The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

Just now, stawns said:

TO knows their window is closing soon, they might be desperate to make a move like that

Yeah, that Muzzin injury really moves the needle on a Scheen type RD value. League Min salary will make him coveted above other options in my opinion.  

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, myre said:

I would gladly be wrong but in my opinion some of what is being said in here is very unlikely.

he's a guy they shouldn't hurry up and deal........they need to use him as leverage between teams.  Don't want to give us our ask Toronto?  Fine, I'm going to TB and see what they'll give us and you'll have to play against him.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

he's a guy they shouldn't hurry up and deal........they need to use him as leverage between teams.  Don't want to give us our ask Toronto?  Fine, I'm going to TB and see what they'll give us and you'll have to play against him.

He is the quintessential guy that gets dealt the morning of deadline; make your offer.....we'll review all offers and let you know TDL day morning

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

That doesn’t even make sense.  He is giving his opinion on not moving Schenn if the return isn’t enough and re-signing him instead.

”you don’t really get a say” is a weird and dumb thing to say on a discussion forum.

It isn’t a way out their opinion to think there could be value in keeping Schenn that beats a late 3rd or 4th round pick.  Just picture a world where someone knows there is no one to respond and takes a big run at Hughes in the next two months and he is out for 6-8 months missing part of next season.

A 3rd round pick is nice, and has a 20-25% chance of turning into a regular NHLer, and a slim chance of turning into someone who plays in the top half of the lineup.  There is less chance of it turning out to be an NHL player who plays on the roster for two years than signing Schenn to a cheap two year extension.

There is absolutely an argument about keeping him, even being a huge asset management rebuild guy like I am.  Acting like a class organization also has a value since the player fraternity is small.  Not trading a guy so he can help his family is a class thing to do and shows loyalty that players may reward with loyalty.

They would not have pulled him from the lineup, flew him back from Nashville, and said that he is not playing until he is dealt if they are planning on keeping him.  They have also had no contract talks with him past this season.  At this stage the intent is 100% to deal him.  The difference between a last 2nd and a late 3rd is minimal in the scope of % chance of making it. I'd be more than happy with a D EP, Jurmo, Tryamkin, DiPietro, Madden level prospect in return for Schenn. 

I'm sorry but a comment like  "I am not trading Schenn if it is for just a late 3rd" is completely irrelevant to the conversation, especially when all reports point to the return being that or lower.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree with this concept, but I don't think any of the teams involved are considering a first round pick. Put it simple. If the teams were in different positions, would you be advocating for giving up our first round pick for him?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, myre said:

I don't disagree with this concept, but I don't think any of the teams involved are considering a first round pick. Put it simple. If the teams were in different positions, would you be advocating for giving up our first round pick for him?

any team interested in Schenn will likely be a team that goes deep and that first essentially becomes an early second.  I'd rather have a young roster player anyway

Just now, stawns said:

any team interested in Schenn will likely be a team that goes deep and that first essentially becomes an early second.  I'd rather have a young roster player anyway

I would prefer a pick myself. As for any team going deep in the playoffs, I mean it's not a given by any means so just imagine if you end up with a mid 20s pick and you traded it away for him because you got bumped in the first round because you played a hot team or you ended up with a bunch of injuries. It happens with top teams they got knocked off in the first round. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If he's in the top six, he'll be an asset for sure. He'd help the Leafs with their softness. 

Imagine that they would pay two first round picks for him? I think the optics there would look terrible haha. That being said, I suppose Burke did say his value was above 10 first round picks haha

7 minutes ago, myre said:

I would prefer a pick myself. As for any team going deep in the playoffs, I mean it's not a given by any means so just imagine if you end up with a mid 20s pick and you traded it away for him because you got bumped in the first round because you played a hot team or you ended up with a bunch of injuries. It happens with top teams they got knocked off in the first round. 

I'm not shy on my feelings about picks.........they need help now, they can fix the future as they go, but they need players at the moment, imo.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not shy on my feelings about picks.........they need help now, they can fix the future as they go, but they need players at the moment, imo.

Totally disagree. This is Linden and Sven all over again. I prefer a Rasmus myself. Nobody should be thinking about the now when it comes to returns at the trade deadline for us.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Thats interesting, it can be argued his value is a 2nd +.

Not sure why that valuation is seen as ridiculous?

To be perfectly honest, if we got a second round pick for him I would be absolutely happy with management. If we get any more than that I will be absolutely ecstatic with management.