The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo to be inducted into Canucks Ring of Honour

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be ok with Kes going up there too, but I don't think it will ever happen.

The feeling of betrayal with the way he left has washed away, at least for me.

It'd be good to see Kes go up to the ring of honour. By the time he was done in Vancouver, his body had torn down to shreds.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, jyu said:

The feeling of betrayal with the way he left has washed away, at least for me.

It'd be good to see Kes go up to the ring of honour. By the time he was done in Vancouver, his body had torn down to shreds.

I don’t find it betrayal it’s just the business of hockey. He was looking after his future… there is only a few years of playing hockkey do that.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I love Captain Kirk, but Luongo is probably a legitimate top 10 goalie all-time, while McLean doesn’t even crack the top 50. 

The Sabres have 6 players’ number retired, with zero Cups.

We are talking about with the Canucks.  Not career wise.  Otherwise Messier would be up in the rafters :sick:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think Naslund meant alot to the Canucks. It was under his leadership the team emerged from the Messier darkness & became a consistently good team. That era brought in a ton of fans & raised the bar for the franchise. Naslund was also the best player in the world (or atleast neck/neck with Forsberg, or whomever) at his peak, won the first Pearson/Lindsey.

Lack of playoff success really hurts Naslund - if they had gotten to the finals in 03 it might not be as debated. Though he also had a shorter run as the heart of the team than the Twins or Linden/Smyl. 

Anyways I think Luongo is a better comparable to Bure than Naslund regardless. 

Without Moore elbow, Naslund's peak years could have lasted a few more seasons. Moore's elbow ruined the careers of Moore himself, Naslund, and Bertuzzi. I blame that f*ckface Tony Granato for all of this. 

Naslund's rise to stardom basically saved the franchise and that's why his number is retired.

It almost feels like a movie with how dramatic things are being a fan of the Canucks.

When Messier arrived, the media was like, he could help us over the top (since we were only few years removed from 1994 run). Then, $hit took place and the team was losing money and McCaw threatened to move the team -- Grizzlies had just relocated around that time so it didn't feel like an empty threat. Then, WCE came to the rescue and the team became relevant again. Then it felt like all our hopes were lost with Moore elbow and WCE's decline...  Then the Sedins took over. Luongo arrived. Kesler developed into an elite two-way player. Burr became a 30 goal scorer. It felt like we were on the verge... only to be blocked by a superior Blackhawks team. Then, we finally slayed the dragon. Only to lose in the game 7 to Boston. So many crosschecks to Sedins backs were uncalled. By putting the whistle away, the refs basically helped Boston to keep the Sedins cycle game to the perimeter. Boston was a great team and I give them credit for committing to their game plan but I think the cup should have been ours.

Winning the cup in 2011 would have made for a great way to end the story. Come up short in 1994, villains (Mess and Keenan) take over, Nazzy saves the team, Sedins carry over and take the team to new heights (president's trophy), then win the cup.

The new era after the Sedins feels like an entirely new story. I hope this one doesn't entail as much drama and suffering.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We never drafted Naslund either.  Naslund was no Bure either.  Luongo was a better player for his position than Naslund was.

People keep moving the goalposts as to what criteria needs to be met...

Yes and as time goes by it should become harder.  The earlier guys get an easier time cuz they are breaking ground.  This is universal with all teams.

7 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I don’t find it betrayal it’s just the business of hockey. He was looking after his future… there is only a few years of playing hockkey do that.

I agree. At the time it left a bad taste though. Sedins were declining and he was like I'm getting the f*ck outta here.

Agree with the many that the most he should get is his name up in the rafters - definitely NOT a Jersey retirement - and he should count himself lucky at that - as he screwed the canucks with not going LTIR in his last contract years and forcing us to pay him for nothing and his heart and family were always Florida Bound where he's still tied to - to this day.  

Jersey retirements are for very special exceptional players with their hearts and dedication to the club beyond a shadow of doubt - and he's not quite there.  I think the canucks got it right on this!

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed.  The team already set the standard with Naslund.  If Naslund is up there so should Bobby Lou...

FOH.  I don’t think Naslund should be up there, but he’s easily ahead of Luongo.

Naslund was voted best player in the league by his peers one year and was right up there for a multi year stretch.  

