The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

On 11/1/2022 at 12:47 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think we have room for both.  We can't have all these small defencemen in the lineup.  Bear shoots right so if he plays well then you can trade Dermott and try and get a pick back.  Stillman, Burroughs, Brisebois are all interchangeable.  Poolman is gone for the year.  We basically have like 11-12 Dmen but only 3 of them are really top 4 guys, Hughes, OEL and Myers.  Schenn and Bear would have to rotate into the top 4.  

I keep Schenn in there full time..we need his grit and toughness back there. Myers needs to play his size to be an affective defensemen which he is poorly lacking. Agree to move Dermott out if Bear out plays him. 

Ethan Bear has looked awfully good so far.  He has made some mistakes, but is still finding his legs and rhythm.  We has been solid defensively, which is exactly what we need,  We have to find a few more deals like this. I'd do this one all day every day.

• Cheers 2

On 11/3/2022 at 2:10 PM, RolexSub said:

I keep Schenn in there full time..we need his grit and toughness back there. Myers needs to play his size to be an affective defensemen which he is poorly lacking. Agree to move Dermott out if Bear out plays him. 

It sucks that he is injured but Dermott is definitely worth keeping around. 

1. He is still young at 25
2. He is cheap - because of his injuries he probably won't break out this year so a guy like him at 1.5M is a steal
3. Versatile - plays right side, left side, and can adapt to offensive and defensive deployments
4. Potential - his underlying numbers shine, and he also had a good stint last year. A lot of writers and fans thought he should have been given a top 4 role. He seems like the perfect guy to slot in as your #5 and have him move up the lineup. He could develop into a very good player and is worth taking a flyer on. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/travis-dermott-top-four-potential-canucks

I have a very similar sentiment to Ethan Bear! He actually did quite well playing massive minutes and has enormous upside for what we are paying him. These are two guys I want to see stick around for sure and hopefully we don't have to spend big money on washups like OEL and Myers in the future or pick up a 6/7 guy like Poolman for 2.5 million. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, suitup said:

Realistically, all we need is someone to babysit Myers and someone to babysit OEL so we can split them apart and have them do their thing. 

OEL doesn’t need a babysitter, but he also should not be paired with Myers because as a pair they suck. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

OEL doesn’t need a babysitter, but he also should not be paired with Myers because as a pair they suck. 

Yes, but a babysitter for OEL will hopefully activate his offensive prowess. The guy scored 20 goals on the coyotes, we need him back. Defenseman age well and there has to be some sort of revival for him somewhere. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, suitup said:

Realistically, all we need is someone to babysit Myers and someone to babysit OEL so we can split them apart and have them do their thing. 

Well technically we need to have someone to babysit Hughes and someone to babysit OEL, so Schenn can be pushed down onto a 3rd pairing with Myers and play where he should be on a decent D.

Schenn is filling in better than we can realistically hope for and playing above his pay grade, but any team wanting to contend probably shouldn’t have him on a top pairing.

JR talks about puck moving D… I am not sure how he doesn’t realize he has them… but is using them as shut down guys instead.  For all the Myers gaffes in the defensive zone, if he has  the right partner, he could be a high end 3rd pairing guy who pots in some offence.

OEL is still one of the better offensive D in the league, you saw it immediately when Hughes got hurt and he had to fill in on that role.  A stay at home partner unlocks his actual skillset again, instead of setting him up to fail as a shutdown guy.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Well technically we need to have someone to babysit Hughes and someone to babysit OEL, so Schenn can be pushed down onto a 3rd pairing with Myers and play where he should be on a decent D.

Schenn is filling in better than we can realistically hope for and playing above his pay grade, but any team wanting to contend probably shouldn’t have him on a top pairing.

That would be great but now we have two RHD in Myers and Schenn on the third pairing. Who plays with Bear? OEL or Hughes? In the meantime, who occupies top pairing RHD? 

34 minutes ago, suitup said:

That would be great but now we have two RHD in Myers and Schenn on the third pairing. Who plays with Bear? OEL or Hughes? In the meantime, who occupies top pairing RHD? 

Schenn plays both sides.  There isn’t any realistic way to get rid of Myers.

Bear, Dermott, Stillman, Poolman are all just fodder.

Who knows who would play the two RHD…. That is entirely the point 

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Bear has been playing much better than just fodder 

32 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I know this probably belongs in the GDT or now I guess the PGT, but I was quite disturbed by how the SNet video crew seem to focus in on EB74 after a goal against.  This happened with the game in Ottawa, and then there was a good 15-20 seconds where the camera focussed in on him after the JR3 cough-up, as if somehow the goal against was his fault.  If anything, the camera spotlight should have been placed on Rathbonehead for his Rathboneheaded cough-up and slow leisurely skate chasing after the opportunistic Hoffman who took the cough-up from him and scored.

PS, that 2nd Dach goal is also JR3's fault for chasing the play on the other side of the ice leaving Dach wide open.  I get that Bruce (there it is) wants the players to play through their difficulties, but JR3 needs to give his Rathbonehead a shake and start playing like a pro.

Maybe Rathbone's just not that good. He's also inexperienced. Sorry, I didn't see the game, so not sure what happened exactly. 

I thought Bear's game has been good since he's been Vancouver. Nobody has looked particularly good in Van, so the fact that EB74 has looked decent, means he's doing his part in trying to help the team. 

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Makes sense but I was trying to ask of the defenseman we have available how would you line up the last two? Or at least the last one with the other being a question mark. 

Makes sense but I was trying to ask of the defenseman we have available how would you line up the last two? Or at least the last one with the other being a question mark. 

9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I know this probably belongs in the GDT or now I guess the PGT, but I was quite disturbed by how the SNet video crew seem to focus in on EB74 after a goal against.  This happened with the game in Ottawa, and then there was a good 15-20 seconds where the camera focussed in on him after the JR3 cough-up, as if somehow the goal against was his fault.  If anything, the camera spotlight should have been placed on Rathbonehead for his Rathboneheaded cough-up and slow leisurely skate chasing after the opportunistic Hoffman who took the cough-up from him and scored.

I noticed that too. Bear actually hustled his butt off down the ice and slid across to take away the pass. He played it perfectly, very strange of the camera crew to focus in on him.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 1