The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

9 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Trade Miller, Myers, Pearson, and Hogs for whatever you can get, sign Bo, tank as hard as you can.

Why hogs?  He's a young, hard working player who would be part of the future and you're not going to get much for him at this point

• Cheers 3
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

K, but you did read who I said to trade, ya? Dead weight lightens the team, not the other way around. 

It’s harder to trade deadweight than a UFA having a career year or players who actually have value. Plus, as far as I know you tend to get better assets and not have to add sweeteners. It’s time for fans to accept the fact that in order for this team to take even a small step forward they are going to have to trade players they might not want to see gone because this cycle of failure with the same group of players is never going to end. 

Edited by Pickly
  • Like 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

11 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

This year is so deep. Getting more picks should be our first priority. But even long term, more local guys like Celebrini are slated to go top of the draft in 24. A very real chance we could grab some elite hometown talent if we start the rebuild now.

Hell ya. And it's only going to get more difficult to build a team via trade and free agency. Draft is the way.

• Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why hogs?  He's a young, hard working player who would be part of the future and you're not going to get much for him at this point

He just looks out of his depth, and I don't see him progressing into what we need him to become. Freeing him up means opening up a spot for someone else.

10 minutes ago, Pickly said:

It’s harder to trade deadweight than a UFA having a career year or players who actually have value. Plus, as far as I know you tend to get better assets and not have to add sweeteners. It’s time for fans to accept the fact that in order for this team to take even a small step forward they are going to have to trade players they might not want to see gone because this cycle of failure with the same group of players is never going to end. 

Sure, unless we just accept that we won't get full value for some guys while keeping in mind that freeing up cap space can be looked at as a huge asset for getting rid of some guys, rather than trading away the players that actually help our team now and in the future. 

• Tanks a lot 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

The OP was before the Boston game... to show how short the runway is for making the playoffs, even this early on in the season a loss makes a big difference to the odds.  At this extreme of being bad, winning a game doesn't increase our odds that dramatically to offset that.

We are currently in 30th place in the standings by winning percentage, with Columbus being two points behind with two games in hand.  The Ducks with one game in hand and two points behind.

Shockingly bad when you consider we have four players right at about the PPG scoring rate.

Before Boston Game:
MoneyPuck 8.5%
Playoff Status 21%
Hockey Reference 16.5%
Power Rankings 19.1%
Five Thirty Eight 24%

After Boston game:
Moneypuck 8.2%
Playoff Status 18.5 (tied for dead last in NHL)
Hockey Reference 12.2%
Power Rankings 16.2%
Five Thirty Eight 20%

We would have to out lose Ducks pretty badly 

• Tanks a lot 1

17 hours ago, Provost said:

I don't actually think we would (hence the link I included).  A top 5 pick is still more than likely to turn into a top of the lineup player.  A couple more mid or later 1st round picks from sending out players would also likely be decent NHLers at the very least.

Just the centres:
Bedard, Fantelli, Leo Carlsson, Yager, Benson, Dvorsky, Stenberg, Ritchie

There are a ton of D ranked in the mid/late 1st round who would immediately be our best prospects in that position.

If they actually followed the player profile that JR talks about (big and fast), then you can actually draft to that identity.

Just on a side note... with the draft being loaded, could it be difficult to get first round picks in trades this season?

• Tanks a lot 1

Literally every roster player should be available, including Pettersson.  We will have a tough time keeping him here if we are doing a full rebuild; he will likely sign his QO and put us in a bind.  Moving him now gets us a better return.  I love the guy but I'd rather avoid what happened in Cahlgary this offseason.

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just on a side note... with the draft being loaded, could it be difficult to get first round picks in trades this season?

Probably not... contending teams aren't going to care a lot about a late 1st round pick that isn't going to be NHL ready for 2-4 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

13 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

This year is so deep. Getting more picks should be our first priority. But even long term, more local guys like Celebrini are slated to go top of the draft in 24. A very real chance we could grab some elite hometown talent if we start the rebuild now.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to get some top local boys after the JV fiasco....

• Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

The OP was before the Boston game... to show how short the runway is for making the playoffs, even this early on in the season a loss makes a big difference to the odds.  At this extreme of being bad, winning a game doesn't increase our odds that dramatically to offset that.

We are currently in 30th place in the standings by winning percentage, with Columbus being two points behind with two games in hand.  The Ducks with one game in hand and two points behind.

Shockingly bad when you consider we have four players right at about the PPG scoring rate.

Before Boston Game:
MoneyPuck 8.5%
Playoff Status 21%
Hockey Reference 16.5%
Power Rankings 19.1%
Five Thirty Eight 24%

After Boston game:
Moneypuck 8.2%
Playoff Status 18.5 (tied for dead last in NHL)
Hockey Reference 12.2%
Power Rankings 16.2%
Five Thirty Eight 20%

If this is how the bookies see it sell sell sell.... Never bet against the bookies...

• Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

He just looks out of his depth, and I don't see him progressing into what we need him to become. Freeing him up means opening up a spot for someone else.

Sure, unless we just accept that we won't get full value for some guys while keeping in mind that freeing up cap space can be looked at as a huge asset for getting rid of some guys, rather than trading away the players that actually help our team now and in the future. 

I thought he was the best fwd last night

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

19 hours ago, Fanuck said:

The problem is this is how FA sees things:

Sjsu Theres A Chance GIF by San Jose State Spartans

This. This is why part of me hopes those allegations against him are true for the sake of the team and he’s forced to sell. We’re gonna continue being in the same situation until this money hungry prick is gone. 

• Tanks a lot 1

Thought I'd throw this in here since it's relevant to this discussion.

For us to get to 99 points, which would almost guarantee we made the playoffs (the bar is probably a few points lower than this), we would need a .667 point percentage for the remainder of the year. The odds of us doing so well are indeed exceedingly low. Even a very hot finish like we did last year wouldn't be enough.

I'm not on board for our players to give up, but something seems broken, so I would be okay if management made some decision--whether that's dealing with coaching or making trades.

• Tanks a lot 1