The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Miller needs to play with actual NHL wingers. Put him with Podkolzin and Garland and see what happens. 

Horvat had his chance with them. He can now do his fly by’s with his buddy Brock and Pearson. 

Hopefully Mikheyev comes back soon so he can play with Petey and Kuzy. 

Our defence is a mess. Not sure that can be fixed this year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, van_ws said:

Yes I do remember it took awhile for the Sedins to come into their own but it was worth it.

Tough to have much more patience any longer and I think most fans are starting to get tired of this group since it doesn't seem like they will improve. I keep seeing the same mistakes over and over again. The leadership of the team has to be accountable and called out over the lack of effort and heart. In my view, nothing is going to change until they start moving on from core guys like Horvat and Boeser.

Lack of effort? Not sure we watched the same two games. 

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

I just don’t know what team would give up a RHD for Bo right now considering how public the high ask on his next contract is.

I doubt it would be possible, but Bo signed to an extension plus Hoglander for Pulock and Wahlstrom?? We have to add something else I am sure

5 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

3FA07001-5C28-45AC-88EC-5A32F2345E07.thumb.jpeg.188916ed18684c0cdd1a31cac0becaa3.jpeg

I believe Bo is capable of being a number one center. Is he though? Not unless it's the playoffs. He has all the skill in the world. Refuses to use it consistently.

Good shot, good speed, can be an absolute bull in a china shop, but we see it once every ten games.

Saying he is a number one guy is like saying Jake Virtanen is a number one winger. He can be. Just isn't.

Bo is the most frustrating player on the team because he can be so good but he doesn't care on the ice. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I agree on everything except the playing hurt excuses.....and the WHOLE TEAM is at fault, but I think that's the rub with this gang, it's a group of individuals more than it is a team. It's part of the ongoing "culture problem".

- Hughes is overrated on these boards. There, I said it. What I didn't say though (so relax peeps), was that he's not elite, because he is....but he's not a game breaking, balls to the wall coast-to-coast goal scoring kind of elite, in spite of his exemplary skating; And his shot isn't elite....but when a 6/7 D outplays him, it's more than problematic.

- Bo is playing like piss, and if it's not due to his contract sitch and him pouting, then either way it's not good enough. No pass for him.

- BB6, this is what you're going to get. Non play driving, elusive play. He'll have a bunch of 2 point games when it doesn't matter, but he's too 1 dimensional, too nice, and his tresses are better than his skating.

- EP40 was a no show too.

- Attempting pretty, Harlem Globetrotter style plays, continually to no avail, just like in recent history.

- I commented earlier inre the drop pass....it's putrid.

And so on....

Thank you for pointing out how weak a player boeser is

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Boeser stinks.  Hes too slow to elude anyone and get open to shoot.  And his shot is average.  

The team needs to give the puck to podz, petey, hogz, kuz more.

Well.. Mgmt decided to hand him a nice extension deal and barely got money left to re-sign Bo and Kuz!! 

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I disagree. It's early in the year and he has yet to swing into things and get his timing down so I'm not sure that's a fair assessment but we shall see. 

99 points was a huge fluke year for him. 60 points maybe this year. He will not be able to overcome the attemtion he will get from the league best players this year. 

• Cheers 1

Arguably the single biggest mistake the Canucks made in the last 10 years was letting Tanev walk for nothing.  Worse than LE.  Worse than any other signings. Worse than any trades.  The most damaging and needless bs mistake ever - and it may kill us again this year...

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Is there some connection to the preseasons NOT playing more of the players that have the better chance of making the team , like get the team that’s going to play the reg season together EARLIER  instead of a hodgepodge blend of bubble players  if the amateur team they sent to edm to match up against their regular roster  wasn’t a hint of bad time management  certainly they should have better indication of who’s going to make it , rather than putting the actual team together at the last minute against real opposition ??????

No correlation at all.  This preseason, Carolina iced half their team in the final preseason game.  Yet they have no issues.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The thing I miss about the 2011 core is not just their skill, but their consistency in effort.

You knew that Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa were gonna wear their heart on their sleeve and push momentum for our team.

This team needs a leadership change.

Best post in this thread.!!

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I believe Bo is capable of being a number one center. Is he though? Not unless it's the playoffs. He has all the skill in the world. Refuses to use it consistently.

Good shot, good speed, can be an absolute bull in a china shop, but we see it once every ten games.

Saying he is a number one guy is like saying Jake Virtanen is a number one winger. He can be. Just isn't.

Bo is the most frustrating player on the team because he can be so good but he doesn't care on the ice. 

he's been a disappointment as captain.

Edited by Trebreh

Special teams is killing the team. 

The subpar Dcorps is killing this team. 

They’re related. 

Make Bieksa play! :lol:

My point is simply that there’s no leadership on the backend. 

There’s plenty of leadership on the front end but when the Canucks have been ‘great’, they had 3 Leadership components. Forwards, Defence and Goaltending. 

The team has 2 out of 3. Demko and Petey, Miller, Horvat are all leaders. No real question there for me. 

The issue is on D. There’s no leadership there. Hughes is a great player, but is he the kind of a ‘leader’ that the dcorps needs? I don’t think so. 

• Cheers 1

Thank God we didn’t sign BO to an 8 year extension. As for Miller, I think he needs to start playing with better wingers. Yes he makes mistakes but if he can get his 2 points a night at least he is contributing. 

Pearson is as useful as a clogged toilet. Boeser isn’t an NHL skater. Not sure what we can get for these guys, I think both have negative value at this point. 

Hoglander can’t finish but at least he puts in the effort. We can find a spot for him on the 3rd line. 

So basically we need at least 2 new players in the top 9. And at least 2 Dmen. 

Aman is average at best. So a 4th line centre is also needed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

No correlation at all.  This preseason, Carolina iced half their team in the final preseason game.  Yet they have no issues.

The Carolina hurricanes aren’t the Vancouver canucks ,if by  after game 4s loss  they wouldn’t have had much more to lose  by icing a team a little closer to final roster but maybe a little better insite into the fact this team WASNT ready by game 1 of reg season  they could of had 3,4 games to make adjustments and figure things out instead of gambling away real points making these adjustments. Which apparently still haven’t been addressed entering into game 3.  

Edited by chon derry

9 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

99 points was a huge fluke year for him. 60 points maybe this year. He will not be able to overcome the attemtion he will get from the league best players this year. 

Miller has averaged a point a game for the last 3 years. What makes you think he can only get 60 points?  He has 2 points in 2 games. He’s still on pace for 82 points. 

18 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not the start this team was hoping for, hopefully they can turn things around before the end of the road trip. I would put the lotto line back together, I know have 3 C's in JT EP BH is nice on paper but we won't really know till we can hopefully have a full healthy Forward group when Mikheyev comes back. Not a fan of the current lines but that should be changing by Monday...

Can only go up from here right!?

Problem is though... Who's gonna fill 3C?? Lazar? Karlsson? That will just weaken our bottom 6 and then back to square one!!