The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

53 minutes ago, drofssalg said:

I was at the game. From a fan watching perspective (no benefit of replays). (And I told my wife at 3 nothing - worst lead in hockey...)

Pettersson looked great. Other than the bad play leading to the short handed goal. 

Podkolzin looked great. Smart player. Never takes a shift off.

Miller looked awful. Poor puck decisions. Poor positioning throughout the game. He got two points but he was hard to watch the rest of the game. I definitely noticed him for all the wrong reasons. 

Horvat looked disinterested. Not sure what else to say about him. 

Boeser - smart player, too slow.

Garland handles the puck well, skates well but just did not make a difference. 

Hughes is trying to do too much. Schenn is actually a bad partner for him - forces Quinn to do too much against a better skating team like the Oilers. 

Pearson - he is tough to watch. Just seems to be off by a stride or two - almost in the right position but never quite there. Plays die on his stick.

Hoglander - just can't finish. Made a few good defensive plays (which stood out to me). But poor passing decisions in offensive zone (especially on PP2).

Kuzmenko played well. Not sure what he is yet. But he is not a liability on the ice. 

Lazar for his role and minutes, he looked good. 

Aman looked ok.

Joshua looked overwhelmed.

Schenn is too slow. Smart player but no speed.

OEL looked ok.

Stillman looked meh.

Poolman is awful.

Curious to see what happens when Mikheyev is back. Forward group just did not seem as engaged as I was hoping for. I would have thought after the first two goals that they would be fired up for more but it just seemed to stop. Great work by Pettersson, beautiful shot by Miller and then it just died. Line combos did not seem correct to me. I don't think Boeser and Pearson are great wingers for Miller and I don't think Garland is a great winger for Horvat. Hoglander - not sure what to say - good player but just does not seem to fit with system. 4th line (small sample size but) did not seem effective.

Reffing was bad on both sides (at least consistent in the bad calls). But the missed call on Hughes was huge (should not be an excuse to lose the momentum and game). 

Power play and Penalty kill felt exactly like last year. I get it's game one but still, I expected better from both. McDavid and Draisaitl - they move the puck so well and that is tough to defend... but the first PK was just a mess when Hughes got hurt, Demko dropping the stick and getting scored on. It just seemed to not get better for any future PK. The power play was predictable. I know it will get goals through the season but the Oilers had it figured. 

Canucks cannot handle faster players. They make up for it by playing positionally sound 5v5 but it can cause breakdown issues in their own zone. Team speed is still an issue - Boeser, Schenn and Pearson really stood out as slow. 

The defense is still the Canucks weakest area. I was on board the trade Miller train because of the "give to get" perspective. Now that Miller is signed we know he is staying. But the Canucks still need to give to get. A forward needs to go to get a D. But given most teams are in tough with D that is not an easy trade to make (too many teams not enough good D available especially right side).

Fun game to be at until Hughes got hurt... I could feel the change in the building after that goal went in.

I have been to many Canucks/Oilers games - first game where other fans tried to pick a fight because I was wearing a Canucks jersey. (And yes the other guys were drunk - not sure how people can afford to get drunk at a hockey game). Just glad I drove into downtown and did not have to take the LRT home. 

Excellent analysis and my EXACT thoughts to a "T".   Thank you for being so honest as some local Canucks fans are blinded by the obvious and drunk too much Aqua-Lini "Kool-Aid" and are afraid to face the facts & reality of this team. Hearing a sober perspective from an outsider is invaluable!  

(Sorry to hear about the drunk Oilers fans harrassing you in EDM, but hey, it is Edmonton after all.  We see those same drunk oiler fans here at Rogers when they are playing in town (with their GF's who seem to always be wearing skimpy, tight torn clothes and look like slutty street walkers from Ft. Mac) and it's too bad, as it ruins the game experience for everyone.)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've decided for myself, that nothing will change with the team until they change the captain and go back to those "skate" jerseys. 

Orca captains - Naslund, Henrik, Horvat (too passive and polite)

I can’t think of two more frivolous determinants of success than the Color of the Jersey and the wearer of the C. 
If these professional athletes cannot get motivated to play hard it is not Bo’s fault. That is some specious reasoning. 
Running backwards and turning into the 70s Flyers is not going to win us games. 
Maybe the team Benning put together isn’t that good and Allvin has barely done anything to change it at this point. 
Maybe they just lost a game. 

24 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Diving is a penalty too; call that if it is discovered to be the case.

It does not take long for coaches to adapt to rule changes if they are called fairly and consistently (which of course, corrupt NHL officials have no interest in doing).

Once again you’ll be leaving that up to the reffs discretion to determine wether they believe it was a dive or not. Then you get into further trouble with conspiracy crap. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bring back our 4th line from last year.  Still can’t believe we got rid of them all. Our new 4th line belongs in the AHL. 

I thought Lazar looked pretty good, he's a good pickup. 

