The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

Assuming he wants to stay in Van, I'd rather keep him if all they get is a third or a late 2nd.

Not me. I'd take the second or third best draft pick one can get in a heartbeat. That type of choice is almost acceptable if you have something worth supporting. We don't. We are almost dead last in the league. Unfortunately all this supposed culture he is bringing has done absolutely nothing in terms of results. Obviously there is something more we are missing than simply Luke's culture, like assets and better players, which is exactly what we're looking at here. The culture is such an over-rated concept here imo. You need a good culture but not a good time Charlie in lieu of actual assets when you're backs are against the wall like ours are.

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

I don't think the now or later depends on Schenn's personal life situation. Where ever he goes he will not be moving the family there, so being in BC the max amount of time is probably the best for him. In addition, any team that acquires him would probably not have a problem with giving him a short leave; he is a play off rental thats value will start in April. He'll get dealt on deadline day is the most likely; he'll have many suitors

Wrong for so many reasons…I can’t even explain. 

23 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

"All they get". Again our top DEFENSIVE prospect was just a 3rd rounder. Scott Morrow who everyone wanted for Miller and horvat was a 2nd rounder. 

Expiring UFAs for futures is the type of move we never make and currently are paying the price for. Trade no matter what 

The majority of players taken after the first round never play a game in the NHL.  Sure, some do and people that focus on picks always focus on those players as if they are the norm and not the outlier.  

They need "now" or "very near future" players, not lottery tickets who may pan out in 5 years 

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Doubtful, even a late 1st is still a 1st. Boston's prospect pool isn't the greatest either, they'd be better off saving it or flipping it for a superior player. I like Schenn and think he's valuable too but I doubt he returns a 1st, not that I wouldn't take one and run. 

More than likely a Boston return would look more like a 3rd+ imo. Let's saaaay.. Boston's 2024 3rd and something like Brett Harrison. https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brett-harrison

There are a couple intriguing pieces on their reserve list too. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mason-lohrei

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/matthew-poitras

I'd consider taking either for Schenn straight up, both players were recent 2nd round picks. 

I would happily take Brett Harrison in a one-for-one and if we can also grab a 3rd that would be fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not me. I'd take the second or third best draft pick one can get in a heartbeat. That type of choice is almost acceptable if you have something worth supporting. We don't. We are almost dead last in the league. Unfortunately all this supposed culture he is bringing has done absolutely nothing in terms of results. Obviously there is something more we are missing than simply Luke's culture, like assets and better players, which is exactly what we're looking at here. The culture is such an over-rated concept here imo. You need a good culture but not a good time Charlie in lieu of actual assets when you're backs are against the wall like ours are.

The draft is deep. 2nd rdrs should be worth something more than normal. I like Schenn but not enough to pass on a pick. Resign him if the opportunity presents.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Wrong by whose measure?

I’m not going to explain this again…..logic & common sense should tell you! Plus, it’s been voiced by him / others. On the pregnancy front alone……do you have kids? If so, you’d understand him wanting clarity / this being sorted asap. And, the team wants to respect that by all accounts…..due to respect and especially if they’d like to re-sign him in the summer. Plus, there’s injury risk…he just sat last game because of that. It’s really not difficult, but some on here seem incapable of understanding the most basic things. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty much. At the end of the day Schenn is likely a 5-7D on a team with a defense that's actually good, ours isn't. He's also unlikely to be a longer-term asset. Gotta have bullets in the chamber in terms of picks in order to nab players, gotta be willing to trade pieces if we want another team's prospect. 

We can't afford to get so hung up on our pieces that we're unwilling to move them, that's been an ongoing issue for the Canucks for too long as is. 

Culture is going to be changed on an ongoing, gradual basis anyway. If management and the coaching staff are really set on shifting things that'll happen with or without Schenn, ain't as if he's the only veteran who's won something in this league or who competes hard. Plus there's always the chance he comes back via UFA. 

Gotta focus on weakening the roster in the short-term, finding a way to draft 5 or 6 would likely impact this team's longer term future more significantly than holding on to Schenn would. 

We can't afford to get so hung up on our pieces that we're unwilling to move them, that's been an ongoing issue for the Canucks for too long as is. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post from start to finish.

If we're not in a position now to focus on making moves to strengthen the personnel of the team when would ever be the right time? We just need to make the obvious moves to push the team forward not once again figure out a way not to get better. It boggles the mind a bit really. People act as if keeping Schenn is somehow critical to making this team competitive in the next 2 years. Sorry, it's just not.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The draft is deep. 2nd rdrs should be worth something more than normal. I like Schenn but not enough to pass on a pick. Resign him if the opportunity presents.  

It's so so deep.  Obviously the top 10 is outstanding, after that it comes back down to earth

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

I’m not going to explain this again…..logic & common sense should tell you! Plus, it’s been voiced by him / others. On the pregnancy front alone……do you have kids? If so, you’d understand him wanting clarity / this being sorted asap. And, the team wants to respect that by all accounts…..due to respect and especially if they’d like to re-sign him in the summer. Plus, there’s injury risk…he just sat last game because of that. It’s really not difficult, but some on here seem incapable of understanding the most basic things. 

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but he's entitled to his opinion. 

Why wouldn't a contender like Boston who is a playoff lock accommodate Schenn by granting him leave for the birth of his child? They're expecting a child, more than likely his wife would just stay put in Vancouver. Playoffs are a long ways off, I don't see why any NHL team wouldn't accommodate him for a couple of weeks. Teams acquiring a player aren't going to immediately screw around with said player's family life. 

