The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed. I believe management miscalculated, this team likely isn't as good as they thought.

I think most fans did too, they looked at the second half Bruce-bump squad with Demko stealing games and said "this is the real team...this is definitely sustainable through next year"

I mean, to expect this squad to have a top 3 winning percentage like they did down the second half stretch last year is essentially saying this is a top 3 or even top 5 team in this league. Let that sink in.  

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Rathbone has been either unnoticeable, or absolutely terrible each time out.  He is not an NHL player at this point, on one of the worst D corps in the league,  Most teams Rathbone is not even top 10 on their depth chart. 

Not every deal ties into another one. Rathbone is nothing like Forsling, not even close.  

Remember last year when some were saying trade Hughes rathbone is just as good lol

19 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yeah. Makar has the benefit of an elite partner. Which elevates him to the stratosphere. There are ppl that would probably take Makar over Bedard.

I agree Makar definitely benefits from playing with someone as good as Toews, that's just stating the obvious. But to say Toews "elevates him to the stratosphere" is crazy.  Which sounds a lot like Makar is only good because he plays with Toews...which obviously isn't true.

Literally EVERYONE would take Makar over Bedard, every NHL GM and every NHL coach as well. What is your deal with hating Makar? lol really curious. 

Bedard has never played an NHL game, nor does anyone know what kind of NHL'r he will be. It's not even a debate which one people would rather have. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

6 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I agree Makar definitely benefits from playing with someone as good as Toews, but to say Toews "elevates him to the stratosphere" is crazy. 

Literally EVERYONE would take Makar over Bedard, every NHL GM and every NHL coach as well. What is your deal with hating Makar? lol really curious. 

Bedard has never played an NHL game, nor does anyone know what kind of NHL'r he will be. It's not even a debate which one people would rather have. 

Lol wut. Bedard is the same size as Crosby. I was basically joking. I don't think any teams would take Makar over Bedard. You are over hyping Makar. 

That's like taking Erik Karrlson over Crosby 8 years ago.

I don't have a problem with Makar. I have a problem with hyped defensman. Especially when they aren't on your team. If Hughs wasn't on this team , this fanbase would think much more highly of him 

28 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Rathbone is not playing good but not terrible. I think right now Makar would look bad on this core. OEL and Myers just not thinking the game right now. Who ever pairs with those two look bad. It has a carry down effect to the other pairings knowing they can not make mistakes too, or the team and goalie have no chance. Rathbone would look better on a team that is playing better. I disagree he has been unnoticeable, you can see his skill carry and passing the puck. He is ready just not with the group playing like it is. 

Rathbone has played 6 games this year.  At my count 5 goals have been a direct result of his play.  I don't mean that in the sense of him getting beat by a nice move or shot, but directly turning over the puck, or being so far out of position it caused the goal.  

He is almost directly costing us a goal a game, and is only playing 15 minutes a night.  The fact that you can do that for a few others does not justify Rathbone's play.  He needs to spend some time in the AHL learning how to defend, because he is not good enough offensively for that to be his only ticket.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yeah. Makar has the benefit of an elite partner. Which elevates him to the stratosphere. There are ppl that would probably take Makar over Bedard.

Anybody that knows hockey takes Makar over Bedard.  

Most people would take Makar over anybody on earth not named McDavid.  

• Cheers 1

MTL has done a really good job of turning things around in a hurry. Especially when you consider them being faced with losing Shay Weber and Carey Price. They appeared doomed, started trading players. Sure they got the first (Slafkovsky), but they're young, the forwards are fast and the D is big and nasty. And they're all buying in to the plan, under Marty St. Louis.

MTL had 11 Draft picks last year, and in 2023 they'll have 11 more. The Canucks had 6 last year and will have 6 more in 2023.  How can they keep up? Canucks keep hanging onto older players, not willing to let them go, or else they give away draft picks to get rid of players. So backwards.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I think most fans did too, they looked at the second half Bruce-bump squad with Demko stealing games and said "this is the real team...this is definitely sustainable through next year"

I mean, to expect this squad to have a top 3 winning percentage like they did down the second half stretch last year is essentially saying this is a top 3 or even top 5 team in this league. Let that sink in.  

