The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Someone's got to. And even if we don't, which is the statistical probability, that top five is supposed to be loaded. 

The higher we draft the better our chance at snagging a franchise forward. 

the top 10 is loaded.........with C's especially.  It's a good year to sh!t the bed

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

the top 10 is loaded.........with C's especially.  It's a good year to sh!t the bed

And the latter half of the first round and 2nd round are full of D that are really good bets so it is also a good year to get some extra picks from contenders who aren’t going to be worried about missing out on Bedard with their late picks.

We could load the system with Centres and Defence over the next couple years.  That gives you probably 5+ years of cheap ELCs coming onboard as guys develop at different paces.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

Ilove Demko, but I am finding myself warming up to moving him if this season is gone and if management shows they are shaking things up in a significant way.  Looking at teams who might need a goalie, Carolina seems like the obvious destination.........what would be an acceptable return on a Demko?

Necas

Andersen

1st

does that make it worthwhile for Van? For Carolina?  For fans?

• Tanks a lot 1

7 minutes ago, awalk said:

It ever there was a year to tank, this is a good one. 

This year is so deep. Getting more picks should be our first priority. But even long term, more local guys like Celebrini are slated to go top of the draft in 24. A very real chance we could grab some elite hometown talent if we start the rebuild now.

• Cheers 3
  • Tanks a lot 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why would Bo sign onto a rebuilding team?  He has spent his entire career losing and is old enough that a rebuild means he probably misses the playoffs for almost the rest of his career.

There are lots of players who spend a long time on bad teams. Why did RNH stick around in Edmonton ? Why did Mcdavid report to Edmonton ? 

Vancouver has its perks. I think if switching teams in this league was more common , it would work in our favor most of the time 

• Tanks a lot 1

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm sure some might, I think a lot would stick around though. You'd just lose more of your casuals at the actual games. But there'd always be suits. 

I think it's best though, this team is a mess and there's no easy way to fix it. Easier to dismantle it. 

I've actually noticed a decline in "suits" over the last 10 years going to games. They show up when ticket prices are insane and want to be seen during a run.

Dunno man, this whole 'this. city won't support a rebuild" thing is bull crap imo. We're still showing up to games after the last decade we've had.

What I think the fan base is tired of isn't losing, its losing for nothing. There's no better team at the end of all the pain. Thats why I'm pro-nuke, of course its no guarantee but imagine if we did end up with an actual elite RHD and top C. 

• Cheers 3
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Why would Bo sign onto a rebuilding team?  He has spent his entire career losing and is old enough that a rebuild means he probably misses the playoffs for almost the rest of his career.

unless he really loves it here and wants to see it though, I don't know why he would? I suppose he may not want to live in the US and that limits his options. 

• Tanks a lot 1

15 hours ago, goalie13 said:

It amazes me that people think the Canucks would actually win the draft lottery.

Wouldn't Miller be a great addin for a trade  for the first if we ended in the top 3? I mean miller gets a bad team scoring and they'd still get a pick. Canucks would bet the house on bedard but why not.

• Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Because they trade Miller, make Bo the #1 leader, and accumulate assets to turn the ship around. Trading dead weight doesn't mean we take too much of a step back. One small step back for Bo, one giant leap for Nuck Nation.

• Tanks a lot 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

Because they trade Miller, make Bo the #1 leader, and accumulate assets to turn the ship around. Trading dead weight doesn't mean we take too much of a step back. One small step back for Bo, one giant leap for Nuck Nation.

He’s been here nearly a decade and has made the playoffs twice. He’s having a career year and is lining himself up to get paid. He would be an idiot if he chose to re sign here for the rest of his prime years. 

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

He’s been here nearly a decade and has made the playoffs twice. He’s having a career year and is lining himself up to get paid. He would be an idiot if he chose to re sign here for the rest of his prime years. 

K, but you did read who I said to trade, ya? Dead weight lightens the team, not the other way around. 

• Tanks a lot 1