The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

But it's not 2 games into the season with BB....more like 60 and counting. There must be a divided room, culture carriers on one side, and the country club on the other? No excuse for this poor start.

What? They had a great record under Bruce last year… he got the most out of a mediocre roster.

Philly is a mess… those are supposed to be the easy two points for good teams.

The chance to significantly change up the team started last deadline and went up until Miller was extended.  Each time they decided on the status quo and this roster hasn’t earned that over many years now.  Outside the market, hockey people have said this is a mediocre team that will be hanging right around the playoff bar fighting for a spot in the post season.  Seems about right, maybe generous if we have any significant injuries.

Two games is just two games, so no need to panic…but they also haven’t looked very good and the pre-season wasn’t good either.  

Some flashes of potential would be nice to see about now.  I don’t want to, yet again, need to put up a thread at the end of November showing our odds are already slim to make the playoffs and how we should start looking at how to improve the team for the next season.

Few things.

1. Horvat (Yeah I'll probably get flak for this) - this is supposed to be our leader?  I'm just not seeing it.  Maybe he's good in the dressing room, but so far this season (and frankly a good portion of last season), he just doesn't lead by example.  Isn't his nick name supposed to be bull?  He's one of our softest players.  Sad.  On other teams the Captain seems to be in the play all night - ours seems to just disappear. 

2. Power Play - This is many years now of a power play that does the same thing night after night.  I can tell you the pass each player will make on every sequence before they make it (I'm sure the other teams know as well).  Do they not understand that you need movement to open lanes, not just by the puck carrier, but the whole unit.  This is simple hockey - you move, they move.   I'm sure it will get better at some point, but its still just the same repetitive plays with a bunch of pylons bumping the puck.

3. Defense - Honestly our defense isn't as bad as a lot of people think - watch the turn-overs by the forwards, how many times they fail to clear the zone, how easy many of them back check leaving open players.  Watch when we go up the ice and how fast their forwards get onto our players - watch how long they have open players and the defense and Thatcher are left alone to clean up those extras.

4. Culture - Something has to change - there is so little heart in this team right now and it is so fragile - game one was a simple case of just giving up when a couple of things didn't go their way.  This game was just a lack of effort - pathetic.

Feels like another season of being out by November unless they figure it out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Only positive is that there are 80 games left. 

80 games, 70, 60, 50 still left. It's the habits, they should be implemented right away and yet here we are still waiting. Preseason is not important, these first few arent important. When do they become important? If we miss the playoffs by four points, these four will be important. Its the culture, its ok to lose early culture. Its gross. you never see it with teams like Tampa Bay. Our expectations need to be better than this.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

5 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I wonder how that one fan who always got sympathy sex after a loss is coping these days. 

Probably like the Canucks, playing tired, but probably a lot happier with the end result.

Just now, Jaimito said:

Y, but blowing multiple goal leads two in a row with 0 pts is worrisome.  Both games lost the go ahead goal in the third. 

Yes it is worrisome.  They can't score a goal in the 3rd period.  They need to have their best periods in the third in my opinion.  But way too early in the season.  Let's see how the rest of the road trip plays out.  They could win the next 3, and then we would be like, dang ... they could've gone 5-0.

the canucks are working really hard to deny bruce his 600th win lol. when they were down a goal late.. there really wasn't any urgency.. i dunno whats wrong with hughes but he seem to be struggling a bit.. now that poolman is out.. our RHD is Schenn Burrough and i'm guessing juulsen will be called up? omg the sky is fallingggggggg

Just now, Plsdontdoit said:

looks like blowing leads is gonna be the theme this season 

A little different this season compared to last.  Last season it was always, man the canucks are starting slowly.  Usually giving up the first goal.

few points: 

Horvat has looked disinterested or distracted 

4th line has looked good 

stillman looks solid 

miller might be the most dangerous passer in the league…in a bad way 

boeser has looked SLOW but not surprised he missed all of preseason 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, shazzam said:

This is just a continuation of Benning's "plan"

13 minutes ago, van_ws said:

Yes I do remember it took awhile for the Sedins to come into their own but it was worth it.

Tough to have much more patience any longer and I think most fans are starting to get tired of this group since it doesn't seem like they will improve. I keep seeing the same mistakes over and over again. The leadership of the team has to be accountable and called out over the lack of effort and heart. In my view, nothing is going to change until they start moving on from core guys like Horvat and Boeser.

Yes, a good portion of posters could see this clearly for quite a while now but management doubled down on this mess and made it even worse. It could be a long decade of pain.

• Cheers 1