The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

53 Years Ago Today

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Great stories. I have fond memories of visiting the Pacific Coliseum in late December in the mid-1980s to watch the Canucks take on

Philadelphia and Edmonton. I lived and taught school in north-central BC at the time.

Like Alf, I was a big Dave Keon and Leafs fan during the 1960s and early 1970s. By the way, Joe, I bumped into Eddie Shack and

Billy Harris at Savala's Steak House in Smithers one evening during the winter of 1986.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

good to reflect on the past when so much is going wrong the last several years.

i was a detroit fan back in the 6 team league. alex delvecchio was my favourite player.

like several others on here i was a fan of the canucks of the whl and the pchl. andy bathgate and larry popein lived in our neighbour hood before getting called up to the NYR.

we used to rent the back sheet of ice at the old form and play against other teams.

i had a friendship with babe pratt.

i loved watching the canucks every year from kurtenbach to now.

met and knew joe and jimmy watson.

i've always been a positive canuck fan but i honestly feeling more like i don't really care as much anymore.

always love talking with the old timers on here about the old whl.

i haven't really lost my love for this team, i just want the games to be a little more competitive. GCG.

Did you know Russ Berg? I played against him when he was playing Jr. in Merritt, maybe 1970? His family was from Smithers.

Edited by johngould21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i've always been a positive canuck fan but i honestly feeling more like i don't really care as much anymore.

always love talking with the old timers on here about the old whl.

i haven't really lost my love for this team, i just want the games to be a little more competitive. GCG.

This is where I find myself Joe. I love the Canucks but I'm not in love with this team. And we've been 'this' team for far too long. I don't know what this organization is doing. We seem to be directionless. You're either rebuilding, going forward or floundering. It's hard to be passionate about floundering. I had hoped when we cleaned house last year that things would change but here we are one year later still floundering.

What's even more frustrating is watching a team like Seattle having success with a team that's not even 1 1/2 years old. When we have players who supposedly are way better than anyone they have. :(

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

My first game was Jan 2nd '94. My Dad got me and my brother tickets for Xmas. I was 8 and super excited to go. We lived in Central BC and this was also a little vacation for us and a break for Mom, 3 days with the freedom of no kids (I could use that lol, I love my kids tho).

The game was at the old Pacific Coliseum and it was a powerhouse game between the surging Canucks and the defending Stanley Cup Champions, Les Habitants. I was, sorry to say, cheering for the Canadiens. I had a relative who had recently been drafted by Montreal. I even had a big sign with their logo on it that I brought to the game. 

The game was 3-2 loss for the Canucks, but it was a spirited game with lots of penalties but I don't think there were any fights. I remember Ronning scoring in the 1st and Damphousse scored in the 2nd to tie it 2-2. Can't remember who scored the winner.

But I remember watching guys like Linden and Bure flying around the ice and deciding that maybe I should start watching these guys play more. Again, keep in mind I was 8 so it was much easier to watch the eastern teams on Hockey Night, they played and finished their games before my bedtime lol.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

My first game was Jan 2nd '94. My Dad got me and my brother tickets for Xmas. I was 8 and super excited to go. We lived in Central BC and this was also a little vacation for us and a break for Mom, 3 days with the freedom of no kids (I could use that lol, I love my kids tho).

The game was at the old Pacific Coliseum and it was a powerhouse game between the surging Canucks and the defending Stanley Cup Champions, Les Habitants. I was, sorry to say, cheering for the Canadiens. I had a relative who had recently been drafted by Montreal. I even had a big sign with their logo on it that I brought to the game. 

The game was 3-2 loss for the Canucks, but it was a spirited game with lots of penalties but I don't think there were any fights. I remember Ronning scoring in the 1st and Damphousse scored in the 2nd to tie it 2-2. Can't remember who scored the winner.

But I remember watching guys like Linden and Bure flying around the ice and deciding that maybe I should start watching these guys play more. Again, keep in mind I was 8 so it was much easier to watch the eastern teams on Hockey Night, they played and finished their games before my bedtime lol.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199401020VAN.html

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

In late 2013 when I was in the depths of my addiction and starting to come down I suddenly remembered the Canucks were playing. I tuned in at the start of the 3rd period. Eddie Lack was in net and we were playing Carolina.

I was so alone and broken in that moment... but being able to watch 20 minutes of that Canucks game made me feel.. at peace and at home.

We lost the game if I recall correctly... but it didn't matter. I just felt a part of something for the first time in forever. Being a Canucks gave me some warmth that I desperately needed.

Love this team till I die!

Also, love hearing other posters stories about this team.

You’re awesome :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was there (first game), my dad and his best friend (their son was my best friend) bought season tickets, we had just come to Vancouver a year earlier after escaping the Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia. My dad used to be a pretty good player back home so he loved hockey. Don’t remember the game though, not becauseI was drunk, I was too young.

Edited by Wise Guy
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

I thank you all for sharing you experiences.  I see loyalty, struggles and resilience, patience, and discovery. I'm always really curious about people and what their stories are so this is exactly what I'd hoped for...what a great discussion.

