The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not sure I'd go that far, there were a lot of good things last night. Its just the special teams were.... "special" again. 1/8? yikes. 

An aggressive PK is very effective against us, but Hyman is pretty darn good at it too. Still, needed to cash in and didn't. 

Oh and Nurse plays like a coward. 

There were a lot of good things last night, I agree, but either they fix the defensive lapses and game management issues or this team is going nowhere again. It's as simple as that. Petey, Bo, Miller, and whoever have to get it through their minds that the PP is not there for them to pad their stats and look like stars, there is still a hockey game going on. At that point their biggest priority/only priority is (should be) don't get scored on. If they don't give up yet another shorty at the worst of times and go into the third up 3-2 we're most likely looking at OT at the very least, possibly a win, and at the very least a point. This is what good teams do regularly and we struggle with on a shift by shift basis.

Petey is by far the worst at this, whether it's coaching or poor leadership, the next step for me is to take him off the PP until he learns. He does this once or twice a game at least. My biggest fear is no one is even approaching the topic and with Miller giving the puck away at every opportunity too he's not getting many good examples from the veterans.

I don't mean to come off overly negative but that's how I deal with a loss. Look at what you can do to best fix the issues for the next game and future. Like I said, it's only one game but if we don't learn how to be responsible with decision making nothing else will matter. Maybe they need to put OEL on the PP and scrap the 4th forward. It's a sad thought to even have to go there.

Obviously special teams was the issue again but it's a reflection of the team's mental approach to the game itself.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Boeser is well liked by the fans and has had a rough couple of years off the ice.  However, the team needs to move on.

As for Bo he definitely is not showing Captaincy grit or fire.  Did anyone, besides the coach go after the refs for the missed called on Quinn?

Bo should have been ragging on them for the rest of the game.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Bottom line is our Special Team has to be better. We can whine about the missed breakaways, or Huggies high stick, but the bottom line is we were 1 for 8 on the PP.......that is a .125 conversion rate, which is bad, league bad!

Not even sure how many PP's Edmonton had, but they did not take long, when they had them.

It is only 1 game, and it looks like Campbell is an upgrade over Smith, so Edmonton has upgraded their team. They were the 11th best team last year, and I think they are better, so it says alot about Vancouver and where we are at. Fix the special teams, and we will take that step up.

The PP will be easy to fix, this game we had zero puck luck. I mean Kuzi not able to convert on that empty net, Horvat missing a wide empty net, Hoglander missing the net completely etc. Plus we have Dermott, Myers and Mikheyev out and those are also important players for us. With so much offensive depth, I can see the Canucks being a top 5 PP team but they need to move the puck better and have better shot selection. I wont read too much into this game since its the 1st game of season and many guys seem rusty. The biggest brightspot is that Kuzmenko is a special player, almost identical to Pettersson. His passing to Miller and his goal was excellent and hope we can sign him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Boeser is well liked by the fans and has had a rough couple of years off the ice.  However, the team needs to move on.

As for Bo he definitely is not showing Captaincy grit or fire.  Did anyone, besides the coach go after the refs for the missed called on Quinn?

Bo should have been ragging on them for the rest of the game.

Boeser is a prime candidate for a trade because Kuzmenko will easily replace him and we also have Mikheyev signed too. Kuzmenko has the shot and is a much faster and smarter player imo. Also the fact that we need a top 4 D amd Boeser could fetch us that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I got annoyed at Drance a couple of days ago when he said it would be a good road trip if the Canucks went 2-3.  But the guy is right, this team isn't very good and squeaking out two wins would be something. I'm now thinking they finish the trip 1-4, if they can somehow manage to win in Philly. This is not a playoff team.

Trade Horvat and Boeser, start fresh, get some quality D ffs, before Demko gets pi**ed off and wants out. 

Wow! It was one game where they should have won. The players timing with each other were off, otherwise the canucks win by alot.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Muttley said:

This is such bullcrap! This play should have been blown dead. Why does Kane still have the capability to walk, little or skate after his garbage? 

NHL should consider adjusting Rule 8.1:

“When a player is injured so that he cannot continue play or go to his bench, the play shall not be stopped until the injured player’s team has secured control of the puck. If the player’s team is in control of the puck at the time of injury, play shall be stopped immediately unless his team is in a scoring position. 

In the case where it is obvious that a player has sustained a serious injury, the referee and/or linesman may stop the play immediately.”

Possibly the last paragraph (where I’ve added the underlines) should be changed from “may” to “must.” 

Or at least add a tweak that mandates a stoppage, whenever there’s an obvious serious injury, immediately after the conclusion of a scoring chance (regardless of whether or not the defending team has “secured control of the puck”).

Even under the current rule, with no changes or tweaks, the officials have the discretion and they could (should) have stopped the play.

From the moment Hughes went down, with what was IMO an obvious injury, they had the option to stop play. But the Oilers were in the middle of a scoring chance, so I can somewhat understand the refs not wanting to blow it dead, at first. However, once the Oilers failed to score on that initial net front scramble, and the puck was passed back, away from any high danger scoring areas, there was no good reason to allow the play to continue, with Hughes clearly injured. A stoppage at that point would have been fair to both teams. When the puck went back up to the point, there was a natural “break” in the action, and the refs could have easily blown the whistle.

If they were really looking to protect players, while not disrupting the game action, by taking away a scoring chance, they would have stopped the play at that exact moment.

