The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Dec. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 12/23/2022 at 10:40 PM, singing chef said:

Merry Christmas to you Mr. Positive  .............................

Lol. Sorry to be realistic.  Everytime horvat scores , remember they signed miller instead.  Ooops , now horvat hits his prime. It's complete incompetence year after year, and I've watched pom pom posts fly after wins without any accountability for where the franchise is overall. So far, this season has been a massive failure, and it will get worse, so no , not stoked when this is the new shiny " rebuilt team" we waited for squeezing out some wins. Overall,  it's not a championship team, and that's what fans deserve.  

We could list off idiotic move after idiotic move for the last 7 or so years , but we shouldn't be happy with this product.? It shouldn't be shocking when they win.

Edited by cuporbust
  • RoughGame 1

Delia did have an excellent game and a lot of his saves were a result of his great positioning and knowing exactly where he was in the net.

Several times it was clear he had lost sight of the puck, but he was able to get back into position facing the threat with the right depth in the crease, and the puck hit him.

He isn't a reaction goalie like someone like Jonathan Quick, who depends on athletic ability and razor sharp moves to make his saves.

I like the way he puts his shoulder right to the post when dealing with threats from the left or right boards.  A lot of goalies will cover the bottom 2/3's of the net but leave a gap up top which accurate shooters like McDavid or Draisaitl can take advantage of.  Delia never gave them room.

Of course two games is a really small sample but a .920 save percentage and 2.33 GAA looks good when compared to the two starters.  Still I think Martin should continue to get the majority of the games, but maybe Delia could see more regular opportunities between the posts.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m still leaning towards them re-signing him. I’ve always felt that was the most likely scenario.

A “retooling” team doesn’t trade their captain. 

Two underwhelming offers from the front office. Even if we move out cap to fit him. I don’t see him wanting to go through another re-tool with this team. He wants to win. I can honestly see him take less money  elsewhere, to go to a contender. Which I don’t really blame him for.

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think I recall reading somewhere that Delia chose to sign with the Canucks because we had Ian Clark.  Might've been a Vancouver Sun article.

Clark is probably the best coach the team has... that probably includes Boudreau.

By far the best of the assistant coaches.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Delia did have an excellent game and a lot of his saves were a result of his great positioning and knowing exactly where he was in the net.

Several times it was clear he had lost sight of the puck, but he was able to get back into position facing the threat with the right depth in the crease, and the puck hit him.

He isn't a reaction goalie like someone like Jonathan Quick, who depends on athletic ability and razor sharp moves to make his saves.

I like the way he puts his shoulder right to the post when dealing with threats from the left or right boards.  A lot of goalies will cover the bottom 2/3's of the net but leave a gap up top which accurate shooters like McDavid or Draisaitl can take advantage of.  Delia never gave them room.

Of course two games is a really small sample but a .920 save percentage and 2.33 GAA looks good when compared to the two starters.  Still I think Martin should continue to get the majority of the games, but maybe Delia could see more regular opportunities between the posts.

Two words; Ian Clark. The change I’ve seen in Spencer Martin last spring vs this year is ridiculous. Quite honestly, it is probably the main reason we always have good/great goaltending no matter who plays vs a team Oilers that always struggle.

kudos Mr Clark

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. Sorry to be realistic.  Everytime horvat scores , remember they signed miller instead.  Ooops , now horvat hits his prime. It's complete incompetence year after year, and I've watched pom pom posts fly after wins without any accountability for where the franchise is overall. So far, this season has been a massive failure, and it will get worse, so no , not stoked when this is the new shiny " rebuilt team" we waited for squeezing out some wins. Overall,  it's not a championship team, and that's what fans deserve.  

We could list off idiotic move after idiotic move for the last 7 or so years , but we shouldn't be happy with this product.  It shouldn't be shocking when they win.

There's no reason they can't move miller and keep horvat 

24 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Delia and Martin are both solid backups but neither can handle a full starters work load, hence Martin's recent struggles. Play each one every other game or 2 games in a row max until Demko returns. 

26 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think I recall reading somewhere that Delia chose to sign with the Canucks because we had Ian Clark.  Might've been a Vancouver Sun article.

It was Kevin Woodley, USA today hockey writer goalie expert and The Hockey News goalie guru writer. I clearly remember him on 650 saying Clark was the main reason he came to Van, also praised the Canucks because we found a huge hidden gem with Delia. 

• Upvote 1