The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Don't even compare apples and oranges. We don't have a Captain like Landeskog or leadership players like MacKinnon and Johnson that actually stand up for their star or role players. Don't even get me started on Kadri.

All bark and no bite!!!! They should play dirty. Get away with a cheap shot and change momentum.  If the refs can't see they can't call it.. 

25 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Getting the 3-0 lead was actually a curse. They literally didn't play with the same energy or urgency the rest of the game. They didn't bear down on the PP and create more opportunities. Generally, I abhor fans that scream shoot on the PP as they wouldn't know a shooting lane from the crack of their a$$. However, there was definite overpassing and the hope for a pretty one with the early lead. I may have yelled "Shoot the (Expletive) puck" at my TV screen on several occasions. 

The quantity of power plays also destroyed the flow of the game and left many of our skaters disconnected from the game. It was a sloppy mess for much of the 5 on 5 as we got later in the game.

On to Philly. Still hoping to go 3-2 to start the year on the road.

Team chatter on the bench, after our third goal .....action league now nicksplat GIF

Edited by RU SERIOUS

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Thanks for posting the link. This is a great breakdown and I'm looking forward to using it to organize my own thoughts and responses for future games! sometimes the eye test doesn't line up with on-ice play

analytics are only mildly useful in relaying the course of the game.  Stats aren't very applicable when your individual stats are so tied up in how the other players on the ice are interacting.  I'll take the eye test every single time.

• Cheers 1

Hoping they manage to win a game on this road trip. Knowing they need a hot start and every game matters, you'd think they would've played with more urgency last night. Demko needs to be better too, especially with the sub-par D in front of him.

One positive from last night is that despite a few frantic moments/lack of execution on the PP/PK, the team looked fairly organized.  Breakouts looked good and when options wernt available a quick high flippy to get the puck out. I dont think I noticed any egregious turnovers trying to transition the puck.  That’s a good sign if they can keep it up. 

When Mikheyev returns Ill be really interested in how his skating changes the dynamic.  Especially in later stages of the game where the team needs someone with the jets to push teams back defensively.

Also, although chaos giraffe is fun times, I thought overall the D was steady.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

they even said that the oilers were taking away their bumper play option on the power play (which is like their only special setup they have on the power play.) also i really don't like how the canucks spend SO much time making moves right on the blue line, on the power play. the team needs an entirely new look on the power play. they need to start moving around better.

Edited by Roberts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Roberts said:

they even said that the oilers were taking away their bumper play option on the power play (which is like their only special setup they have on the power play.) also i really don't like how the canucks spend SO much time making moves right on the blue line, on the power play. the team needs an entirely new look on the power play. they need to start moving around better.

I don't know who they think they are fooling with the slow passing around the perimeter the way they do.. trying to open up EP or horvats bumper play 10 times each man advantage

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Roberts said:

Honestly their powerplay is perfectly fine for the set up and tactics.

What sucks for their powerplay is when they kill it because they don't move their skates or the puck faster than a beer league team would. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Absolutely NO Finish.  Wasted at least 2-4 easy goals last night.

Probably wouldn't have been the only net positive line if they took away the forechecking from Hoglander on that line though. The only replacement would be Podz. Nobody else could fill the role of the speedy forechecker there.

Easy to ignore how good he was from a defensive standpoint on that line because he missed a couple shots. 

Edit: it's stupid to break up a line that held the Oilers to 2 shots all game despite the team being outplayed for 40 minutes. 

Edited by MikeyD
  • There it is 1

39 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Honestly their powerplay is perfectly fine for the set up and tactics.

What sucks for their powerplay is when they kill it because they don't move their skates or the puck faster than a beer league team would. 

Exactly.  Fortunately this situation can be worked on (or worked out of them).  Better do it quickly before it starts

getting into their heads (again).

40 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Probably wouldn't have been the only net positive line if they took away the forechecking from Hoglander on that line though. The only replacement would be Podz. Nobody else could fill the role of the speedy forechecker there.

Easy to ignore how good he was from a defensive standpoint on that line because he missed a couple shots. 

Edit: it's stupid to break up a line that held the Oilers to 2 shots all game despite the team being outplayed for 40 minutes. 

Really good point, Mikey.  It's easy to get frustrated with Hogs and miss the important stuff.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

analytics are only mildly useful in relaying the course of the game.  Stats aren't very applicable when your individual stats are so tied up in how the other players on the ice are interacting.  I'll take the eye test every single time.

I agree for the most part. What I find most useful is that while I watch the game I am able to pick out players playing poorly, but I'll admit my knowledge of hockey fundamentals isn't at a high level. Sometimes it's good to look over the advanced stats in conjunction with the eye test to really narrow down specific errors.

Example, I thought Kuz had an excellent first NHL game. However advanced stats showed he didn't do well on controlled zone entry. (Still had a great game though) Next game I'll be watching his zone entries more closely. Advanced stats help me as a fan dissect the game a little further, which I enjoy. But I will never rely on them to tell the whole story.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I love watching him too, don't get me wrong but at this point our defence is so atrocious that we need every line scoring just to give us a chance to win and not just killing time off the clock and Hogz has been snake bitten for over 2 years now and it seems that after missing those four glorious chances last night against EDM shows that things haven't changed.   Sorry, but until the back end is fixed we can't afford "nice to have" guys on the front end.

5 hours ago, Rackdawg said:

Thats all this game doesnt need is flags flying on the ice...leave that to football ffs...games got enough f@#$ing stopages as it is.

That was an atrocious missed call. What if that happened during the playoffs. It could swing the series. Season is 82 games. Waiting 2 minutes for an obvious call like that should be easy. Toronto would have called the refs if that was us

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That was an atrocious missed call. What if that happened during the playoffs. It could swing the series. Season is 82 games. Waiting 2 minutes for an obvious call like that should be easy. Toronto would have called the refs if that was us

It was a missed call, no doubt, but if a missed call shakes your team that much then you're not going far anyway 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It was a missed call, no doubt, but if a missed call shakes your team that much then you're not going far anyway 

Well that call plus the video's of their game management doesn't look good for the league. How much can they let go. They all saw it. Toronto saw it.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Well that call plus the video's of their game management doesn't look good for the league. How much can they let go. They all saw it. Toronto saw it.

So you're saying you think they saw it and intentionally didn't call it?

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Atrocious calls have bin happining for decades ..too many stopages ruin a game for me..blown calls not so much ..I'm used of it .lol

• Vintage 1