For sure, I've been saying that for a while. Last season was a tale of two teams, but it also wasn't. I'm of the opinion that Green was stale and shouldn't have been extended, but he was also used as a scapegoat for most of what happened the first few months of the season.

Then Bruce came in, the team got a bump and Demko continued standing on his head and suddenly the team went on a lengthy winning stretch. Some folks got caught up in that and began to believe that the second half team was the real Canucks, and that the first portion of the season was a blip.

But that wasn't, and isn't the case because the truth, as it often is, was somewhere in the middle. We were both of those teams last season, we're both of those teams now. A big difference is Demko is no longer giving us Vezina caliber goaltending most nights and suddenly the inadequacies of the roster in front of him are much more apparent. 

There's a minority of folks around here who were pointing that out last season, but it was perceived as "dumping on wins". Demko covered a lot of warts. Our D core wasn't good last season either, Miller made the same boneheaded plays last season too, but they were often overlooked because we were winning and because of his production. Now that he'll be making 8M he won't be getting that kind of grace going forward, particularly if he falls off sooner than later. 

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

MTL has done a really good job of turning things around in a hurry. Especially when you consider them being faced with losing Shay Weber and Carey Price. They appeared doomed, started trading players. Sure they got the first (Slafkovsky), but they're young, the forwards are fast and the D is big and nasty. And they're all buying in to the plan, under Marty St. Louis.

MTL had 11 Draft picks last year, and in 2023 they'll have 11 more. The Canucks had 6 last year and will have 6 more in 2023.  How can they keep up? Canucks keep hanging onto older players, not willing to let them go, or else they give away draft picks to get rid of players. So backwards.  

Watch them turn things around faster than we do. Look at the trades they've made in 2022 alone, they're all in on the future.

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/canadiens

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think it's a matter of "holding" onto them.

It's a matter of as they are underachieving, they don't have a lot of value.

Doesn't help 3/4 of the teams have no cap space.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Lol wut. Bedard is the same size as Crosby. I was basically joking. I don't think any teams would take Makar over Bedard. You are over hyping Makar. 

That's like taking Erik Karrlson over Crosby 8 years ago.

I don't have a problem with Makar. I have a problem with hyped defensman. Especially when they aren't on your team. If Hughs wasn't on this team , this fanbase would think much more highly of him 

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

Rathbone situation will be like the Forsling trade. Peolpe looking at the size and not the skill.  Col won the cup with two undersize D man (one being the best offencise D man in the NHL). 

Yes but those two are offset by defensive minded partners. One of which brings phyiscality that our entire blueline combined doesn't bring. Their 3rd pair/depth players were MacDermid (6'5), Ryan Murray (6'2), Jack Johnson (6'1). They have Byram coming along too. Listed at 6'1/6'2.

Girard and Makar being the smallest players. But they're offset by Johnson, Manson, and Toews. We don't have any of those guys on our roster. We have OEL and Hughes. Half our blueline is under 6 foot. And of those above 6 foot only one belongs in our top 4. That's OEL. Myers is trash and Schenn should be a 6/7 guy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Well like Hansen said we need to sell the young guys on a rebuild.Three years of struggling ad we are anyways will pay off.

If they do not want to rebuild well then we have more picks and prospects.

As of now trading say three players will not be enough to improve the team as we would be about the same. 

Full tank and trade everyone over 25 and others that do not want to stay for it.

Last game was more then enough to show this team can't win with this group enough to win and make the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

Do these guys look like hearty handshakes and slaps on the back?

Something is broken in the heart of the whale. It's as if they've split up and are still living in the same house.

This is my distant take on it. I'm back east and can barely keep my eyes open half the time, but I caught the stink from Montreal, and it seemed like the crap they gave was in the parking lot.

• Cheers 1