The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Oct. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Garland gets disrespected cause of his size. Truth is we need more Garland type of players.

No way the relationship will be the same after this with Garland and coach/management. What a mistake they are making, our best 5v5 players last year.

The luuongo effect@!@@

11 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

True.  This j-23 guy just plays too much fantasy hockey.  

You need players that can impose their will and intimidate the other team, but not in a goonish way.   

Does the rat come to mind in this conversation? Certainly and hardly any pushback except for the odd time but at a certain point if it gets left alone then other teams know exactly how to beat you.. 

Saying tougher players can't play hockey is well.. fill in the blank..  but again without pushback we'll get as far as we always have. 

That's why Schenn is still here, Lazar and Joshua are here, you don't need a ton of it but you need "some" just to keep other teams honest. This isn't new... In my mind Gillis and JB should have went after a bigger tougher linemate for the twins...  F you Marchand (just saying)!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Our PK was worst in the league last year. If special teams is easy to fix as you say, why hasn’t it been fixed this year? We had training camp and pre-season. We are second worst in PK percentage at 57.1%. 

Last season we were out of the Playoffs in the first 15-20 games. So yes, fans have every right to be pissed cause it’s looking like the same case. It’s going to take us infill game 10-12 to reach .500 that is if we start winning.

I still think we snag a wildcard spot.

Okay so I said this way earlier.. But I’ll say it again.

Last year we went through 3 PK coaches, not sure it you or @Shayster007were aware of that. At the end of the year, the guy who made a huge impact on our PK issue which was killing at 80%, was let go at the end of the season. Oddly enough that same guy was the PK coach in Philly this year where we allowed a short handed goal and went 0/5 on the PP. That man is Brad Shaw. We hired new staff to make changes to something that was working after Brad Shaw took over. It was the same players last year, just a different PK coach. So on ice personnel wasnt the issue. Demko and Halak although, were not our best PKers early on and they need to be our best PKers. 
So now this year… ITS ONLY 4 GAMES IN REMEMBER… its new systems and although our PK % looks horrendous, you need to factor in a few things. The blatant missed high stick that turned a 5v4 into a 5v3 with pure confusion on the ice, thats a huge issue that isnt a systematic issue. The 2nd PPG, kudos to Edmonton, they executed 3 shots and a pass in under 1.5 seconds. Theres nothing anyone could have done to adjust that quickly, then you have the short handed goalie pull to make it 5v5 in the last minute, which gave edmonton a free empty net at ES, which counts as a PPG. So really 3/4 should be 2/4 and the first one shouldnt have happened. Then Philly gets a PPG on a beautiful tip up high, not really anything the goalie could have done and Demko could see the shot the whole way so its not like we screened him or let him get screened. We killed the other 4 penalties though. 
The WSH game, Ovi doesnt shoot?!? Wtf no one expected that, Demko made the save and the puck was under his pad, he panicked and closed his legs and sent the puck into his own net. Like really does this sound like a sh*t PK system or just some really bad luck? The 2nd PPG for WSH, we didnt box out strong enough. That was a failure. Last game we didnt allow a PPG.

Im not worried…Yet. Its very early and the goals against have been flukey, just like the Zamboni door bounce 8 seconds in.

edit: percentages are heavily skewed right now, so looking at PP and PK % 2-4 games in, isnt accurate. this isnt going to be sustained league wide for the year. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Does the rat come to mind in this conversation? Certainly and hardly any pushback except for the odd time but at a certain point if it gets left alone then other teams know exactly how to beat you.. 

Saying tougher players can't play hockey is well.. fill in the blank..  but again without pushback we'll get as far as we always have. 

That's why Schenn is still here, Lazar and Joshua are here, you don't need a ton of it but you need "some" just to keep other teams honest. This isn't new... In my mind Gillis and JB should have went after a bigger tougher linemate for the twins...  F you Marchand (just saying)!

Schenn - 6 dman

Joshua - AHL'er who has never played more than 30 games a season

Lazar - 4th liner

This isn't going to help us beat Playoff teams, no matter what toughness they bring. 

Pushback is a pack mentality, something everyone on the team needs to do.

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Schenn - 6 dman

Joshua - AHL'er who has never played more than 30 games a season

Lazar - 4th liner

This isn't going to help us beat Playoff teams, no matter what toughness they bring. 

Pushback is a pack mentality, something everyone on the team needs to do.

Joshua a ahl'er? Dude put the pipe down! Back away from it slowly..  and the last part is what I've been on about for years. 

P.S. Schenn doesn't have to be great to play with Hughes, that's why he's playing, when he wasn't other teams were physically going after him.. are you paying attention or what?! lmao

Edited by iceman64

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

clearly BB goes for the low hanging fruit and doesn't have the backbone to sit the guys who have been the laziest, least effective players on the ice.

