The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller Interview on Delia Incident

Rate this topic

JamesB

I’ll be interested to see if anything gets leaked out to Friedman or Bieska… I really have doubt that this was anything other than something for fans to pile in with their frustrations about the team. I bet the team is supportive. Don’t get me wrong I am frustrated to but not from this incident.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

I’ll be interested to see if anything gets leaked out to Friedman or Bieska… I really have doubt that this was anything other than something for fans to pile in with their frustrations about the team. I bet the team is supportive. Don’t get me wrong I am frustrated to but not from this incident.

I think most fans are decently happy with the play in the last month or so aren't they?  I think a lot of people are not too keen on losing Horvat for 7 years of this attitude coming from Miller.......with no one to really keep him in check after Horvat and possibly Schenn are gone.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Tanti9 said:

Messier caused Linden to be traded. Linden got us Bert and Mccabe. And trading Linden at that time was probably one of the best things the Canucks ever did. He was at his peak, and was never the same player after. Something the Canucks seldom do... move a player at their peak for young talent.

The McCabe trade led to us getting the twins

I get the hate on Messier, but his impact on the franchise was not as bad as many scream about. Both Naslund and Bert also credit him for teaching them how hard they had to compete.

If Messier was never here, the West Coast Express would have never been here, the twins either, and Nazzy would never have been the same player. Alot to be thankful for.

Messier just like the Bruins will never be accepted here. Its a " fan " bandwagon thing that completely disregards the best NHL leader who was in the Vancouver locker room for a few seasons and had a major positive impact on players he was teammates with. The players talk about it. Fans see an old floater who accepted a huge pay day. Coupled with Wayne Maki's number and Linden being dealt people can't get past it.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

His constant disregard for and could care less about the fans attitude is what has turned me off. You don't forget the position you are in and who is essentially paying your way for that comfy insulated lifestyle.

Bo Horvat seems to be able to keep this a priority. The twins did, Naslund did, Linden too. Its very important in this market and I'm kind of surprised the team hasn't reminded him.

everyone seems to walk on eggshells with this guy.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Like the captain as well. 

he does agree.  Really though, BB made a big mistake taking the blame rather than just saying it's an internal matter or something like that.  Miller gives off the air of thinking he doesn't have to be accountable for anyone

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

His constant disregard for and could care less about the fans attitude is what has turned me off.

That's why I wasn't upset when Linden was traded away.

I will never forget his answer when a reporter asked him what he thought about high ticket prices and how does a family afford them?

His answer - "Hockey's not for families".

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

For the record, I loved the trade to bring him to Van

The guy should have been a 'long term rental" and have been moved prior to this season.

Would have had him play for a few years, then got back more in return than was spent to acquire him.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not hoping for that.  I'm hoping that management sees Miller for what he is, a somewhat toxic presence on the ice and moves him before his new deal and his NTC kick in.  If bad press helps them see that, I'm all for it.  

As long as he keeps doing miller things sparing enough time for management to open their eyes to it before TDL He can keep being miller. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

The guy should have been a 'long term rental" and have been moved prior to this season.

Would have had him play for a few years, then got back more in return than was spent to acquire him.

I think if he is an actual problem then management will surely see it… I think he would be traded if he is a problem. I know lots have said he can’t be traded now and no team would want him but it does happen every year with sketchy players.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, JamesB said:

There has been extensive discussion in the post-game thread of Miller's actions at the end of the Winnipeg game. But I think the issue is bigger than just one game and it came through in this interview today (Friday). It is really about the attitude and performance of a guy who just signed a monster contract. It is, for the example, the headline story in the current Vancouver Sun. (See https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-bruce-boudreau-says-j-t-millers-stick-smash-at-collin-delia-my-fault/wcm/626788a6-806f-4301-81ec-38577ec23abb).

To me, one key quote from Miller's interview is the following:

"Like I don’t care about this at all. I only care about the guys in the room and my coaches and my teammates. It’s all I care about, and I didn’t even know it was a thing until today.”

Notice that Miller failed to mention fans. And he has said similar things before--indicating that he does have any consideration for fans. He seems unaware of the fact that fans,, indirectly but undeniably, provide the money for his $8 million per year cap hit. (And this is U.S. dollars -- more that $10 million per year in Canadian dollars.) His attitude is one of complete entitlement -- like he owes the fans nothing despite their financial support and general support. 

That are several other aspects of his attitude that bother me -- like his lack of support for a new young teammate (Delia) who was playing really well and covering for Miller's mistakes. A guy like that does not deserve the "A" on his sweater. 

It would have been a minor issue if Miller had just admitted he was wrong (as he certainly was) and apologized. Instead he chose to act like a complete jerk.

By the way, it is the coach who make the call on when the goalie leaves the ice, not a guy circling around his own zone with the puck as time it ticking away. 

I know he will have defenders, A lot of fans will support almost anything about the Canucks (even Benning's performance as GM --at least until he was finally fired).

Next time I go to a game I will be tempted to shout "trade Miller", although I won't have the nerve to actually do it.  I do think trading Miller would be best thing the team could do at this stage, even if it is just for "future considerations"  (i.e. nothing)

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but it was in this afternoons Canucks army. Interesting read.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/on-off-ice-feuds-dominated-2022-story-vancouver-canucks-reflect-anybody 

Miller is starting to look like a bit of a jerk.

Edited by aqua59
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1