The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

Just now, Coconuts said:

Took seven sims to get a top 3 pick, #3OA

Took 14 to get #1OA

don't torture yourself with that thing. Just look at the odds range and see who's available at the lowest spot. Pretty excellent odds its someone we need. 

• Tanks a lot 1

Rip off the bandaid, and go for it.  I'm looking at Tampa Bay, who would periodically underperform....during draft years that were strong.  I'm not saying it was on purpose, but I do know they'd challenge, then bomb, then challenge, then bomb, and it gave them a great many of the pieces on those alternate bombing in the standings year that made them the team they are today.  Couple that with savvy signings, and trades, and you have a powerhouse.  We need to emulate that style, where you decide whether pushing is worth it, or not, and then stay with that.  The goal is not the playoffs, the goal is to win a stanley cup.  The goal isn't to be 'competitive', it is to be great.  It starts with the goal that you put out there, and then you move towards.  Here, the goal is to be competitive, and sneak into the playoffs, where you hope you catch lightning in a bottle, like we did in 81 and 94.  Problem with that, lightning in a bottle in those situations eventually peters out.  So, be clear, be forthright, be honest, and move towards the goal you want to get to, and do the things you need to do to get there.

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's less torture than watching us play.. 

true dat.

Just blow this thing up. It will be good for everyone imo, much more of this and it will erode the fan base. People in Vancouver love the Seahawks, its not hard to think we'd start supporting the krack heads too. 

• Tanks a lot 1

47 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

First try:

image.png

… and even at that, this is the excellent consolation prize according to Button’s list (He has outperformed pretty much every other top ten list for  years).

The name sounds kind of Italian… so maybe Aquilini would be OK tanking for him :)

Big centre, amazing wheels, mature two way game with great production.  NHL comparable of Eric Lindros.  Not a bad first piece to a rebuild.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2023-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Adam-Fantilli

Edited by Provost
  • Like 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

true dat.

Just blow this thing up. It will be good for everyone imo, much more of this and it will erode the fan base. People in Vancouver love the Seahawks, its not hard to think we'd start supporting the krack heads too. 

I'm sure some might, I think a lot would stick around though. You'd just lose more of your casuals at the actual games. But there'd always be suits. 

I think it's best though, this team is a mess and there's no easy way to fix it. Easier to dismantle it. 

• Tanks a lot 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm sure some might, I think a lot would stick around though. You'd just lose more of your casuals at the actual games. But there'd always be suits. 

I think it's best though, this team is a mess and there's no easy way to fix it. Easier to dismantle it. 

I can assure you that companies buying luxury boxes don’t want to spend money to see losing teams.

For most of them those boxes are investments where they make big sales to customers or reward employees.  You want it to be a positive and happy environment, not a gloomy one.

• There it is 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I can assure you that companies buying luxury boxes don’t want to spend money to see losing teams.

For most of them those boxes are investments where they make big sales to customers or reward employees.  You want it to be a positive and happy environment, not a gloomy one.

All the better, if anything will get Aqua's attention it's dropping revenue. Band-aids ain't gonna fix this team. 

• Tanks a lot 1

4 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

At this point trade almost everyone, for me its the following

Miller, Garland, Boeser, Pearson, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Studnicka // OEL, Myers, Stillman, Bear

Horvat is tradeable, but you have to keep him at this point based on what he has done and as a 2c option - if we get Bedard then we can reevaluate 

• Tanks a lot 1

Just now, PunjabiCanucks said:

Horvat is tradeable, but you have to keep him at this point based on what he has done and as a 2c option - if we get Bedard then we can reevaluate 

After Bo gets his next contract, which is going to be big, his value might be less.  

• Tanks a lot 1

11 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Same thing said about JTM.

imho, the time to cash in on our assets is now and create options for our future. 
we have had arguably the top 2 UFA rental trade pieces this year and last year. We should have already capitalized on the JTM situation. No sense in repeating it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Tanks a lot 1