Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Muttley said:
Team Shots Hits Blocked FO Wins Giveaways Takeaways Power Plays
NJ 37 14 17 57.7% 3 7 1/1
VAN 23 22 11 42.3% 5 12 2/5

NJD was 57.7% in the faceoffs….which leads to possession which leads to shots… which lead to goals…. Horvat was the only guy that was over 50% in a lopsided loss/lopsided faceoffs.. AGAIN. This isnt the first time this season either where he was the only guy above 50%. He was 55% and Pettersson was 33% thats like the 3rd or 4th time Petey has been under 40%, Studnicka was dudnicka in the dot at 29%. Aman was 50% but Im not sure how many he took. 

Horvat has consistently been above 50% in almost every single game this season. If we lose him, its going to get a lot uglier. Idc what the return is, if its not a consistent C, we’ll be chasing pucks and digging them out of the back of our net a lot more often.

Our centre’s not named Horvat, need to start pulling their weight. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What happened to the team? Lots of good players, but the team is almost non-existent. Too many new players? Maybe as the season goes on, the chemistry will build.

Why so many injuries? Poor training camp? Players not properly conditioned? Regardless, if a good team has injuries it's the next man up as if little has changed. Other teams seem to play a disciplined system, but the Canucks are like chickens without their heads. Passes are off, communication issues? 

Have you seen the blue line?

Its really not a mystery at all as to why this team is bad. Every single person including most Nucks fans were in agreement that the defense wasn’t good enough to compete with the top teams…or even average teams for that matter. Keep in mind, that was being optimistic and thinking Hughes would approve at least in the slightest defensively and OEL would discover the fountain of youth (and a new shoulder for that matter). Instead, Hughes has struggled in his own zone and OEL is doing his best Russell Wilson impression.

Seriously, who is the Nucks 2nd best Dman at the moment? Myers? Burroughs? Good lord. Meet new management, same as old management.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

OEL was terrible yesterday. Arizona has to be laughing at us right now for agreeing to that trade last year. Not only is OEL declining and Garland struggling to find consistency, but Guenther, who the Yotes took with that pick looks like the real deal. Without that deal, all of the 4th liners’ contracts we traded to AZ would be expired by now, and we would have Guenther + extra cap space. Instead we have 2 anchor contracts now, no top prospect, and no cap space.

Jim Benning set this franchise back for years, and should be sued by the fans for being a malpractice quack.

I can't speak about Guenther, the hurt is too real. He was my guy of that entire draft and we could have had him...

But I'm free to speak of OEL. It's shocking how bad he has been this year. I honestly think when JR has made his comments about the veterans on the team not stepping up, it's directed in large part at OEL. He looked good last year, better then I was expecting. But he has looked just terrible this year. He mobility is bad, and he decision making defensively has been puzzling at best.

How he is wearing an A right now and not Schenn is beyond me.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Based on this teams history of getting shafted in the draft lottery, anyone hinging their hopes of being at the bottom of the standings and having a chance to draft Bedard should think long and hard about that opinion lol. This team could finish dead last and will still draft 5th overall lol.

trading down is always an option

• Upvote 1

At this stage, the team just needs a complete re-valuation. The FO talked tough..then did FA. Honestly, not sure if thats a rebuild OR just trading some key players. At this point:

1) Hire a long term coach that fits the scheme/system the FO wants. The fat man looks lost and confused this year.

2) Play the current players; let new coach evaluate play and their fit in the room

3) PA needs to follow coaches direction, and build team as they see fit. Maybe move a couple of the key players....maybe a core guy...maybe a trade for a room leader..who knows. Let's get a coach that can analyze that.

4)Draft and trade to fill voids with players that FIT THE SYSTEM AND ROOM

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

14 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

OEL was terrible yesterday. Arizona has to be laughing at us right now for agreeing to that trade last year. Not only is OEL declining and Garland struggling to find consistency, but Guenther, who the Yotes took with that pick looks like the real deal. Without that deal, all of the 4th liners’ contracts we traded to AZ would be expired by now, and we would have Guenther + extra cap space. Instead we have 2 anchor contracts now, no top prospect, and no cap space.

Jim Benning set this franchise back for years, and should be sued by the fans for being a malpractice quack.

I think A LOT of fans seem to forget benning’s fingerprints are still all over this team and need to give the new management a little bit of a break.

Allvin and Rutherford took over an impossible task of moving out money and turning this around within a year 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Devron said:

No I don’t agree that’s a problem at all. Centers should be Petey and Horvat. A tweener? The guys a 30 goal scorer. Has 8 on the year already. Face off guru. 

