The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. New York Islanders | Jan. 3rd, 2023 | SNP, 7:00PM PT | New Years Edition

Rate this topic

Roberts

13 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Luke Schenn was out of the league not too long ago and the 7th dman on Tampa. Getting a 2nd out of him is excellent value. I love Schenn more than anyone same goes for Bo, but a good organization knows when to move on from players.

Keeping a guy like Bo keeps us middling. You’d think we’d learn from the competitive rebuild in the Benning era..

Again, if we want to tank and rebuild like your post initially said then picks and prospects are far far more valuable.

It’s not middling when you gut the rest of the roster…

Keeping Bo and Schenn on the roster to be leaders so it’s not forced on guys like Petey and Hughes is a crucial part of a rebuild.

One more time, our own picks are the only thing that will really move the needle for this team. I think people are naive if they think a Horvat trade is really gonna make a big difference in the long run. We’re not gonna fluke into a good trade like the Duchene one. It’s gonna more likely be a bottom 4 D man and a couple so so prospects.

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It never is. But... are you suggesting "selling"  OEL, Myers, Pearson, Boeser, JT, Poolman, Garland, and Mikheyev? Most of them have negative value, especially given how tight the cap is across the league.

All it takes is one team seeing value in a Myers, Garland, and Boeser. I don’t see that being far fetched. Only getting a 2nd round pick or taking on a shorter term cap dump might be necessary though. There’s lots to be said about cost certainty and players locked in do hold value.

Miller has more value than Canucks fans think. He’s just not gonna fetch the top picks and prospects people were proposing a year ago. Which is fine because cap space is the key right now.

Poolman probably won’t play again, and I don’t think we’d wanna trade Mikayev (who would have lots of value).

Edited by DeNiro

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Keeping Bo and Schenn on the roster to be leaders so it’s not forced on guys like Petey and Hughes is a crucial part of a rebuild.

I get it, there was once a time we needed to insulate these guys and provide veteran leadership so they can learn the ropes.

But how long do these guys need to be sheltered that way.

Around the league, there are numerous players their age leading their teams (Suzuki, Hischier, Kackphuk) - when exactly do these two take on that responsibility? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I get it, there was once a time we needed to insulate these guys and provide veteran leadership so they can learn the ropes.

But how long do these guys need to be sheltered that way.

Around the league, there are numerous players their age leading their teams (Suzuki, Hischier, Kackphuk) - when exactly do these two take on that responsibility? 

Not every player has the personality to be a leader, especially in a Canadian market.

Forcing it on Petey because he’s our best player is not smart. I also don’t see Hughes as mature enough to lead (not yet at least).

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

Still think this team could be a lot better if some of their high priced players who arnt scoring and arnt good defenders were replaced with more capable 2 way players.  The difference would be quite different i figure.  TDL/off season cant come soon enough so until then, go canucks go.