The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

It is about value to cap hit, you keep the positive value to cap hit. 

If you say so. Agree to disagree on this one vancan but I appreciate your viewpoint. We need all the spare cap and assets we can get. As of now there is not much here for Garland to show an example to. Cart before the horse imo.

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'm not sure what these guys are seeing. It's kind of like they don't realize how dire the situation is. I don't want to dump him for nothing to get rid of him as in I don't like him but it's not like he's some integral piece to winning in a Cup in his next 3 years of his contract. If someone offers us a good deal to get this circus moving along in the right direction I'm taking it. I mean we just signed Lazar, Joshua, Mikeyhev, Kuzmenko, and (unmovable) Boeser. Traded for Studnicka, have Aman as a depth piece ... who else do they think they're trading to right the ship?

We're running out of players unless they think this team is doing fine the way it is. :frantic: :(

The problem is Garland was more value here than anything we get in a trade. He is in his prime has a good 4 to 6 years of play at his current pace. He can help be apart of a positive rebuild. The only way you trade him is for a top ten pick, and no team in that position is trading picks. He brings alot this team needs more of : number one he draws penalaties ( Petey is the only other one to do at his rate), number two 5 on 5 play tops on the team.... repeating myself. Would not be surprised to see this management trade him and lose huge. 

19 minutes ago, singing chef said:

Canucks are too easily muscled off the puck and blocked out along the boards.  Too many smaller/lighter players (Garland, Hoglander, Hughes, Rathbone, Dowling).  Those that have size/weight are simply not using it effectively (Miller, Boeser, Kuzmenko, Pearson, Horvat, Myers, Stillman). 

Need to get in the face of the opposition, hit them at every safe opportunity, make them afraid of the BIG hit.  Still cannot fathom why Burroughs is being sat out.  He had forwards looking over their shoulder.

As well, the team totally lacks cohesion on a consistent basis;  it is evident periodically but rarely for a full 30 minutes.   I've been watching since they were in the WHL and among the first season ticket holders - that's 52 years of being a loyal fan.  This season's edition of Canucks is as puzzling and frustrating as any of the prior 52 ! 

C'mon ownership/management/players - somebody FIX THIS ! 

Yeah they are looking like size is an issue. Getting pushed around by other teams, EDM, NJ & now MTL. Not great.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

If you say so. Agree to disagree on this one vancan but I appreciate your viewpoint. We need all the spare cap and assets we can get. As of now there is not much here for Garland to show an example to. Cart before the horse imo.

I agree with you on this.  I like the player, he is talented but at the end of the day he is a undersized 50 point winger.  He generates a lot of noise on the boards, which is fine, but can you win the big prize with more than one smallish player in your top 6. 

Regarding cap hit, Garland is touted around here as being great value for the dollar.  Maybe we are so used to watching Loui, OEL Myers etc so Garland looks like a steal.  But last year - according to this site (and someone correct me if I am wrong) -he ranked 342 in the nhl for all forwards cost per point.  Granted there are players that played fewer games...so even at best hes probably around average at best when it comes to value.

https://www.capfriendly.com/cost-per-point/2022/season/forwards

At the end of the day if you want to fix the defence hes one of the few chips of value that can be moved.

• Cheers 3

47 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

You build around that when the cap hit to value is positive. You do not trade this type of value for unknown assets. 

This mindset of fix nothing and keep doing the same thing with the same players is mind boggling. The way we lose and the statistics we have come with NHL records. They arnt the good ones either haha! You know that word JR uses? Accountability? It's about to he applied so I'd buckle up :lol:

28 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah they are looking like size is an issue. Getting pushed around by other teams, EDM, NJ & now MTL. Not great.

Exactly.  How many times have we seen Hughes and Rathbone muscled off the puck?  It happens all game long.  There is no way we are going to be able to play any sort of structured defense with dmen that cant defend. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

This mindset of fix nothing and keep doing the same thing with the same players is mind boggling. The way we lose and the statistics we have come with NHL records. They arnt the good ones either haha! You know that word JR uses? Accountability? It's about to he applied so I'd buckle up :lol:

Garland would not be in JR accountability top ten list :lol: He would be one of the last players JR would put on the trade block. He would listen to offers, but he would have to win the trade for anything to happen.  I just do not get the idea that Garland should be traded for the sake of making change and be fine with any kind of return. Now if Miller was traded for sake of cap space for anything I be fine with that. Ths ship for getting value for Miller has sailed. He alone will cause this team cap troubles for years if not moved. 

1 minute ago, vancan2233 said:

Garland would not be in JR accountability top ten list :lol: He would be one of the last players JR would put on the trade block. He would listen to offers, but he would have to win the trade for anything to happen.  I just do not get the idea that Garland should be traded for the sake of making change and be fine with any kind of return. Now if Miller was traded for sake of cap space for anything I be fine with that. Ths ship for getting value for Miller has sailed. He alone will cause this team cap troubles for years if not moved. 

You just have to give value to get value.. We have soo little options in that regard. As I always say... Whatever the outcome is, I just hope it works out in our teams best interest for long term success 

27 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

You just have to give value to get value.. We have soo little options in that regard. As I always say... Whatever the outcome is, I just hope it works out in our teams best interest for long term success 

Why are we talking about trades right know anyways? Let the team play terrible until trade deadline, Then worry about who comes asking for our players. Hope Miller is the number one ask for in trades, but if Horvat keeps going the way he is?  The writting is on the wall! Unless this team surprises everyone, change is coming. Fans need to be ready for disapointment on the return. There will be no first round picks or top propects coming back with Canuck's luck. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Why we talking about trades right know anyways? Let the team play terrible until trade deadline then worry about who teams come asking for. Hope Miller is the number one ask for in trades, but if Horvat keeps going the way he is?  The writting is on the wall unless this team surprises everyone, change is coming. Fans need to be ready for disapointment on the return. There will be no first round picks or top propects coming back with Canuck luck. 

Problem with Miller is he is now signed for 8yrs; he is NOT a TDL guy anymore. Any team that would want Miller needs to have cap space, and think he'd put them over the top. Off the top of my head without looking in detail, a team like NJ could be the landing zone. With their style of play, they have a legit chance to do damage this year, and could massage him into the cap long term

Edited by BC_Hawk

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Why?  Small player that doesnt give the team what it needs.  

Sorry Eddie, but you have watched Dries play before right? Personally, I'd go with what I was hearing a few days back; go with 7 Dman. Have Burroughs or even Rathbone take a few 3/4th shifts

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Sorry Eddie, but you have watched Dries play before right? Personally, I'd go with what I was hearing a few days back; go with 7 Dman. Have Burroughs or even Rathbone take a few 3/4th shifts

I dont like Dries either.  Dries shouldnt be in this lineup. Neither should rathbone. 

Give the minutes to Burroughs. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sure, I just don't get the keep him at all costs thinking. No on this team should be untradeable. @stawns is talking about trading Petey or Hughes ...  but Garland is untouchable? Hmmm. I don't get it. Especially a Garland type player in the mix of everything that's going on. Keep him, don't keep him. Either way I don't think he's delivering us to the promised land. Color me confused on this one. At one point he also considered Myers untouchable too so ...

To be clear, trading one of Petey or Hughes would be because it would be a very lopsided trade and that's really what they need

• Cheers 1