The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Oct. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

One game bud. He’s the only one we hang our hats on. 

No one deserves any critique but Demmer. He’s allowed to have bad games and bad goals without criticism. 

He’s literally the only player allowed it. 

I'd say 3 games, but it's not all his fault, but he looked rusty in preseason too.

He's really good but he often let's a softie in. 

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Rather they not produce and defend? 

Right now unfortunately it’s one or the other. 

So critique them or at least acknowledge them? Which one? 

It's not a binary thing. I'm happy JT Miller scored. I'm not happy he's on the ice for nearly every goal against.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Hockey God said:

People keep saying the word "core", but what has to be understood about this team since about 2015 is that there has been no real core, just twin brothers who represented an old but decent core for their time and then an endless stream of individuals since then.  This team needs a unifier on the roster, a guy who bleeds for the team, has the raccoon eyes to show for it, and the points when necessary.  Like a Bobby Clarke or Gary Roberts or Jeremy Roenick.  Unfortunately, that breed has died out in Vancouver, so crap hockey is all we can expect until the softies on the team are moved for whatever heart other teams are willing to move our way.  

There is a core. It's the main group of players you build around. The kind of players where their departure represents a dramatic shakeup for the team. If Tanner Pearson or Travis Dermott or Spencer Martin are switched out it doesn't represent a significant change to the structure of the team. You move Hughes, Pettersson or Demko for example, its a massive shakeup.

• Like 1

Right now it’s a piece of shit team play. Piece of shit PP.  Piece of shit Defending. Piece of shit effort. 

But, don’t be a piece of shit fan for losing your faith after 3 games. 

The team needs to trade for Defence. That’s a known. 

Until that. 

Keep your support going. 

Our collective support is what binds us together. It keeps us as ‘us’. 

‘Keep it together’ boys and girls. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I'd say 3 games, but it's not all his fault, but he looked rusty in preseason too.

He's really good but he often let's a softie in. 

He’s allowed softies now and then. 

The highlight saves he’s made over the last 3 years alone gives him that leeway. 

Demmer is the best since Lui. 

We’re lucky to have him. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Vintage 3

5 minutes ago, McBackup said:

There is a core. It's the main group of players you build around. The kind of players where their departure represents a dramatic shakeup for the team. If Tanner Pearson or Travis Dermott or Spencer Martin are switched out it doesn't represent a significant change to the structure of the team. You move Hughes, Pettersson or Demko for example, its a massive shakeup.

Remember when we all thought the core of this team was going to be Hoevat, Shinkaruk and Virtanen :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Right now it’s a piece of shit team play. Piece of shit PP.  Piece of shit Defending. Piece of shit effort. 

But, don’t be a piece of shit fan for losing your faith after 3 games. 

It's not just 3 games though. It's the pre-season, and before that it was the previous two seasons. 

Fans here are willing to give this team a chance but they were always going to have a lot of scrutiny due to their recent results 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

People keep saying the word "core", but what has to be understood about this team since about 2015 is that there has been no real core, just twin brothers who represented an old but decent core for their time and then an endless stream of individuals since then.  This team needs a unifier on the roster, a guy who bleeds for the team, has the raccoon eyes to show for it, and the points when necessary.  Like a Bobby Clarke or Gary Roberts or Jeremy Roenick.  Unfortunately, that breed has died out in Vancouver, so crap hockey is all we can expect until the softies on the team are moved for whatever heart other teams are willing to move our way.  

This team need Bedard. It needs him bad.

You just know the guy will go through titanium walls for this team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

If I see this again tomorrow, I'm gonna checkout for the year and go on a canucks detox. 

Need work through that video game backlog anyways. 

Elden Ring awaits for me. It’s so damn hard and stressful that I’ve been avoiding it but it’s also  absolutely amazing. I should start skipping the broadcasts and just get good at it with all the extra time I’ll have, and then watch game highlights after the fact. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Full image:

FfU6eb8XkAAyYsP?format=jpg&name=large

A cup champ who knows what a winning team is like.  

I hope he spoke out in the locker room and the guys listened.  

We need more character guys like him in the locker room. 

Too many country club cry babies. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

It's not just 3 games though. It's the pre-season, and before that it was the previous two seasons. 

Fans here are willing to give this team a chance but they were always going to have a lot of scrutiny due to their recent results 

Scrutiny is something I support and totally agree with. 

