The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

It is going to take some patience and time before realistically Canada had a real shot of winning WC games but 2026 is what we are building towards. Lots of promise, but they have to keep working. This was a tough group, one if the more difficult ones at this tournament. The goal should be to qualify for the WC every time and being a regular appearance amongst the world's best. Once you do that the results will eventually come.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, van_ws said:

It is going to take some patience and time before realistically Canada had a real shot of winning WC games but 2026 is what we are building towards. Lots of promise, but they have to keep working. This was a tough group, one if the more difficult ones at this tournament. The goal should be to qualify for the WC every time and being a regular appearance amongst the world's best. Once you do that the results will eventually come.

Can still try to win the next game. 

• Cheers 3

Good effort by the lads.

Croatia full marks for the win

Looking back, it seems like Belguim are not at the top of their game for whatever reason, and that was a game we could have had a result.  Just couldn't finish.

Ah well, the future looks bright for Canadian soccer, and future WC qualifying.

Upset about the result for canada today but not throughly disappointed. Never thought they'd make it out of the group stage. I'm proud at their effort. Battled hard. Hopefully this is just the start of great things for soccer Canada! Win the final game and build for '26!

On a side note, does anyone know why canada likes to wear black? 

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Bah.  I blame the coach for making such a stupid comment after they lost to Belgium.  He gave Croatia more fuel then they needed.

Maybe wouldn't matter at all in the outcome, except Croatia piled it on to embrass them. 

The Canadian coach is a men's WC rookie too.  Should have just be more Canadian than British and gave a humble answer to the press.  Or maybe he did it to take the media off Alfonso for missing the PK.  

Almost like the Luongo tire pumping comment in 2011.  No need to add more pressure. 

54 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Good effort by the lads.

Croatia full marks for the win

Looking back, it seems like Belguim are not at the top of their game for whatever reason, and that was a game we could have had a result.  Just couldn't finish.

Ah well, the future looks bright for Canadian soccer, and future WC qualifying.

Yes, our Women’s team will be in lots more World Cups.  If we host then our men should get in.  Otherwise our chances will be slim.  It was a lot of fun though watching our guys get in.  They just didn’t play as good in these two games as they did in qualifying.  We should have shipped them a few truckloads of snow for the sideline.  

• Haha 1

I’m a little worried about 2026 in all honesty. We have good young defenders coming up but I’m not convinced we’ll be able to replace Borjan in net, although he NEEDED to organize his back line better. Defensive structure is all on the goalkeeper and we weren’t good enough today with that. 

Max Anchor (18 year old Canada U21 keeper) is someone I’ve seen play in person many times and he’s a bright young player coming up through the Whitecaps residency, but I don’t think he’ll be the next great Canadian netminder that scares other teams. We need someone to break through like Phonsie did.