The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

Lol, was there any doubt these guys were going to Canuck their way to torpedoing their draft lottery odds? This was pretty much the most Canuck season ever.

We do have a great goalie. A great number one D. A great number one C. A great number 2 C. That elite core is too good to be as bad as some fans would like. With a properly retooled supporting cast this is an excellent club. 

• Like 1

It pains me that we are not going to get Bedard, a local boy who grew up watching the Canucks. Still hoping for a miracle like how I feel every time when I check my lottery ticket lol.

Looking at the other 11 lottery teams, I'd much prefer to see a team who isn't intentionally tanking this year to get first overall. I'd be okay with Montreal, Columbus, Washington landing Bedard. I would be okay with Philly too but I remember they already won before and it was a big jump (they drafted Nolan Patrick 2nd overall with that pick). There's a few teams that I really don't want to see Bedard gets drafted to, especially Chicago. They got their 3 cups. Their franchise deserves to suffer with how they handled the Kyle Beach situation which now seems to have been forgotten already...

What are the chances that he might choose to get to UFA status as early as possible and sign with us? But if he's truly a generational player, whoever gets him will ensure to lock him up after his ELC so earliest is when he's 30? I guess it depends on whether they'll shorten the contract length in the next CBA. 

What a shit sandwich of a season yet again.

I even stopped being angry and just apathetic instead.  Once they didn’t offload players at the deadline and added instead, it was a complete write off.  I rarely followed games or even the results.

The only likely path to being a contender in the foreseeable future was to draft one of those top three centres (obviously ideally Bedard), and then trade Miller to use that cap soace for a high end top 4D.

Barring a miracle, we will just end up drafting some player who will at best become a middle six forward.  The least valuable position out there.  Guys like Beauvillier/Garland/Mikheyev… they are easily obtainable in the market for nothing.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Yeah this season was about as big of a fail as it could’ve been. It will be interesting to see what number gets the 1st overall pick. It was never realistic for us to finish bottom 5 without offloading EP40 & QH, so if one of those teams gets it, it wouldn’t have mattered. I know Fantilli is a great consolation prize but I personally only cared for Bedard.

My gut tells me Arizona is going to win the lottery. I initially wanted them to win because I figured he wouldn’t want to stick around with them long term (what player would want too), but having travelled to Arizona a lot of the past few years, it’s a great place to live, and they do have some top tier prospects on their way in too (Logan Cooley). Which lottery team has the worst 7 year outlook? Haha

• Like 1

That winning streak was such self sabotage. Add losing a 2nd rounder for nothing and I see common sense fly out the window. 

Thank goodness for Kuz and avoiding the Bo contract. 

Tocc not giving Kuz a chance for 40 was so bush and was much similar to Sutter letting Ritchie take that shootout. 

I hope the Sedin's step in and protect Kuz from Tocc. Tocc is good at coaching the bottom 6 and the north south grinding game he should focus on that. Not mind games with our star players. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We do have a great goalie. A great number one D. A great number one C. A great number 2 C. That elite core is too good to be as bad as some fans would like. With a properly retooled supporting cast this is an excellent club. 

But wouldn’t it be great to have a Dahlin and Power duo on D? I know there are no D in this draft expected to be of their calibre, but some higher picks would be great.

59 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

Yeah this season was about as big of a fail as it could’ve been. It will be interesting to see what number gets the 1st overall pick. It was never realistic for us to finish bottom 5 without offloading EP40 & QH, so if one of those teams gets it, it wouldn’t have mattered. I know Fantilli is a great consolation prize but I personally only cared for Bedard.

My gut tells me Arizona is going to win the lottery. I initially wanted them to win because I figured he wouldn’t want to stick around with them long term (what player would want too), but having travelled to Arizona a lot of the past few years, it’s a great place to live, and they do have some top tier prospects on their way in too (Logan Cooley). Which lottery team has the worst 7 year outlook? Haha

Playing Hughes only 20 minutes a game would have probably lost us an extra 5 games on its own.  Moving out Miller for futures would have also likely cemented it.  We were as low as 3rd worst in the league and only a couple games above the absolute basement at times.  If you look at our games results, we didn't blow out many games.  They were one goal or OT points.

18 of our 33 games since the start of February were one goal... 11 of them were OT games.  Take away a little over half those extra points we got and we are around Montreal for 5th.

The line between winning and losing is so fine in most games, you substitute Hughes for whatever AHL player we had for 4 shifts in a game and we lose a bunch more games.  You give Demko a little more recovery from his injury or give him a conditioning stint in the AHL and we lose several more games.  You don't hire Tocchet and miss the coaching bump and we lose more games.

Players and coaches don't try to tank or lose.  Organizations do all the time, including all the teams around and below us.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Yeah i'm kinda gutted that after another terrible season of on-ice disappointment and other drama we have literally nothing to show for it - other than 'building a winning culture' that has been pitched for the last 10 year and has won us absolutely dick all - in fact I've never seen a more fragile team. 

Let's face it there is zero chance we move up - even given our statistical history of moving down - so no point even setting yourself up for disappointment there

I'd be happier drafting 11th if this organization has shown it could draft worth a dam but in all honesty their history with the draft during a rebuild is completely terrible and I can only envision us drafting another underweight, 1 dimensional bust noodle who gets mono at the draft and then gets injured for most the season... the sad thing is that isn't even a direct slur on last years 1st round pick either you can take your pick from the last 10 years almost. A top 5 pick this year would have been pretty hard to miss on given the draft class - likely now our best option is to trade the bloody thing.