Big F up re-signing Miller. Horvat will be traded I have no doubt about it now. But it is a F up. Management painted him into a corner by re-signing Miller. 

Contract year, guys always step up and play better in a contract year. Agree on Miller, they wiffed last TDL and they can't make the same mistake again. I would trade Miller and Bo at the TDL if possible if it means bringing in some high end center and defense prospects and some 2023 first round picks. Especially prospects that will fill the ELC role over the next 1 to 3 years.

Horvat is average 5v5, strong on the PP, and strong on faceoffs. He is a solid player but he should not be the Captain and he isn't driving the bus for this team (the mix isn't working and hasn't been working for nine seasons). 

Is he a good player? Yes. Is he worth committing to for $7M+x8? Not IMHO. Time to restock and provide talent underneath the sub 25 year old players.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

People need to stop thinking it is just Connor Bedard, there is a lot of very high end talent at the top of this draft.  Getting a top 5 pic is worth it this year even if don’t win the draft lottery. This a great chance to plug one of 2 giant holes in this organization, high end RD and C. 

It is a great year to sell for pics even deep into the draft. Use retention to maximize returns. It just isn’t going to happen now because of cap complications unless it is a desperation move from TO.
This team is screaming at management, ownership and the fans that we need change.  How much more clearly can the players say it than they have on the ice so far this year. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Contract year, guys always step up and play better in a contract year. Agree on Miller, they wiffed last TDL and they can't make the same mistake again. I would trade Miller and Bo at the TDL if possible if it means bringing in some high end center and defense prospects and some 2023 first round picks. Especially prospects that will fill the ELC role over the next 1 to 3 years.

Horvat is average 5v5, strong on the PP, and strong on faceoffs. He is a solid player but he should not be the Captain and he isn't driving the bus for this team (the mix isn't working and hasn't been working for nine seasons). 

Is he a good player? Yes. Is he worth committing to for $7M+x8? Not IMHO. Time to restock and provide talent underneath the sub 25 year old players.

A big part of that could be because Bo has never had any decent linemates. Who have his consistent winger been throughout his career? Pearson? He's rarely had regular top-6 calibre wingers. He looks good when he's playing with good players on the PP, imagine if he had some decent wingers 5-on-5 throughout his career here.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

People need to stop thinking it is just Connor Bedard, there is a lot of very high end talent at the top of this draft.  Getting a top 5 pic is worth it this year even if don’t win the draft. This a great chance to plug one of 2 giant holes in this organization, high end RD and C. 

It is a great year to sell for pics even deep into the draft. Use retention to maximize returns. It just isn’t going to happen now because of cap complications unless it is a desperation move from TO.
This team is screaming at management, ownership and the fans that we need change.  How much more clearly can the players say it than they have on the ice so far this year. 

Lets not come to any hasty conclusions. :mellow:

studying owen joyner GIF by Nickelodeon

7 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

He’s been consistent for a long time with shit teammates most of his career. His current goal scoring pace goes back to next year. I stand by my statement that it’s a mistake. 

It doesn’t matter though the damage is done 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

At this stage, the team just needs a complete re-valuation. The FO talked tough..then did FA. Honestly, not sure if thats a rebuild OR just trading some key players. At this point:

1) Hire a long term coach that fits the scheme/system the FO wants. The fat man looks lost and confused this year.

2) Play the current players; let new coach evaluate play and their fit in the room

3) PA needs to follow coaches direction, and build team as they see fit. Maybe move a couple of the key players....maybe a core guy...maybe a trade for a room leader..who knows. Let's get a coach that can analyze that.

4)Draft and trade to fill voids with players that FIT THE SYSTEM AND ROOM

As much as I like Bruce, I don't think he's the coach that new management wanted, and he knows it. His heart doesn't seem in it like last year, and whatever he's doing, it's clearly not working. During that timeout last night, he just looked dejected, and did nothing to inspire the team. I was expecting some F-bombs to drop. The optics of 3 coaches in 2 years along with the money being paid out probably means he's going to ride out the year. But things are starting to look so bleak, you never know. At this rate the Canucks are on pace for nearly their worst season in history. Most people think they are better than their record so far, but... what if they're not?

• There it is 2

For a team that loves Bruce as much as they do, I'm not sure why they're playing him out of a job.

The team dug deep with a few minutes left in the game, but the game is 60 minutes long. They looked average-to-bad for a big majority of that. Maybe they don't have the high end D that some teams do, but it's a team game and every player should be better defensively. Plus, they have Demko, who claimed he wants to be the best in the league this year. That seems laughable the way he's played. 

The players weren't prepared to start the season, and it's snowballing with every loss. 

• Cheers 1