This is likely how "we are all Canucks" came to be. People sharing their stories and realizing that we're all in this thing together. Keep 'em coming!

Cheers.

Great thread Deb, enjoyed reading the stories and hope to read many more.

Anyone remember Safeway $5 game tickets, late ‘80s maybe and Buffalo burgers outside the Pacific Colosseum?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I remember the Safeway tickets. I have a story about the Coliseum (I've told it before....bear with me).

When I had to become hockey supermom when my ex ditched, I'd take my son out to practices because kids could hang out outside, get autographs and meet (or at least "see") their favourite players. One time we'd been out there awhile with a handful of other kids/people. One by one, the Canucks started exiting the building...it was great. The kids were wow'd as their sports heroes filed out and took a moment to interact with them.

But everyone was waiting for one guy....Pavel.

He came out last and he blew by everyone...went straight to his car (a lambo? Had a door that opened upwards). 

It had rained on kids while they were out there and although they it was a great experience, Bure was the icing on the cake. No way was I letting him bolt like that....like a crazy stalker lady, I followed him right to door of his car as it opened and politely said "you're not going to avoid these kids are you...they've been waiting awhile for you". He smiled, closed the car door and came back over the signed/mingled for a few. I was so impressed with his response.

My son got his autograph on one of those felt banners....hung it in his room. Had lots of swag in there and one day I looked and noticed....the sun had faded the autograph completely off the banner! Oh well, didn't matter...we knew it was there.

My son got to meet Pavel on one other occasion and he was so sweet to us. Just loved that guy.

I got to go pick him up one time for a card show, he was signing autographs and he lived next to a good friend on mine in Coquitlam when he first came here, popped by for a couple barbecues. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kelly Green said:

My dad took me to at least one game the first season against Pittsburgh. Still have the game program somewhere with Murray Hall on the cover!

My dad had every program for the first 10 years then one day in the late ‘80s my mom threw them out along with my huge, and I mean huge (I had 11 of every set since 1970 and 11 unopened  boxes each year - 11 was my favorite number). I was smart enough to start buying up all the cards I could after that and opened a card store in 1991.

Edited by Wise Guy
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Wise Guy said:

My dad had every program for the first 10 years then one day in the late ‘80s my mom threw them out along with my huge, and I mean huge (I had 11 of every set since 1970 and 11 unopened  boxes each year - 11 was my favorite number). I was smart enough to start buying up all the cards I could after that and opened a card store in 1991.

I have cards, some unopened, going back to about 1986 now. We have a Lemieux rookie card that's in great shape. My brother used to collect and do card shows (we met Trevor Linden at one) and years ago it was priced at $400.

I have suitcases full of prime memorabilia. ESSO sets, 7-11 coins...any promotional thing that came out, we were all in. 

My dream was that one day my son could open a card/memorabilia shop. Problem is...we don't want to part with any of it!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, -DLC- said:

I have cards, some unopened, going back to about 1986 now. We have a Lemieux rookie card that's in great shape. My brother used to collect and do card shows (we met Trevor Linden at one) and years ago it was priced at $400.

I have suitcases full of prime memorabilia. ESSO sets, 7-11 coins...any promotional thing that came out, we were all in. 

My dream was that one day my son could open a card/memorabilia shop. Problem is...we don't want to part with any of it!

I got lucky and opened mined just as everything went crazy, only lasted 4 years but made a heck of a lot of money, good times. Nowadays it more a labor of love to own a store.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Way back when I was a teenager, I was crushing hard on my ex (and apparently he on me). He had an older friend with an apartment and we'd go over there to watch games. I didn't care AT ALL about the team and was there because he was.

I really became a true fan of the team in the late 80's early 90's. We were married by then and I started actually "watching" the games with him. Our son was also really into the Canucks as a young boy and when my ex and I split, I became the hockey Mom. Things escalated from that point, as everything was about the Canucks. Trevor Linden and the boys.

No turning back from there.

I never miss a game...ever. I even postponed my surgery on Tuesday because we had a game and I had to get home and watch it.

Till death do us part.

Everything about this is wholesome, right until the bolded part.

Deb, why on Earth would you do that? There's more to life than just the Canucks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Did you know Russ Berg? I played against him when he was playing Jr. in Merritt, maybe 1970? His family was from Smithers.

i didn't but i moved from van to smithers in 73. i coiached a kid, forget his name but he played a few games with ny islanders and another kid drafted by quebec but never played for them.

• Like 3

I never had any great love for hockey prior to 1970. We’d gather round and watch HNIC on Saturday night but when the signal would fade out more times than not I’d wind up being the rabbit ears. Every thing changed when the Canucks entered the league. Playing street hockey you could be Rosie Paiment or Bobby Schmautz, or if you were in net it was the Dunc. That’s when hockey came alive for me and the antenna wiggling job was passed on to my younger brother.

• Like 2