The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] November 15 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres - 4:00pm PT/7:00pm ET - KeyBank Centre

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

56 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I see rumours about the Canucks looking at hiring Tocchett. To me that just shows even more that there is no plan.

There will be much better coaches available in the offseason. Hiring a coach now as a long term solution based on who’s available is not a winning strategy. Neither is simply hiring people you’ve worked with before.

I really hope they just ride it out with Bruce or promote Yeo as interim and really lean into the tank. 

Tochett is a solid coach, would certainly cure the effort issues we’re seeing. Not sure how Tochett being considered equates to no plan? 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Tochett is a solid coach, would certainly cure the effort issues we’re seeing. Not sure how Tochett being considered equates to no plan? 

agree, considering tochett is a plan.

If they are going to decide to go with a new coach to save this season they better do it fast, I am sure JR has known all along who he wants to coach this team. so its not like the process would start now.

this group is massively underachieving yet they have done this before, who knows what to do...

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Tocchett and OEL had a poor relationship in Arizona did they not? His play went down him when he was coach, especially offensively. That said, OEL isn't producing offensive here so...

I heard someone mention John Stevens, is he on a coaching staff somewhere? 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Firing the coach last season was the right move. Firing Bruce is ridiculous. Let him play out his contract and hold the players accountable each and every game. What a clown show. 

As much as I agree it’s pretty obvious Bruce isn’t Rutherford’s choice as coach. More shit or get off the pot for Rutherford to move on and let Bruce go with dignity. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

As much as I agree it’s pretty obvious Bruce isn’t Rutherford’s choice as coach. More shit or get off the pot for Rutherford to move on and let Bruce go with dignity. 

Right. Bruce does seem checked out, he talked about the Canucks getting better though which only makes sense in that they managed to win a game vs winning none.

This team is just off. Moving the coaches and moving the players for a rebuild is the best way.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Tocchett and OEL had a poor relationship in Arizona did they not? His play went down him when he was coach, especially offensively. That said, OEL isn't producing offensive here so...

I heard someone mention John Stevens, is he on a coaching staff somewhere? 

Secret plan to get OEL to waive his NMC? :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 3

Rick Tocchet is certainly more of a defensive minded coach, I wouldn’t mind him as an option next year. He’d have this team playing tougher for sure. 

Has a cup to his name as well. He’ll have this team screwed on straight.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Right. Bruce does seem checked out, he talked about the Canucks getting better though which only makes sense in that they managed to win a game vs winning none.

This team is just off. Moving the coaches and moving the players for a rebuild is the best way.

Poor Bruce, he doesn’t deserve any of this. These so called players on our team don’t play with any heart and soul (aside from Schenn and Burroughs) coupled with a poorly run franchise and a questionable management group led by a whack job. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The coach, the coach, the coach!

Green has already been fired!

All this coach stuff, are posters in denial or something?

What will changing the coach accomplish? Another new whipping boy to blame?

Some guy to irritate players more? 

A sudden reversal of play? Horvat Petersson and Miller are already playing at least as good as last year ditto Hughes.

A new coach going to whip Demko into shape or cause him more loss of confidence.

IT IS NOT THE COACH!

All this coach talk is just false hope and denial being expressed, only a very naïve kid would be fooled into thinking it would change anything. There have been 6 coaches with this group the last year and a bit. No difference.

There are no more players for any coach to try to put together and the same core player's as the last 4 years are having the same results as the last 4 years, isn't that just a hint of the root problem?

At this point the team would need to win more than 2 out of 3 games the rest of the season to make the last WC spot. If the second best of all time regular season coach can't make a team do that how can another less experienced guy do it?

Alvin has to change what any coach has to pick from, Alvin has to change the room, Alvin has to create hope for the PLAYERS.

ALVIN not Rutherford. Alvin is the GM not Rutherford. If Rutherford makes changes it starts with Alvin, he can say anything he wants but it is Alvin that runs the team and is making decisions now. If Rutherford undermines Alvin then Alvin's days are done.

ALVIN! And the group of players are the issue. Alvin should get a bit of a break for awhile yet until the TDL at least and draft at the most to see if he can repair this group of broken parts.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Muttley said:

So Yeo goes behind the bench as the head coach and Alvin has the green light to move the best players out for a rebuild? Yikes. I'm not convinced we have the 

best brass to do it......

Yeo will absolutely drag us to the bottom or 2nd last which is where we need to be lottery-wise - not intentionally he just sucks. You are probably right about the trading side though, i mean miller for a high draft pick or great d prospect should be easy, and others can be moved for more picks but would these guys do the right thing and will they even pick the right player. Oh damn it's only year one for these GM/prez combination.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
damn
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Does anyone seriously think this is a coaching issue? I didn't hear much criticism of Boudreau last spring. Canucks have 1 d-man playing top 4 quality and he has d-zone issues. #6 isn't playing like a top six forward and yet he is on the 1PP. 2 Russians Mic and Koz are struggling. 2 trades: Stillman is a wash. Studnicka looks like a keeper and then gets hurt. Keep the 26 year olds and younger (except Boeser) and move the rest out. Blow it up. Decide the type of game you want to play and if BB doesn't want to coach that way let him go. I'd keep him. Strip it down!    

Jb had to keep the team together because sedin reasons. Sedins left ,have to keep team together for playoff revenue reasons      playoff revenue ? if that’s still the underlying reason/excuse. Then jr pa jb Gillis. Whomever it is doesn’t matter when there’s a stubborn Italian owner transfixed with a very very very VERY slim chance at revenue from a 2 home game playoff appearance. We’re hooped. 

• Like 1

Bruce knows what's up. His team is 4-9-3 to start the season, where they said not making the playoffs would be a disaster. They're not out of it yet, but I'm not sure what they're expecting from this group to change (namely the D and goaltending).  A coaching change may be needed at some point, but I'm not sure how bringing in a new coach will suddenly make the D better.

Myers and OEL are old, they have big contracts, and they both kind of suck. The Canucks are stuck with these guys unless they trade one of them with Podkolzin or Lekkerimaki. I don't think other teams are interested in Nils "Snakebit" Hoglander or former 4th rounder Lil Jackie Rathbone.