Aman's speed stood out, but he's a pretty low event player (fine for a 4th liner).

Joshua didn't do much, also didn't play much.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I cannot ****ing stand EDM.

A pathetic excuse of a franchise that got gifted the greatest player ever after years of embarrassing the sport with their futility. 

It feel like the same thing everytime, we outplay them, they get a lucky break or two & McDavid tears us apart.

I would honestly cheer for the Leafs or Bruins in a SCF against EDM. **** the Oilers

Anyone who is deeper and more experienced than us will easily take care of these bums. Glorified AHL team without McDavid and Draisaitl and it should be obvious to anyone who doesn’t live in Alberta. 

• Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've decided for myself, that nothing will change with the team until they change the captain and go back to those "skate" jerseys. 

Agree 100%   The Stoic-Passive Swedish leadership style - with emphasis on "Finese" play - rather than grit and fortitude will never take us to the promised land.    You can see that same stype in Petterson and I sure hope he never becomes our captain, otherwise we'll see the continuation of that ineffective leadership style that has failed us for over two decades and counting.  Too bad that the Sedins "Neutered" Horvat because he once had some feistiness and bravado in his blood but is now just another passive/polite swedish pseudo offspring.   I hope and suspect that JR, Alvin and "The Chipmunk Girls" have recognixed this and will do what we all know what needs to be done!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I thought Lazar looked pretty good, he's a good pickup. 

Aman's speed stood out, but he's a pretty low event player (fine for a 4th liner).

Joshua didn't do much, also didn't play much.

Lazar is fine. He could have rotated with the other 3. Aman and Joshua are AHL fodder. 

Our 4th line last year was literally our best line on some nights. Now it’s just a 4th line that is there to take up spots. Not impressed. 

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What about Bobby Lou?  

Also, wasn’t Messier the captain the first year we introduced the Orca? Maybe that is what has caused all the bad karma from the whale. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

Anyone who is deeper and more experienced than us will easily take care of these bums. Glorified AHL team without McDavid and Draisaitl and it should be obvious to anyone who doesn’t live in Alberta. 

Without McDavid they are a lottery team.

I miss the days when the Twins would put them in a blender regularly, and the games were over before they started.

Now it's McDavid putting us in a blender regularly. :(

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lazar is fine. He could have rotated with the other 3. Aman and Joshua are AHL fodder. 

Our 4th line last year was literally our best line on some nights. Now it’s just a 4th line that is there to take up spots. Not impressed. 

It was all Tyler Motte, when he left Lammikko & Highmore weren't effective.

Would've been nice to bring him back for what Ottawa gave him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I miss the days when the Twins would put them in a blender regularly, and the games were over before they started.

McDavid with a little help from the refs after he whines to them all game long. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It was all Tyler Motte, when he left Lammikko & Highmore weren't effective.

Would've been nice to bring him back for what Ottawa gave him.

I’d take Lammikko over Aman and Highmore over Joshua. Our 4th line was fine. It didn’t need to be scrapped completely. We could have just added Lazar and we would have been good to go. 

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

IMO they can have McDavid, without Drai they are bottom of the barrel.  (to be fair it probably works both ways, if either one of those guys is removed that is)

I think if they want to win the cup they trade McDavid in an Eric Lindros type deal for multiple impact players, draft picks, that will set them up as a legit perennial threat for a decade

When those guys are not on the ice their team resembles that AHL fodder team the Canucks sent into Edmonton for that preseason game last week.

The way their team is constructed now would make them an easy out for a legit contender that would dismantle that defence and put top tier checkers on that first line.  

1 hour ago, camaro ss said:

Somebody should’ve went after Nurse for that late hit. We’re way to soft of a team. Not tuff enough 

I actually thought we were playing with a little more toughness at the beginning of the game(hitting/finishing checks) and then Nurses hit happened and then Kane's high stick on Hughes. We went right back to where we did nothing about it and got back on our heels. This needs to be addressed once and for all. 

17 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree 100%   The Stoic-Passive Swedish leadership style - with emphasis on "Finese" play - rather than grit and fortitude will never take us to the promised land.    You can see that same stype in Petterson and I sure hope he never becomes our captain, otherwise we'll see the continuation of that ineffective leadership style that has failed us for over two decades and counting.  Too bad that the Sedins "Neutered" Horvat because he once had some feistiness and bravado in his blood but is now just another passive/polite swedish pseudo offspring.   I hope and suspect that JR, Alvin and "The Chipmunk Girls" have recognixed this and will do what we all know what needs to be done!

I will say Petey has more of a physical game,

and he is getting stronger at it.

protects himself well with it and guards the puck well too.

I think his mitts come off close to the end of the year….  He’s a beauty and may well become a better all around player than Hank or Dan.

Dont forget ,  Burke NEEDED to get both of them for them to possibly turn out to be what they were.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1