The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It happened in preseason too. Oilers relaxed and let the Canucks try and get a bit of a lead early. Then, McDavid decided to take over late in the game and EDM won easily. This is why good D matters.

Was hearing as well just before the season started, the Canucks could have one of the best PPs in the league. :lol:  

Not a good start, like they needed

I will watch the Oiler/Flamers game on Saturday with great interest. To me the Oilers haven’t done enough on their d-side or goaltending to get past the Flames this season. The Flames look very solid thru their whole lineup. 

Canucks have to bat 50% on their road trip. Philly hammered the Devils so Saturday’s early game should be a good outing.

I’m definitely glad there’s a bit of a break before the next game. Bruce doesn’t seem like the type to let this sort of thing slide and the team needs to do some soul searching. Here’s hoping they have the same start they had last time, and keep it up for 60 minutes. 

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd rather not have two more long delays in the course of a game.  Teams have been dealing with bad/missed calls for over a hundred years, it's just part of the game.

Terrible take.

We should always look to improve the game.

I don't mind waiting a bit of time to get the call right. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Only 1 challenge not 25 challenges 

Are you good with backing up the game after the fact or does the coach need to throw it on the ice and have the refs see it?

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Have you seen how much time they waste on McDavid and Nurse's shoulder shrug challenges? Where they get a penalty and have to give them a breakdown of the infraction rather than them just skating to the box? A full consultation?

The image of hockey? Sure, ok...it's much better to leave one of the league's best young d men bleeding on the ice and ignore him. 

Bad calls (and non calls) shouldn't just be ignored or accepted. Especially when they have dramatic impacts and shifts in the game.

Again....our team has to recover from them but it's not like they're not worth addressing. They are.

Refs spend an awful lot of time "explaining" their actions to coaches and players...my God, if you want to talk about slowing the game down have you seen how perfect the face offs have to be lined up at times? Or the offside "reviews" where they measure within a cm to see a play's offside? If they're going to trim the time fat they can look there, first. I'm quite sure a few extra moments to stop play when a guy's face is bleeding is warranted (at the very least to make sure he's ok....some of us have visions of Manny down there bleeding on the ice and it was quite serious). A booboo? Stitches in the face are a little more. 

As much as some of us call out the refs for "bad calls", there are some here who defend them relentlessly and they can do no wrong. But they do get it wrong and should have to try to fix it not just show a free pass.

I, too, get sick of my talk of the refs....so hopefully one day there will be no need for it. I mean, I don't expect perfection but clownery isn't even close.

Sure, I see what you are saying Deb and Hairy. I get the sentiment ... I do but this seems very reactionary based on one incident that went against your favorite hockey team. If you want to go ahead and re-write the rule books though go for it. Be my guest but it seems trivial to me. This is the NHL. It's a tough game.

I don't know if you saw Sid.is.Sid's summary but it was very good. I think Hughes actually stopped the refs from calling it by getting himself back in the play, or do we think this was purposely done specifically to make the Canucks lose again? 

I'm just curious but do you want them to stop it every time they see blood or a player falls down ... or just 1 challenge as Hairy suggests? Is this about player safety, or us getting scored on?

It was a really bad missed call but I've been watching hockey for years and years and this happens quite often. I remember one time in the playoffs a Boston guy broke his leg and continued to play for another minute on the PK ... should they have shut that down too? Where do you draw the line because every time a guy lays on the ice he could be seriously hurt. I'll tell you a broken leg is a lot more serious then a couple stiches in the face.

6 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

I’m definitely glad there’s a bit of a break before the next game. Bruce doesn’t seem like the type to let this sort of thing slide and the team needs to do some soul searching. Here’s hoping they have the same start they had last time, and keep it up for 60 minutes. 

BB wasn't too bummed about the last game. I'm sure he's not happy but his comments seem pretty balanced...

"I thought we played outstanding in the first half of the game," Canucks coach Bruce Boudreau added. "You could see them building, but in the end, if our special teams were better, I think it would have been much different. We had some opportunities; two breakaways when we had a 3-1 lead and that would have made it difficult for them to come back. Then we had some open nets at that time...

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd rather not have two more long delays in the course of a game.  Teams have been dealing with bad/missed calls for over a hundred years, it's just part of the game.

Have you seen the video of a ref saying he's going to call the next penalty on a certain team?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Terrible take.

We should always look to improve the game.

I don't mind waiting a bit of time to get the call right. 

Terrible would be adding an extra 30 mins to games that are already too long.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Did you see that infraction?

its not about what you see, or what I see

DopES puts on the tape, goes out and makes a sandwich

comes back and says, "I didnt see anyinfraction

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Gotta feel for Philly.  They haven't been he same since Richards/Carter and wasted a lot of prime Grioux years while also missing on Nolan Patrick and Ellis with a career ending injury.  Is Hart still an up and coming goalie for them or has he since fizzled out?  Hopefully this means the boys can pull out the frist W of the season tomorrow.

• Cheers 1