I mean I'm not completely down on the future of the team given the performance of the core in the second half of this year. But compared to what every other team around us did this feels like a huge opportunity missed while the high talent in the draft will likely go to strengthening one of our rivals over the next few years that executed a better long term strategy. 

Also I don't really wanna hear the - Oh we'd never get a high pick with QH, EP etc - look at the Av's drafting Makar ahead of us that year with Mac ,Rants, Landeskog etc lol - And they now have a cup to show for it. Long term strategy builds winning organizations !

I hope everyone that was not on team tank is happy now that the dust has settled, and the season is over. Not only we screwed our lottery chances as much as was possible, we probably won't even get Reinbacher now at 11th pick....

Watch Detroit get him at 9OA, while we barely beat bottom feeders Ana & Ari in our last two games to move in to 11th :picard:

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That winning streak was such self sabotage. Add losing a 2nd rounder for nothing and I see common sense fly out the window. 

Thank goodness for Kuz and avoiding the Bo contract. 

Tocc not giving Kuz a chance for 40 was so bush and was much similar to Sutter letting Ritchie take that shootout. 

I hope the Sedin's step in and protect Kuz from Tocc. Tocc is good at coaching the bottom 6 and the north south grinding game he should focus on that. Not mind games with our star players. 

I am slightly concerned about Tocchet tough love towards Kuz... Him and EP worked like hand and glove, so to see him demoted to 3rd line duties, with the lack of offensive opportunities is hmmmm...... In saying that, if Kuz becomes a better all round player because of it, it will have been worth while, but the last Russian, that was being 'modelled' by a coach left a big hole, when he had enough... I just did see Kuz light up the sky with his smile these last couple of games... 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I am slightly concerned about Tocchet tough love towards Kuz... Him and EP worked like hand and glove, so to see him demoted to 3rd line duties, with the lack of offensive opportunities is hmmmm...... In saying that, if Kuz becomes a better all round player because of it, it will have been worth while, but the last Russian, that was being 'modelled' by a coach left a big hole, when he had enough... I just did see Kuz light up the sky with his smile these last couple of games... 

I'd be more concerned if it was November. RT says he has talked with Kuz and Kuz says he understands. Gonchar has also probably talked to him. Podz was having d-side issues under Green-Boudreau and spent time in Abby. Served him well. Kuz is older but his pro experience is the KHL which is noted for d-side light. RT is trying to build a serious playoff team. He cannot coach by committee or popular vote. If his style of coaching is going to be a problem then Allvin will have to deal with it. It appears to me that Allvin is on board with RT, after all he hired him. A summer of training in Van with RT there will cement that relationship. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I hope everyone that was not on team tank is happy now that the dust has settled, and the season is over. Not only we screwed our lottery chances as much as was possible, we probably won't even get Reinbacher now at 11th pick....

Watch Detroit get him at 9OA, while we barely beat bottom feeders Ana & Ari in our last two games to move in to 11th :picard:

Nope the tank doesn't mean anything? Ya right. The higher Van climbed to #11 the more disappointed I became. Drafting #5 left so many options to Allvin. Now gone. For what? Canucks might luck out and drop down with the lottery. Maybe Allvin pulls a trade for more picks. What is truly galling are the teams that have been tanking since January. Many should pat Allvin on the back as they climb to the stage on draft day.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I'd be more concerned if it was November. RT says he has talked with Kuz and Kuz says he understands. Gonchar has also probably talked to him. Podz was having d-side issues under Green-Boudreau and spent time in Abby. Served him well. Kuz is older but his pro experience is the KHL which is noted for d-side light. RT is trying to build a serious playoff team. He cannot coach by committee or popular vote. If his style of coaching is going to be a problem then Allvin will have to deal with it. It appears to me that Allvin is on board with RT, after all he hired him. A summer of training in Van with RT there will cement that relationship. 

No thats a fair take. In the end as long as Tocchet is the coach, he set the way forward and as long as Allvin is happy, with what he sees, that's the way it should be. 
Still... don't want to see Kuz vanish because of a vanity project. At 26 years of age, its slightly harder to change your habits then at 19...

We'll see next year... Kuz was one of the highlights this year... in particular his smile and antics. 

• Like 1

Wow we actually almost missed the lottery for #1 pick... Our chances for #1 + #2 draft pick used to be over 10% just 2 weeks ago, now it's down to 6.6%. Not sure what I want to say.. But this last burst of wins against crappy tanking Western teams is just meh... 

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Nope the tank doesn't mean anything? Ya right. The higher Van climbed to #11 the more disappointed I became. Drafting #5 left so many options to Allvin. Now gone. For what? Canucks might luck out and drop down with the lottery. Maybe Allvin pulls a trade for more picks. What is truly galling are the teams that have been tanking since January. Many should pat Allvin on the back as they climb to the stage on draft day.  

Yes, it's appalling for sure. I recall at one point before the run started (I posted about it at the time) that we were only 3, THREE! points out of 3rd last....I was so hopeful, and teams like STL and WSH weren't even in the conversation they were so far ahead of us in the standings....even DET, PHI, and MTL were out of the Bedard sweepstakes. 

We could've been around where MTL is at 5OA, and we had our 1st pick plus NYI's, as well as other picks/players that could've been used to trade up and get us in on Bedard, or in the very least the top 3.

That would be fitting to hear other GM's thank PA lolol....."We would like to thank Patrik Allvin and the rest of the shortsighted staff in Vancouver, for helping us along in our quest for a top pick. With our pick, we are proud to select Connor Bedard".

• Like 1