My Lord and Baby Jesus Christ, there’s some scrutiny that needs to be said from the fanbase and the team itself about this current team. 

But why lose heart’? Just us fans talking. Are we going to be so fickle and without ‘heart’ for the team that we either were born with, grew up with, immigrated into, and sadly, died with? 

We definitely have questions and deserve answers and change. 

But, we also need to be steadfast in our unity as ‘Canucks United’. 

Good or bad. Thick or thin. 

That’s just us. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Elden Ring awaits for me. It’s so damn hard and stressful that I’ve been avoiding it but it’s also  absolutely amazing. I should start skipping the broadcasts and just get good at it with all the extra time I’ll have, and then watch game highlights after the fact. 

What platform you on? If you're on PS I would be more than happy to help you as a summon.

‘Boys and girls’,

If we lose, keep your ‘chin up’ always. 

Your strength doesn't come from winning. It comes from struggles and hardship. Everything that you go through prepares you for the next level.

- Germany Kent. 

Edited by Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Throw a bunch of money at Trotz.  Its bad for Boudreau that management wants to change his style of coaching, not sure Trent Cull earned anything.  If he's not your guy then just cut Boudreau loose and hire your guy but yeah its affected Bruce he doesnt seem himself this year.

Here is the thing though,

Who on this team is remotely capable of playing Trotz's system?

Trotz will just become Torts 2.0 (without the yelling and hallway brawling) because no one on this roster is able or willing to play defense

But I agree about Cull

and what about Yeo?

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Rather than changing the coach, this time change the players. 

But we did change 1/2 the coaches over the summer

this team does everything backwards and even when it almost works out, like last years push it still comes back and bites us.

Boudreau was hired before Rutherford who then hired Alvin

they said the right things... Rutherford was OK with Bruce, yada

But Bruce also brought in Scott Walker, a really under-appreciated part of last years team, before Rutherford was hired

and then there was Brad Shaw, who some saw as Green's heir apparent

And there was Kyle Gustavson, nobody really knew what he did, but they played well when he was part of Bruce's team

Remember when people were happy that Wonkie Willie got to run out his contract, because 'at least we aren't like the Oilers, changing coaches every year'?

With the exception of Ian Clarke and Jason King (how did he escape all the firings?) the Canucks have rolled over their entire staff twice in 6 months

It kind of reminds me about how the Canucks fired Mike Sullivan and kept Glen Gulutzan when they fired Torts.

NO one seems to notice that the guy they fired went on to win 2 Stanley Cups   

and Dorrie, what can we say about Dorrie?

BUt I look at  the coaching staff right now and I ask, what do they each bring to the table?

who is in charge of the PP?

and who is in charge of the PK?

and who has replaced whatever it was that Scott Walker brought?

It seems to me, after the coaching change that we started to see the value of Brad Shaw, who has replaced that?

What they have done, is tinker with what modicum of success they did generate last season

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

What is with Horvat and Boeser's demeanor out there?  Boeser is doing fly-bys, Horvat doesn't want to hurt a fly out on the ice.  

Washington scored 4 even strength goals tonight and Horvat's line was on for the first three.  Embarassing.  

I'm not including Pearson in this because he was actually the one saving grace of that line the entire night.  

Maybe what you see is what you get.

Horvat is good at winning faceoffs, but he is not a Selke candidate, and he barely has more assists than goals

and he thinks he is worth more $ than he is

and he is the captain, for better or worse, and he had a rough negotiation last time as well

and what if he is telling 1/2 the truth when he says, "We love Vancouver, my wife loves Vancouver"

what if his wife does love Vancouver, but every time he negotiates a contract, he loves Vancouver a little less?

And Boeser has had a lot of injuries, but he is and always has been paid for potential

he has never had a 30 goal season, but his pay keeps rising based on that potential he showed in the first 2 seasons

and even then he was amassing injuries

I can't even recall if he was fast when he was a rookie, because the back injury killed whatever speed he may have possessed 

add to that multiple hand injuries

and one more thing, that no one is talking about,

when was the last time Quinn Hughes was anywhere near the net, when a goal gets scored against him?

He is not getting outmuscled for goals because he is nowhere near the net when the goal goes in

look at the Sheehan goal tonight for an example

OEL and Stillman should be the LD PK guys

• Upvote 1