The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Wonder what would happen if we went 0-5 to start the season? And then win 10-0? Do we chalk it up to bad start as a signature of the team? Or is it a sign that the individuals on the team, though good on their own, aren't good together?

Based on past history viewings. It seems like the individuals are not suited well together. But whatever. Story of the Canucks. Never great and never good

I hate drama and I don't want to keep rumours alive if there isn't any truth, but I truly believe Horvat and Miller just don't work together as leaders on the team.

To paraphrase 1883, an awesome show .. "When there's two leaders there aint no leader"

This team needs an identity and we won't have one if players don't know who their following. 

• Cheers 1

Glad they swapped Bo and Millers wingers, I was calling for that after last game. It just makes sense as a lot of those guys have chemistry from last season.

Like others have said our D is not the issue. Sure it has its struggles and we need some big upgrades, but we can win games with the guys we have.

It’s our forwards and our special teams that need to step up. This team is always gonna be a team that has to outscore its problems. That’s just the way it’s built right now. Need more effort from them to get going offensively though. Hopefully that will come with better chemistry.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I hate drama and I don't want to keep rumours alive if there isn't any truth, but I truly believe Horvat and Miller just don't work together as leaders on the team.

To paraphrase 1883, an awesome show .. "When there's two leaders there aint no leader"

This team needs an identity and we won't have one if players don't know who their following. 

I don't agree or buy into this mentality.

Back when the 2011 was killing it, they had "the" Sedins leading the way. And Bieksa was a guy in the forefront also leading the way.  Lu, Burr and Kes were leaders in their own rights. 

I don't see Bo and Miller being an issue...and, if they are, whoever has an issue with it is likely the one who we need to step away. But I don't think that's the case (at all)...I feel like it's our fanbase reaching for "answers" and creating drama. It's always something/someone's fault but that kind of thinking is finger pointing. No one needs that. Fire/get rid of/blahblahblah.....   Next victim in the queue.

Leaders don't feel threatened when others step up...it actually reflects well on their leadership when that happens and a true leader would understand that.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's great news.  Podkolzin in the bumper spot.  I see him in that role on PP1 in the not too distant future.  Playing the bumper spot could push Podkolzin into a 30 goal scorer...

Given how good Garland looks, with Boeser healthy, and now with Podz on PP2, this unit actually looks dangerous. 

OEL looked fantastic in Hughes absence too. I hope powerplay time is a bit better divided, instead of PP2 getting the scraps/last 20 seconds

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

pRe-SEasOn DosEn't MAttEr!!!

That's what everyone kept yelling at me when I expressed concern about how in shambles this group looked.

At the very least that’s where you try and dial in your special teams.

Did we ice our first unit powerplay or pk units at all in preseason?

Burroughs has looked great and seems to be a guy who I think can really develop into a shutdown defenseman.

He was our best player on the ice in every single metric and was playing like a top 4 defenseman. He reads the ice extremely well, his skating ability is by far his best attribute and comparable to Tanev’s, and he is physical and fights, gets pucks to the net and makes great zone exits.

As many have said, our defense hasn’t been the issue this far, in fact, our defense has been excellent and Burroughs seems to be emerging. It’s our top players Hughes, Horvat, but especially Miller who have lost us games, ESPECIALLY Miller.

With Poolman and Myers out now, Burroughs is going to have every opportunity available to him now, and I think he’s going to be one of those defenseman we look back on and say “he did one helluva job”. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

I think losing the first few the way they did could actually be a good thing. They’re  learning these tough lessons early. They’ll string it together. The potential we’ve been waiting for will come through this season.

How'd that work out last year?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At the very least that’s where you try and dial in your special teams.

Did we ice our first unit powerplay or pk units at all in preseason?

I don't recall, but I don't think so. Miller didn't play much until the end, and that's when Hughes was sitting. Ironically Miller, who sat the majority of the pre-season, has look absolutely awful these first 2 games. It's a team game, but if you had to pick a player to hold the responsibility of these L's, it's him.

But, to be fair, the pp did look good in the pre-season. But watching the team, something just looked... Bad. Off. I don't know how to describe it. It worried me, and it sucks to see the team playing exactly how I hoped they wouldn't to start the year.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

I don't recall, but I don't think so. Miller didn't play much until the end, and that's when Hughes was sitting. Ironically Miller, who sat the majority of the pre-season, has look absolutely awful these first 2 games. It's a team game, but if you had to pick a player to hold the responsibility of these L's, it's him.

But, to be fair, the pp did look good in the pre-season. But watching the team, something just looked... Bad. Off. I don't know how to describe it. It worried me, and it sucks to see the team playing exactly how I hoped they wouldn't to start the year.

Gotta wonder if he’s got a nagging injury from preseason.

If that’s the case they need to sit him. We have center depth no use having him at 80% all season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

Past experiences don't guarantee future ones, but there's also the definition of insanity which is what they've done with their defence, and surprise surprise?

If you believe you know the definition of insanity, you may be surprised to learn the definition of definition.