The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly, there are a lot of people spending hopeful cash they haven't received yet. Especially seeing as how the cap hasn't risen in 4 years now. Even if it does I'm amazed at how people think it fixes our situation somehow. It just means we can sell one less player to ride right up against the cap yet again.

I don't disagree but they should be able to bring a little balance to the roster through trades and they can balance more when some of jbs contracts expire and they can redistrube $ a little better.  We should all expect them to still be somewhat close to the cap though, I don't see a whole lot of "relief" ahead, just a redistribution 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

I've seen a good number of posts saying that the cap will go up about $4 mill.

Good news, but imo the problems with this team are not close to being solved with just that extra amount.- if it happens.

Need a number two center- if Bo goes

need a number 3 center if Bo stays

need a number 3 center if Bo goes

need a top 4 right d man- immediately

need another if Myers goes

need a couple of big and reasonably talented wingers, who will bang and crash-plus scrap if required

Need a couple more D man that can throw hits as well

$4 mill Will help, but not all that much.

Myers and Horvat cap out frees up some replacement cost.   Moving Brock or Garland helps a lot.    It's not so dire, as long as that money isn't blown.   Trading Pearson helps some too.   

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree but they should be able to bring a little balance to the roster through trades and they can balance more when some of jbs contracts expire and they can redistrube $ a little better.  We should all expect them to still be somewhat close to the cap though, I don't see a whole lot of "relief" ahead, just a redistribution 

Yeah, they hope to catch fire in a bottle but will not get much if any better. The reality is Myers $6 mil off the cap will be the first real opportunity to change the team's fortune's. If they haven't done any big self inflicted damage in the meantime.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Myers and Horvat cap out frees up some replacement cost.   Moving Brock or Garland helps a lot.    It's not so dire, as long as that money isn't blown.   Trading Pearson helps some too.   

You're assuming they're going to be cap dumps, which is unlikely

7 hours ago, Canadian said:

That third line though...

5'9" Hoglander - 5'9" Dries - 5'10" Garland.....

Garland = 5'10"??? Haha no way. I think it's much worse than you say. Maybe 5'10" is his listed height but he is quite a bit shorter than Dries. He's more like 5'7" I'd say...

image.png.3912928582eb034d848bc7e762a16999.png

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Muttley said:

Is it not all right to get and be down on a team that we all know can play better? WTH does covid crusaders mean? The team can play waaaaaaaaaaaaaay bertter

and you know that. I guess I'll get another rough game from you know, mm?

It is all right; you can get as far down as you like; and I can also brown bag your posts as often as I like.

Everybody can have their FreeDumbs; its in the Darwinian Manifesto.

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Garland = 5'10"??? Haha no way. I think it's much worse than you say. Maybe 5'10" is his listed height but he is quite a bit shorter than Dries. He's more like 5'7" I'd say...

image.png.3912928582eb034d848bc7e762a16999.png

Our balance is off when we have ttoo many of the exact same type of energy guys. Choose between Hogs and Dries. Tell AQ to try DiGuseppe, and free pizza when he is a score! 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

You're assuming they're going to be cap dumps, which is unlikely

I don't assume anything.   Already stated, moving Brock isn't much different than Florida trading for Rhino, aside from the extra years.   Some teams might like that ... and yes it might require we retain a little.    Funny thing, when guys are playing above they pay grade or matching it at least,  then we don't want to trade them.   Garland last season for example.   Brock goes out and scores a couple again a couple times (Geoff Courtnall was also streaky), and then no let's keep him lol.    

The point was, if we don't re-sign Horvat, that does free up cash.    Myers at 2 million retained is a fair swap too.   That also frees up cash.    Not ideal.    

For me at least the team needs to pick a lane and then focus on that.    There is a way to rip it all up.   Horvat for futures.   Retain on him like PHI did on Giroux.  No cap back.    Retain 50% on Myers, opens a lot of doors.   Retain 2 million on Brock the same thing.   Trade Demko as well.   And rebuild with Miller and OEL ... it's not the end of the world to have two vet anchors, COL did that.   And try really hard to be the worst team this season and next.   Trade Kuzmenko.   

