The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We could have moved Miller, and likely still could now.  He’s on a very good contract this year (no trade protection until July 2023) and that new contract is excellent too.  Any team acquiring JTM would have him locked up for the next eight years (including this one) for an average cap cost just over 7.5 per.  

Boeser I don’t think we could have traded for much last summer and same now.  So if we are going to get a much needed partner for Hughes, then it’s either Miller (we just extended him, so don’t think that will happen) or Bo.  

Bo is a respected player around the league.  He’d be perfect in Buffalo.  Don’t know what they have to get back though?

Miller ain't going anywhere. That ship has sailed and he is the type of competitor who won't be satisfied with what is happening. I'm looking to him to be one of the first guys who'll get this ship righted. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The ones who are claiming that Miller is the problem

iirc he has been on the ice for 7 of the 8 goals against.

He has gone back to trying those extremely risky cross ice passes, and been getting burned-again.

Leader?  leading poorly.

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Miller ain't going anywhere. That ship has sailed and he is the type of competitor who won't be satisfied with what is happening. I'm looking to him to be one of the first guys who'll get this ship righted. 

I agree.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or trying too hard? 

Maybe.

Or trying too stupid?

Seems like he is a slow learner, keeps trying the same risky plays, gets repeatedly burned; then gets on the ice and tries the same risky play again.

If he doesn't get it figured out, it will be a long, long 7 years for this team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

13 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The best games in the last half of last season were when Miller and Petey were split up. 

Those two centres need to stay split up in order give the team the best two scoring lines possible. 

Who would the 2nd Center be if Petey and Miller were put together?

Horvat? 

C’mon man. Horvat is playing so disinterested. That’s the second line Center? 

Doesn’t work for me. But maybe I’m wrong and you’re right. Let’s see. 

Horvat is better than you're claiming.

They need to put Horvat on PP2, they need a natural centre for face-offs and put Boeser in the bumper spot on PP1

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

iirc he has been on the ice for 7 of the 8 goals against.

He has gone back to trying those extremely risky cross ice passes, and been getting burned-again.

Leader?  leading poorly.

Yet when those passes click for beautiful goals we celebrate them.

He is high risk high reward. But he's also a guy who won't just accept what is happening and will adjust accordingly. He is a leader and anyone who doesn't recognize that isn't looking hard enough. He's the guy who'll call it like it is and not just settle in with rhetoric. He and Petey both hate to lose and have the ability to be the difference makers. Let's give them a little more time before we decide this team's a bust.

I also include Bo in that, because if we're going to get anywhere he will be a big part of that. 

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was on board with moving Miller and Boeser this past summer. I can understand that as a fan we don't know the options that PA had or didn't have. Bottom line is the d-core was not addressed well enough. The Poolman option was high risk for medical reasons. Yes, IMHO Meyers and Dermot would make a dif. 

Bottom line to all this is whether this group can morph into a serious CUP contender. IMO it cannot. Two teams that stand out to me are Ottawa and the Kings. We aren't there. 

I watched the Flamer/Oiler game with interest. Look at Sutter's TOI allocation. Outstanding! Boudreau played is 4th line late in the 3rd. He was trying to send a message to his leadership IMHO.  

The return and cap flexibility was a big part of it for me, but I also don't subscribe to this myth people have built around Miller.  He can be dominant, he definitely gets his points, but he's also lazy and disinterested a lot of the time and he drags the team down with him when he is.  To me, he's not worth the salary or the term length.

They had a chance to re-shspe the org with two moves and they opened the vault for both players instead and now it's the same ol, same ol

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We're in a lot of trouble if Poolman is done long term too now.

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Burroughs

Rathbone - Stillman?

Yikes

The defense was in a lot of trouble before the season started. Don't worry. Management addressed this by not drafting a RD for the 43rd consecutive draft.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Also... Whos idea is it to start every ferland season on a 7 game road trip?

Calgary is at home 9 of their first 10.  The other was in Edm last night.  Ridiculous scheduling.  They dont leave the province for their first 10 games.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The only way you can trade Pearson is either with a sweetener or taking a similar contract back for a similar type player at a different position.  That is negative value, or at the very best case scenario zero value.

No way you are getting a pick or a prospect for Pearson...

He's got 110 points in 210 games as a Canuck. 
A guy who just quietly goes about his business. 
Don't forget he has a ring on his finger as well, and that in itself has value to other teams.
With Rutherford in a big chair here now, I see Pearson being moved by or on the deadline (again), though. 
It's time for him to move on and we need help in other areas. 

• Cheers 1