incredible to see. 

Edit: I also love his intangibles as a leader. It won't be long before he's wearing a letter for that young core. Book it.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I know people want to put meme-like spins on this, but for the most part, I get it. He's a terrific defensive defender who can skate like the wind. He's just about capable of being able to play nearly half a game, much like Chabot when he was around the same age. It's a massive contract, but it will be terrific value-wise within these next couple of years.

I was always a fan of the prospect, but seeing how he has evolved as a player (and at such a high trajectory) is incredible to see. 

Edit: I also love his intangibles as a leader. It won't be long before he's wearing a letter for that young core. Book it.

Finally, someone with some sense. Samuelsson is legit. Sub 40% ozone starts. At 22 years old is being put in a lot of defensive situations for a poor team. This guy is a top 4 player now. I think he's worth his contract now. Couple years from now they'll be ecstatic to only have him only making 4mil per. This is an extension as well. So it doesn't kick in til next season. I really wanted us to try snag a late 1st rounder that year to grab him. I knew he was for sure an early 2nd rounder.

On a side note, funny how they drafted both their top 2 d-men in that draft. Our team is allergic to using any 1st rounders on D-men. Let alone a 1st and 2nd rounder.

• Thanks 1

The ever rebuilding Sabres - will eventually, hit on some of their pick but they also miss on a lot, outside of their top 3 picks - but they still don't have a goalie.  But that D core, of Dahlin & Powers (two 1st OA picks) should help them be competitive.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 10/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, DrJockitch said:

What’s with these teams drafting and developing defenceman. That’s not how it is done. 
What’s next drafting and developing bottom six players. 

What's with JB signing Myers to a 5 year  30 million dollar contract ?   And some guy who's played 54 NHL games getting the same!   I'm NOT Jealous. 

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Finally, someone with some sense. Samuelsson is legit. Sub 40% ozone starts. At 22 years old is being put in a lot of defensive situations for a poor team. This guy is a top 4 player now. I think he's worth his contract now. Couple years from now they'll be ecstatic to only have him only making 4mil per. This is an extension as well. So it doesn't kick in til next season. I really wanted us to try snag a late 1st rounder that year to grab him. I knew he was for sure an early 2nd rounder.

On a side note, funny how they drafted both their top 2 d-men in that draft. Our team is allergic to using any 1st rounders on D-men. Let alone a 1st and 2nd rounder.

7 years.   Wow.  Didn't anyone actually learn any lessons with how motivation works in this league yet?   Bleeding Blue dude at least earned his deal.   As did so make others before they sh!t the bed.   This is a very odd deal.   Like giving Bear a 20 million dollar deal after 54 games really.    Buffalo better pray they did their homework.   At least those guys up North in OTT kind of earned their deals first. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

7 years.   Wow.  Didn't anyone actually learn any lessons with how motivation works in this league yet?   Bleeding Blue dude at least earned his deal.   As did so make others before they sh!t the bed.   This is a very odd deal.   Like giving Bear a 20 million dollar deal after 54 games really.    Buffalo better pray they did their homework.   At least those guys up North in OTT kind of earned their deals first. 

Do you know literally anything about him and his work ethic? Or what he can do? Samuelsson's leadership has been applauded before he was even drafted. He's got character, and he is already playing at a top 4 level. Why bridge a guy you already like and who already plays a meaningful role for you and has strong leadership tendencies? Lol.

If Calgary termed Tkachuk instead of the bridge he'd still be there. Lessons are to be learned. If you like what you got and they're legit there's nothing wrong with paying em. 4mil isn't insane for a top 4 d-man either. It's quite cheap actually. This old school "well you gotta take a 2 year deal then you get a long term deal" mindset is pretty dated.

If you like what you got, just sign a deal and be done with it. He's a top 2 d-man with great chemistry with their top d-man for them making 4mil. Seems pretty good to me. At worst he's overpaid by about 1mil. But that's very much doubtful.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Do you know literally anything about him and his work ethic? Or what he can do? Samuelsson's leadership has been applauded before he was even drafted. He's got character, and he is already playing at a top 4 level. Why bridge a guy you already like and who already plays a meaningful role for you and has strong leadership tendencies? Lol.

If Calgary termed Tkachuk instead of the bridge he'd still be there. Lessons are to be learned. If you like what you got and they're legit there's nothing wrong with paying em. 4mil isn't insane for a top 4 d-man either. It's quite cheap actually. This old school "well you gotta take a 2 year deal then you get a long term deal" mindset is pretty dated.

If you like what you got, just sign a deal and be done with it. He's a top 2 d-man with great chemistry with their top d-man for them making 4mil. Seems pretty good to me. At worst he's overpaid by about 1mil. But that's very much doubtful.

Relax.   And no i literally don't know anything about Buffalo's mediocre young players, just some stuff about their bigger names coming up.  There are many examples of why you don't bridge guys after 54 games, let alone dish out a 7 year deal, like i said, I hope Buffalo did their homework.   Sure Brian Burke is rolling his eyes, like he said in the mid 2000's, you shouldn't be giving people 3rd contract money/term, before they've earned it.   This is like giving a plumber a truck, his own crew, and a lot of clients because he shows promise after six months  of apprenticeship, but your married to him for 30 years regardless if he produces or not (average NHL career approx). And sure it could work out really well for them.   But sorry i just don't get it.   Penner lol.  EDM/Lowe ate that one.   There are a lot of young hockey players that show promise and then fizzle out.   Buffalo took a risk for sure.   

Edited by IBatch

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

What's with JB signing Myers to a 5 year  30 million dollar contract ?   And some guy who's played 54 NHL games getting the same!   I'm NOT Jealous. 

Big difference being they are signing the guy they know works with their premier D (or at least one of them).  Myers is someone we have trouble finding partners that can handle his gaffes. 
If we could get a young stable partner for Hughes it would be worth Tyler’s money.