OR

Sign Horvat.   And deal with it over the rest of this season and next off-season.   And try spend some futures like COL did.    No more half measures.   Another first for a Miller on D.   And a couple seconds for a Devon Toews.   Still need to move Brock or Garland to make that work.  And probably Myers.   

14 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

I really don't like this 4 mil argument for addressing our cap issues. It's not like we alone receive 4 million, everyone does.

I'm 5'9. If I magically grow half a foot I'd be above average in height. But if the entire world grows that 6 iches, I'm still completely average. 

Sure the league gets that.  But so do we and it is factored into future plans.   This team needs to re-work their D.   And pick a lane.   Not much point in doubling down without going that extra mile with Horvat for example.    To me we need to pick one and stick to it.    Kuzmo, Horvat, Myers and Pearson are trade chips this TDL depending on what we decide to do with retention.    Personally i'm ok with either tearing it down to the studs, or finishing up the work so far.   Nothing inbetween.   No new coats of paint.    Has to be one lane or the other. 

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I don't assume anything.   Already stated, moving Brock isn't much different than Florida trading for Rhino, aside from the extra years.   Some teams might like that ... and yes it might require we retain a little.    Funny thing, when guys are playing above they pay grade or matching it at least,  then we don't want to trade them.   Garland last season for example.   Brock goes out and scores a couple again a couple times (Geoff Courtnall was also streaky), and then no let's keep him lol.    

The point was, if we don't re-sign Horvat, that does free up cash.    Myers at 2 million retained is a fair swap too.   That also frees up cash.    Not ideal.    

For me at least the team needs to pick a lane and then focus on that.    There is a way to rip it all up.   Horvat for futures.   Retain on him like PHI did on Giroux.  No cap back.    Retain 50% on Myers, opens a lot of doors.   Retain 2 million on Brock the same thing.   Trade Demko as well.   And rebuild with Miller and OEL ... it's not the end of the world to have two vet anchors, COL did that.   And try really hard to be the worst team this season and next.   Trade Kuzmenko.   

OR

Sign Horvat.   And deal with it over the rest of this season and next off-season.   And try spend some futures like COL did.    No more half measures.   Another first for a Miller on D.   And a couple seconds for a Devon Toews.   Still need to move Brock or Garland to make that work.  And probably Myers.   

Its obvious Bb6 is being showcased for a trade, but its obvious to any gm watching that he doesnt do much except tap or deflect in a few lucky ones here and there

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Its obvious Bb6 is being showcased for a trade, but its obvious to any gm watching that he doesnt do much except tap or deflect in a few lucky ones here and there

Brock is playing on the 3rd line and Kuzmo on the first PP unit.  That's not showcasing. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not directed at you really but I'm getting so so very tired of hearing this now. For 5+ years now posters keep saying we can just move this guy, move that guy, sign that guy and voila ... top team, problems solved. Yet every year it's more of the same. Fringe moves, up against the cap, no problems fixed, and failure. 

It's not as easy to make all these moves people want, and less chance management actually does that. For this reason I just want to start making smart moves for the future instead of always just spending recklessly (Miller) to ensure we have a mediocre team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not directed at you really but I'm getting so so very tired of hearing this now. For 5+ years now posters keep saying we can just move this guy, move that guy, sign that guy and voila ... top team, problems solved. Yet every year it's more of the same. Fringe moves, up against the cap, no problems fixed, and failure. 

It's not as easy to make all these moves people want, and less chance management actually does that. For this reason I just want to start making smart moves for the future instead of always just spending recklessly (Miller) to ensure we have a mediocre team.

I know we share the same frustration that a pretty easy solution was right in front of them and not only did they not grab it, they actually made the situation worse 

I do think they've made some good moves, but nothing that tilts the balance the other way.  I don't have much faith that this group can capably right the ship

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1