The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

just can't get over that missed high sticking call ....  if that had happened to the best player on their team , I wonder what everyone would be talking about this morning ...

i know this game was in Edmonton, but I am surprised that Canuck fans let Kelly Sutherland in the building

• Cheers 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:02 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL REPLAY | Elias Pettersson's 1-0 Goal

FULL REPLAY | J.T. Miller's 2-0 Goal

FULL REPLAY | Andrei Kuzmenko's 3-0 Goal

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You guys are down in Aman eh? Highmore & Lammikko were very ineffective after Motte was traded.

It's early but I kinda like Aman more than Highmore, both are fast (and don't do much else) but Aman has size whereas Highmore was small, and Aman can play C.

He's also alot faster than Lammikko who wasn't anything special either. Keep in mind Aman is only 22, he's still young & adjusting.

I'm optimistic about Joshua too but he has shown the least so far. 

Man, why are people talking about Aman and the defense

look at the box score 

there were 10 Canucks on the ice for all 5 goals, and Lazar was the only player not on last years team

No Poolman, No Burroughs, No Stillman, No Hoglander, No Joshua, and No Aman

#9 -5

43-4

40 -3

2 -3

53 -2

6 -2

8, 20, 23, 70 -1

to be fair

8, 9, 40, 43, 53 got scored on on the old PK /EN

that kind of lets Garland off the hook

but the reality is Aman and Poolman did not cost us that game

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well that call plus the video's of their game management doesn't look good for the league. How much can they let go. They all saw it. Toronto saw it.

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

It was a horrendous missed call period. Regardless of whether or not it affected the outcome of the game. Inexcusable missed call, full stop. 

Reffing, judgement, and bad calls are part of the game like missed passes and wide open nets. Unless they want to slow every game down to 4 hours and double check every time someone falls down, or gets a boo boo. Which they could do but it sure would tarnish the image of hockey being a tough game. Poor calls and how you adapt is crucial to hockey. It's woven into the fabric of the sport.

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I love watching him too, don't get me wrong but at this point our defence is so atrocious that we need every line scoring just to give us a chance to win and not just killing time off the clock and Hogz has been snake bitten for over 2 years now and it seems that after missing those four glorious chances last night against EDM shows that things haven't changed.   Sorry, but until the back end is fixed we can't afford "nice to have" guys on the front end.

I see your point. I feel like the team needs to outscore as well which is why I propose Boeser and Horvat play together so they don't drag down another scoring line lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

Doing some quick math, based on a $9,250,000 salary, it looks like Nurse gets about $112,804  PER GAME.  I can't even get my head around that TBH. 

So 5k takes his pay for the day down from that amount to only $107,804.  Poor guy.

In fact Nurse could get fined 5000 every game of the season and still pull in $8,840,000 that year.   That fine amount is ridiculous.  It wouldn't even be much trouble for a league minimum paid player.  But fines should be based on percentage of annual contract salary at least.  For a dirty hit, if a player would lose half of his days pay, they might think twice.

Yeah I honestly don't understand why the NHL allowed that amount to even be considered for negotiation. They get crapped on by the players for not looking out for their alumni and then they allow the smallest of fines which I believe accumulates this money for these types of purposes. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Blowing a 3-0 goal lead and losing the game in the final 5 minutes, going 1/8 on the PP, going 25% on the PK and letting in a SHG is arguably the worst game you can have, I'd rather a 6-0 drubbing. 

Going forwards though, we have to fix this special teams. Some teams only give up a couple of SHGs all year, they are the absolute killer and cannot happen, and often happen when the PP gets a bit risky and cheats too much. 

At the end of the day for me, the PK will decide this season. You could argue that if our PK was in the top-15 last year, we make the playoffs. Instead we were worst in the league by far for a long time. We have to sort this out or we'll lose so many games this way - outplay the opponents 5-on-5, work hard and then blow it when the refs want to manage games.

Problem is we don't have great personnel for the PK, especially without Myers. We lack true shutdown defencemen and combine that with pretty bad special teams coaching and you've got yourself a hot-mess. 

I know it's still very early days but this is how our PK started last year...started at the bottom, ended near the bottom...funnily enough when Bruce came over and the PK started to improve we edged closer to a playoff spot. I bet it's a linear correlation between our PK success and playoff hopes this year.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Reffing, judgement, and bad calls are part of the game like missed passes and wide open nets. Unless they want to slow every game down to 4 hours and double check every time someone falls down, or gets a boo boo. Which they could do but it sure would tarnish the image of hockey being a tough game. Poor calls and how you adapt is crucial to hockey. It's woven into the fabric of the sport.

Only 1 challenge not 25 challenges 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Toronto can't call penalties

But the refs can....what was their excuse (this time)?

Still shaking my head that they blew such a blatant call....and didn't whistle down a play where a guy was on the ice bleeding. It had a direct impact on the game and, yes, the team needs to be better and recover/move on. But momentum swings can be huge and when one team is gifted one when they need it most, it matters. They should earn it, not have it handed to them.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Have you seen how much time they waste on McDavid and Nurse's shoulder shrug challenges? Where they get a penalty and have to give them a breakdown of the infraction rather than them just skating to the box? A full consultation?

The image of hockey? Sure, ok...it's much better to leave one of the league's best young d men bleeding on the ice and ignore him. 

Bad calls (and non calls) shouldn't just be ignored or accepted. Especially when they have dramatic impacts and shifts in the game.

Again....our team has to recover from them but it's not like they're not worth addressing. They are.

Refs spend an awful lot of time "explaining" their actions to coaches and players...my God, if you want to talk about slowing the game down have you seen how perfect the face offs have to be lined up at times? Or the offside "reviews" where they measure within a cm to see a play's offside? If they're going to trim the time fat they can look there, first. I'm quite sure a few extra moments to stop play when a guy's face is bleeding is warranted (at the very least to make sure he's ok....some of us have visions of Manny down there bleeding on the ice and it was quite serious). A booboo? Stitches in the face are a little more. 

As much as some of us call out the refs for "bad calls", there are some here who defend them relentlessly and they can do no wrong. But they do get it wrong and should have to try to fix it not just show a free pass.

I, too, get sick of my talk of the refs....so hopefully one day there will be no need for it. I mean, I don't expect perfection but clownery isn't even close.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

It happened in preseason too. Oilers relaxed and let the Canucks try and get a bit of a lead early. Then, McDavid decided to take over late in the game and EDM won easily. This is why good D matters.

Was hearing as well just before the season started, the Canucks could have one of the best PPs in the league. :lol:  

Not a good start, like they needed

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well with all the video about refs and game management.  Ruining the integrity and intentions of bona fide refereeing. It's time the pendulum swung in the favor of the coaches. One challenge for obvious mistakes. That penalty was obvious.

I'd rather not have two more long delays in the course of a game.  Teams have been dealing with bad/missed calls for over a hundred years, it's just part of the game.

• Cheers 1