Or perhaps he knows that in order for them to gel and start building some chemistry it's important they play. I mean, considering the fact that they used preseason to get looks at other players, I doubt very much it'll do any good to sit our best players. He seems to have plenty of backbone so I don't think it's that. He exercises patience, which is required but fans don't seem to have much of. They need to get up to game speed and you do that by playing not sitting.

10 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Last year we went through 3 PK coaches, not sure it you or @Shayster007were aware of that. At the end of the year, the guy who made a huge impact on our PK issue which was killing at 80%, was let go at the end of the season. Oddly enough that same guy was the PK coach in Philly this year where we allowed a short handed goal and went 0/5 on the PP. That man is Brad Shaw. We hired new staff to make changes to something that was working after Brad Shaw took over. It was the same players last year, just a different PK coach. So on ice personnel wasnt the issue. Demko and Halak although, were not our best PKers early on and they need to be our best PKers. 
So now this year… ITS ONLY 4 GAMES IN REMEMBER… its new systems and although our PK % looks horrendous, you need to factor in a few things. The blatant missed high stick that turned a 5v4 into a 5v3 with pure confusion on the ice, thats a huge issue that isnt a systematic issue. The 2nd PPG, kudos to Edmonton, they executed 3 shots and a pass in under 1.5 seconds. Theres nothing anyone could have done to adjust that quickly, then you have the short handed goalie pull to make it 5v5 in the last minute, which gave edmonton a free empty net at ES, which counts as a PPG. So really 3/4 should be 2/4 and the first one shouldnt have happened. Then Philly gets a PPG on a beautiful tip up high, not really anything the goalie could have done and Demko could see the shot the whole way so its not like we screened him or let him get screened. We killed the other 4 penalties though. 
The WSH game, Ovi doesnt shoot?!? Wtf no one expected that, Demko made the save and the puck was under his pad, he panicked and closed his legs and sent the puck into his own net. Like really does this sound like a sh*t PK system or just some really bad luck? The 2nd PPG for WSH, we didnt box out strong enough. That was a failure. Last game we didnt allow a PPG.

Im not worried…Yet. Its very early and the goals against have been flukey, just like the Zamboni door bounce 8 seconds in.

edit: percentages are heavily skewed right now, so looking at PP and PK % 2-4 games in, isnt accurate. this isnt going to be sustained league wide for the year. 

New systems, unlucky bounce, missed call, weren't expecting Ovi not to shoot. It just sounds like excuses, heard the same ones last year.

Like I said, I think this team snags a wildcard spot, but the PK will be a disaster like last season. Maybe not as bad, but def bottom 10 in the league. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

get over yourself and raise your standards. 

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Joshua a ahl'er? Dude put the pipe down! Back away from it slowly..  and the last part is what I've been on about for years. 

A guy who has never played more than 30 games in a season. Come on. What is with this fanbase and hyping up these non-NHL'ers.

At least we on the same page for it being a team mentality.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

New systems, unlucky bounce, missed call, weren't expecting Ovi not to shoot. It just sounds like excuses, heard the same ones last year.

Like I said, I think this team snags a wildcard spot, but the PK will be a disaster like last season. Maybe not as bad, but def bottom 10 in the league. 

Not when Mike gets up to speed...  Needs a game or two...

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

A guy who has never played more than 30 games in a season. Come on. What is with this fanbase and hyping up these non-NHL'ers.

At least we on the same page for it being a team mentality.  

Your hilarious... If he was a ahl'er one of the best GM's ever wouldn't have signed him but of course you know better than he does.. 

We're done son, talk to the hand.. bye.. 

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Umm… facts? This is a completely new PK system and its 4 games in. Take a chill pill.  Those goals are not systematic breakdowns they are just unfortunate bounces. Thats the point I’m making. Is it a sht system when those are the kind of goals going in? Or is it bad luck?

7 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

get over yourself and raise your standards. 

I get the sense you’ve got a crush. You said you were done with the convo ages ago and wont stop talking. I’ll be in town this weekend for the game, come on down to the shark club for pre-game beers, you can get a selfie and an autograph. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

Umm… facts? This is a completely new PK system and its 4 games in. Take a chill pill.  Those goals are not systematic breakdowns they are just unfortunate bounces. Thats the point I’m making. Is it a sht system when those are the kind of goals going in? Or is it bad luck?

We are not a good enough club to have our goalies stopping pucks at sub .850 and expect to win.  We need Demko to heat up and play like the top five (in the league) goalie he is.  Then we will win lots of games.