Roberto “two time second team all star” Luongo was a very good goalie for a long time but didn’t hit Naslund’s highs.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Smyl never won a major award so that barometer is out the window.  Luongo also played more seasons here than Bure, so that barometer is also out the window.  None of the players who have had their jerseys retired have a ring, so that barometer is also out the window...

Let's accept the fact that jersey retirement is a subjective decision. There is no barometer for deciding whose jersey should be retired.

I wouldn't be against Luongo's jersey going up there. Simply put, he is the best goalie this franchise has ever had.

I don't know if you were following the team in the late 90's but it was dark. It was way darker than it is now. Like fans weren't showing up at games and the team was losing money. Playoffs felt like a pipe dream. And then Naslund came along and scored 41 goals in 70 games; then he broke his leg against Buffalo. I still remember how we made the playoffs that year with Harold Druken OT goal against LA in the last game of the season. It felt like the entire lower mainland came to life. The talk of relocating the team disappeared as the owner started to cash out on the playoff revenue -- I vaguely remember reading that one round of playoffs gave the owner about 10 million dollars of profit then. 

The team had barely any down years from then until the Sedins decline. You could argue that Naslund helped pave the road for the most successful period of Canucks hockey and that sentiment seems to be shared by people that decide on whose jersey gets retired.

26 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Yes and as time goes by it should become harder.  The earlier guys get an easier time cuz they are breaking ground.  This is universal with all teams.

I think if you were the best player at your position in the world for a time and you are in the HHOF, then that is the major basis for getting your number retired.  Time with the team is also important, as is winning cups, being a team leader and then what you have done off the ice.

Smyl and Linden meet the latter criteria while Bure and the Sedins meet the first two.  Luongo really meets the same amount of criteria as Bure and more than Naslund.  So you can't just arbitrarily change the criteria and make it harder for the next guy.  

At the end of the day, Luongo asked for a trade and so did Bure.  Luongo holds 8 team records, Bure holds 5.  Luongo played 8 seasons with Vancouver, Bure played 7.  Bure won the Calder trophy, Luongo won the William Jennings trophy.  Both players took their team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.  Bure was a fan favourite, but so was Luongo.  Fans chanting Luuuu for all those years proves that.  Both are in the HHOF.  So, I fail to see what Bure did that Luongo didn't with this team.  

Naslund's number shouldn't even be retired as you set the bar way too low.  But Luongo is on par with Bure to be honest...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

FOH.  I don’t think Naslund should be up there, but he’s easily ahead of Luongo.

Naslund was voted best player in the league by his peers one year and was right up there for a multi year stretch.  

Roberto “two time second team all star” Luongo was a very good goalie for a long time but didn’t hit Naslund’s highs.

Luongo is in the HHOF and Naslund isn't, so that statement is completely false.  Luongo was 6 votes away from winning the Vezina trophy against a goalie who is considered one of the best ever.  He had the best SV% in the entire league in 2011.  Naslund may have been voted as the best player by his peers but Forsberg actually won the Art Ross and Hart trophies that year and the voting wasn't even close.  In fact, Brodeur almost beat out Naslund for 2nd place.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think if you were the best player at your position in the world for a time and you are in the HHOF, then that is the major basis for getting your number retired.  Time with the team is also important, as is winning cups, being a team leader and then what you have done off the ice.

Smyl and Linden meet the latter criteria while Bure and the Sedins meet the first two.  Luongo really meets the same amount of criteria as Bure and more than Naslund.  So you can't just arbitrarily change the criteria and make it harder for the next guy.  

At the end of the day, Luongo asked for a trade and so did Bure.  Luongo holds 8 team records, Bure holds 5.  Luongo played 8 seasons with Vancouver, Bure played 7.  Bure won the Calder trophy, Luongo won the William Jennings trophy.  Both players took their team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.  Bure was a fan favourite, but so was Luongo.  Fans chanting Luuuu for all those years proves that.  Both are in the HHOF.  So, I fail to see what Bure did that Luongo didn't with this team.  

Naslund's number shouldn't even be retired as you set the bar way too low.  But Luongo is on par with Bure to be honest...

Canucks made the decision not me or other fans.  They got it right.