In the refs’ defence (somewhat), it’s a that moment Hughes gets up and tries to return to the play. He’s still clearly shaken up, but I have to wonder if the play gets blown dead if Hughes had stayed down for a second or two longer. 

Even still, it’s clear to anyone watching that Hughes is hurt and bleeding and even when he’s back up on his feet, it’s obvious that he’s not okay, he’s clearly injured, and he’s not really able to effectively get back into the play. From the moment he went down, the refs should have been looking for a suitable moment to stop play, without impacting the game action. When the puck went back up top again, it was basically a “reset” in the offence and a natural break in the action where the whistle could be blown, without being unfair to the Oilers or disrupting an active scoring chance. Allowing the play to continue from that point was unfair to the Canucks, and a IMO compete failure by the on-ice officials to protect the players on the ice.

• Upvote 2

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

Wow! It was one game where they should have won. The players timing with each other were off, otherwise the canucks win by alot.

Gotta love this time of year when the “I told you so crowd” all come out and make bold claims after one game. :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

There were a lot of good things last night, I agree, but either they fix the defensive lapses and game management issues or this team is going nowhere again. It's as simple as that. Petey, Bo, Miller, and whoever have to get it through their minds that the PP is not there for them to pad their stats and look like stars, there is still a hockey game going on. At that point their biggest priority/only priority is (should be) don't get scored on. If they don't give up yet another shorty at the worst of times and go into the third up 3-2 we're most likely looking at OT at the very least, possibly a win, and at the very least a point. This is what good teams do regularly and we struggle with on a shift by shift basis.

Petey is by far the worst at this, whether it's coaching or poor leadership, the next step for me is to take him off the PP until he learns. He does this once or twice a game at least. My biggest fear is no one is even approaching the topic and with Miller giving the puck away at every opportunity too he's not getting many good examples from the veterans.

I don't mean to come off overly negative but that's how I deal with a loss. Look at what you can do to best fix the issues for the next game and future. Like I said, it's only one game but if we don't learn how to be responsible with decision making nothing else will matter. Maybe they need to put OEL on the PP and scrap the 4th forward. It's a sad thought to even have to go there.

Obviously special teams was the issue again but it's a reflection of the team's mental approach to the game itself.

They can change up the PP. Remove Miller or Horvat and put in Podkolzin in for net presence and add OEL for shot from the point. I think Our PP is very slow in moving the puck and they always look for Petersson for that one timer which is predictable. Having a one timer from the blueline will keep other teams guessing. We are not using OEL's biggest strength which is his shot from the blueline on the PP. 

Edited by DefCon1
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta love this time of year when the “I told you so crowd” all come out and make bold claims after one game. :lol:

Yup good times! One game in a home opener against Mcdavid who torches teams every game. Wasn’t a bad game at all. Few mistakes but I thought the effort was great 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I also would not look at this game for any predictions since it was an away game and a season opener for the Coilers. I mean Toronto lost to Montreal but that doesnt mean Montreal is better than Toronto. Early regular season games are not good indicators. We need to see how the team does at the 15 game mark

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Game one showed me that this team still has zero to no push back. We brought in these gritty forwards and defencemen yet we still let little Nurse run around and take liberties with our players. We made life easy for the Oilers, especially McNugget and Celine Leon when we don't even touch them.

How is there no one standing up for Burroughs after that dirty cheap hit? What about Pettersson getting constantly tripped and slew footed all game? You just blew a 3-0 lead, where are some checks or a fight to spark some energy? I know it's game one but these are the sort of things that occur year after year for the last decade. We have a reputation of being a soft-ass team that would rather get a PP (and do nothing with it) than send a message.

Not going to lie, Joshua was more useless than a prime Tom Sestito. Don't even get me started on him getting bodied by a 6'3 twig with pads on. Stillman and Burroughs got into McDavid's face early but then cowered away the rest of the game when he made them look like pilons. Did we even see our Canadian Captain Bo throw a hit last night? What about our new 8 million dollar "I want to be a better two way forward" Miller? 

So being "soft ass" preferring a PP is what gave us the best team in Canucks history. The canucks played it perfect; they just utterly failed on the PP. You score on a couple of those chances and its lights out. Edmonton was VERY undisciplined all night. The biggest punch to the gut is scoring a PP goal after someone take a dump penalty.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Outplayed the Oilers 5 on 5 too. Just special teams letting us down yet again.

The D was actually pretty good, Poolman had a surprisingly good game, even guys like Schenn weren't getting walked around by McDavid on rushes. (And he still had 3)

FWDs really let us down, Miller / Horvat with grade A chances, Petey on the PP. They better get things into gear quick.

Edmonton is so lucky to have McDavid & Draisaitl. They really aren't a contender aside from just having those 2. Their Dcore is overrated & they get worked anytime McD isn't on the ice.

When McD/Drai arent on the ice, Oilers are doing cardio instead of playing hockey :lol:

1 minute ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

How does Jason king have a job still ? 1/6 on pp … the sedins think he’s a nice guy ? …. Four unanswered goals …. For a team that wants to challenge for a cup ,this is so business as usual………..

Pp was ranked 11 last yr and prob top 4 after green was fired 

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

It's just insane the vision they have with eachother. They share some super brain or something. The thing that annoys me is when we just start chasing them. Or allowing mcdavid time and space to pick up speed in the NZ. Just hiiiiiitttt himmmmmmmmmm lol

It's just set plays and lots of practice. Something apparently our pp can't do for some reason. We have 2 looks.