From a Canucks standpoint they need to be willing to pull the trigger if a deal is there, there's a strong chance Schenn's expecting a child would come up as part of negotiations anyway. I'd be surprised if the Canucks didn't do their due diligence to look out for him. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Would love the 6’4 220lbs LHD Mason Lohrei Boston has. Putting up some solid numbers in college and he’s a big boy.

Another is Buffalo. They have I believe 4 2nd round picks. Perhaps they give us one of their 2nd’s. They need some toughness on the backend and a mentor for their young defenseman. 

Yeah, he'd immediately be one of our more interested LD prospects. I'd take him for Schenn and run.

Didn't think of Buffalo but it makes sense, they're in the playoff hunt and their D as a whole is a rather young group. Could absolutely just send us whichever 2nd is highest or lowest. 

15 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I would happily take Brett Harrison in a one-for-one and if we can also grab a 3rd that would be fantastic. 

Yeah, he's an interesting prospect for sure. Poitras has good numbers too. Could use either center prospect, we're still thin at that position. 

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post from start to finish.

If we're not in a position now to focus on making moves to strengthen the personnel of the team when would ever be the right time? We just need to make the obvious moves to push the team forward not once again figure out a way not to get better. It boggles the mind a bit really. People act as if keeping Schenn is somehow critical to making this team competitive in the next 2 years. Sorry, it's just not.

It really isn't, and I like Schenn and what he brings. He'll be 34 before next season is even half over, he's not likely to be a longer term asset. We need to be sellers, we can't afford to be sentimental.

Plus, if he likes Vancouver as much as he claims he does he'll turn around and come back. Win win. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

"All they get". Again our top DEFENSIVE prospect was just a 3rd rounder. Scott Morrow who everyone wanted for Miller and horvat was a 2nd rounder. 

Expiring UFAs for futures is the type of move we never make and currently are paying the price for. Trade no matter what 

I think some people are severely missing the boat. I just shake my head when I see comments like well if it's only a late 2nd, or third it's not worth it. It's kind of like they don't understand the reality of things. Assets in hockey are incredibly hard to find, and usually super expensive. It isn't like they are just hanging on trees everywhere. Basically all NHL'ers, come out of the draft. There are 7 rounds ... by definition 2nds and thirds, are the second and third best picks you can get. Therefore in a limited asset world they hold lots of value no matter the chances of success. I guess the alternative is holding on to whatever for "character" and just hoping our 6th and 7th rounders turn into players and/or Bedard refuses to play for anyone except the Canucks.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. I'm getting pretty tired of being the backwards franchise.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's so so deep.  Obviously the top 10 is outstanding, after that it comes back down to earth

As fans we don't know what the offers are for Schenn. I'd take a 2nd without doubt and hope my scouts had a pick. Schenn is a UFA this summer. Not sure if there are ongoing talks to resign him. 

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

The majority of players taken after the first round never play a game in the NHL.  Sure, some do and people that focus on picks always focus on those players as if they are the norm and not the outlier.  

They need "now" or "very near future" players, not lottery tickets who may pan out in 5 years 

Disagree. We need all the help we can get. Even if it's not 100% chance of success. Unfortunately the NHL is tough and the best you can get is smaller chances. We're not getting any "now", or "very near future" players for Schenn.

And yes, all teams need lottery tickets who turn out whenever they turn out. Otherwise you're left with the Vancouver Sucks ... which is pretty evident. We're still going to have a franchise in 5 years so I can't understand why we wouldn't need players in 5 years. Like it literally makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think some people are severely missing the boat. I just shake my head when I see comments like well if it's only a late 2nd, or third it's not worth it. It's kind of like they don't understand the reality of things. Assets in hockey are incredibly hard to find, and usually super expensive. It isn't like they are just hanging on trees everywhere. Basically all NHL'ers, come out of the draft. There are 7 rounds ... by definition 2nds and thirds, are the second and third best picks you can get. Therefore in a limited asset world they hold lots of value no matter the chances of success. I guess the alternative is holding on to whatever for "character" and just hoping our 6th and 7th rounders turn into players and/or Bedard refuses to play for anyone except the Canucks.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. I'm getting pretty tired of being the backwards franchise.

Schenn will go for a 2nd.

If we are lucky a late first. 

If 3rd is the best offer at tdl and time is running out, consider it for sure but I'm confident he'll go for a second. 

League leader in hits

Plays a physical rugged game

The coveted Right shot right D position

Leader

Stanley cup champion

Low cap hit

+8 on an atrocious defense group

How does that not go for at least a 2nd...

I bet PA is holding out for a first or a 2nd and a good prospect. .. I know I would be... 

He's prob sitting on a few 2nds right now. 

@Gawdzukes if an offer came for a 3rd right now, would you take it?  Like a late 3rd...

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Report: A trade involving Canucks D Luke Schenn “could happen at any time” (msn.com)

Report: A trade involving Canucks D Luke Schenn “could happen at any time”

Story by Canucksarmy  22m ago

In what is quickly becoming a Canucks-themed podcast, 32 Thoughts gave an update on Vancouver Canucks right-shot defenceman Luke Schenn on their Monday episode.
Report: A trade involving Canucks D Luke Schenn “could happen at any time”
Report: A trade involving Canucks D Luke Schenn “could happen at any time”© Darren Yamashita-USA TODAY Sports

image.png