Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 03, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Not you too Deb.

Say it ain't so DLC.

All we gotta do is scrape out a few points 'til Thatcher comes back.

F'Bedardo, he's just another little smart-arse-shite.

Let's get some big cheap monsters and beat the Marchand out of anyone who dares to score on us.

Playoffs here we come!

And Look Out Ya Wee Shites!

The Canucks are gonna make The Playoffs!

I'm still with the boys cheering them on and will continue to do so. Win or lose, this is my team. But it's getting hard to ignore that we could get a good young prospect and there's a silver lining in losing. It's not all bad. This draft is strong so it matters. I will never cheer for the tank, but I fully support it if it happens organically at this point. Makes something out of nothing. I have faith in this team when they're "on" but there's so much frustration showing and it's starting to become a landslide. It's wrecking them (as well as me) and there has to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. They'd have to pull off a repeat of last year's turnaround...only better to get there. I sure wish they could build on a win or two and generate some momentum, but it just isn't happening. I want them to succeed so this is really time to assess what needs to be done for that to happen. I know who I'd want to keep and, at this point, not everyone's on that list. But my loyalty keeps that secret...for now, this is my team and the one I'll cheer for. Go Canucks Go. In it to win it but will also be thankful if we get a tankful. 

(I'm not even counting on Bedard truth be told...doubtful that would happen. Big cheap monsters just aren't out there/available...we tend to overpay. Would LOVE some of those...I like tough/gritty as much as skill)

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I'm still with the boys cheering them on and will continue to do so. Win or lose, this is my team. But it's getting hard to ignore that we could get a good young prospect and there's a silver lining in losing. It's not all bad. This draft is strong so it matters. I will never cheer for the tank, but I fully support it if it happens organically at this point. Makes something out of nothing. I have faith in this team when they're "on" but there's so much frustration showing and it's starting to become a landslide. It's wrecking them (as well as me) and there has to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. They'd have to pull off a repeat of last year's turnaround...only better to get there. I sure wish they could build on a win or two and generate some momentum, but it just isn't happening. I want them to succeed so this is really time to assess what needs to be done for that to happen. I know who I'd want to keep and, at this point, not everyone's on that list. But my loyalty keeps that secret...for now, this is my team and the one I'll cheer for.

Ok.

You're still coming out of post-op blues, I get it.

A win against the Reigning Stanley Cup Champions will get you back in the positive side of the ledger.

Perhaps once the GDT for the next game drops, you'll start to get your MOJO BACK.

Quinn outplaying Makar would be good for the spirit, and as the saying goes:

"There's no Q in Colorado".

GO CANUCKS GO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, it's the lack of systems and structure, imo.  Systems are all about ouck support and I see none of that on the ice

I see that too but the reality is only one of those defenceman should be on the ice at any given time on a good hockey team. Not 4 of them. Scotty Bowman couldn't make systems that fix that either.

But I agree. BB is showing he doesn't have the technical skill to grow youth he is more of a motivator for good players.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't move schenn either........they need more of that, not less.  You can move an NMC player if they want to go.  Not sure why oel would want to leave Van though, especially with young swedes coming up

Schenn has a lot of value to a playoff bound team, it would really completely depend the return. If you start moving guys before or at the deadline, you aren't trying to get better this year...or maybe even next. Not moving Schenn if we get a good offer accomplishes absolutely nothing for this franchise, keeping him won't make the team better or change it's trajectory...he's not playing for another 4 years. They should absolutely move him if the right offer comes along. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

27 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That Bear turnover can be coached out. But whatever they're thinking, this D all thinks they can get away with what Quinn does. Bear has 2 guys on his ass hounding him. And he tries the fancy play. Just pound it into the boards right behind the net. 

They all trying to make plays like Quinn. 

It’s ridiculous that they allow Myers to make the plays in the offensive zone that he does.

He has zero hockey IQ and can’t hit the net to save his life, yet they have him jumping up in the play.

Sorry but not every D man should have the same length of leash. Someone needs to tell Myers he’s not in his Calder season anymore. There needs to be accountability for guys like him making 6 million, and so far I’ve seen none.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

How does pro-rated salary cap work when you trade players (for and away) during the season?

Like if we trade cap-for-cap, do both teams make cap space?

(Still searching for happiness in another PLT - Post Loss Thread.)

@Vintage? @mll? @anyone?

Not sure to quite understand the question but cap space is also dependent on whether a team is in LTIR and the amount of banked cap space they have.  A team's prospective cap space is also pro-rated but banked cap space can help cover part of the cap hit of the player added.  In LTIR the pro-rata wouldn't apply and they need the full cap hit available.

The math can get a bit complicated so I find it just easier to use CapFriendly.  If you go to each team's page, they'll show you how much each team can add in full cap hits so you don't have to do the pro-rata.  They have the "current cap space" and the "deadline cap space".

CapFriendly shows Vancouver with ~1.5M in cap space today as well as at the TDL as they are in LTIR and can't bank cap space.  Quite a few teams are.

Seattle has avoided LTIR.  They have ~2.16M in cap space today, but if there are no further roster movements till the TDL they could add up to 5.1M in contracts then.

If the trade is say 75% into the season and a team has always operated 1.5M below the 82.5M cap they would be able to add a 6M player then.   

81M x 75% of the season + (81M + 6M) x 25% of the season  = 82.5M.

If a team has always been at the salary cap they would have already used up 75% of 82.5M and only have 25% of 82.5M left - ie to add say a 3M player they would need to move out 3M of cap space.   That's also the LTIR situation where the cap space available is only prospective cap space as there's no banked cap space.

• Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That Bear turnover can be coached out. But whatever they're thinking, this D all thinks they can get away with what Quinn does. Bear has 2 guys on his ass hounding him. And he tries the fancy play. Just pound it into the boards right behind the net. 

They all trying to make plays like Quinn. 

The best defenseman in the league turn the puck over from time to time, it's not worth overanalyzing it just happens. Its part of the game. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

The best defenseman in the league turn the puck over from time to time, it's not worth overanalyzing it just happens. Its part of the game. 

That one stood out for me because of the 2 forecheckers bearing down on him. Make the easy play I was thinking. But yeah all dmen do make mistakes. But our 13 giveaways to NYI 3 giveaways stood out. 

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

Benning got fired for hanging onto green.  The OEL trade was a good trade

It was an objectively bad trade. It was a hope and prayer that OEL would find his form 3-4 years prior and Garland would step in and be a perennial 20 goal scorer. Then we signed him to a contract extension with almost no sample size or tangible evidence he would do that here. 

What proves it? How have Garland and OEL improved this team and it's future? We were a .500 team when we traded them, and we are still a .500 team after.

The implications of being patient one more year and letting Beagle's and Roussel's contracts expire (while still having a chance to draft Guenther) are far less than carrying OEL's cap hit until his late 30's AND missing out on a top tier prospect which this franchise badly needs/needed. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Not sure to quite understand the question but cap space is also dependent on whether a team is in LTIR and the amount of banked cap space they have.  A team's prospective cap space is also pro-rated but banked cap space can help cover part of the cap hit of the player added.  In LTIR the pro-rata wouldn't apply and they need the full cap hit available.

The math can get a bit complicated so I find it just easier to use CapFriendly.  If you go to each team's page, they'll show you how much each team can add in full cap hits so you don't have to do the pro-rata.  They have the "current cap space" and the "deadline cap space".

CapFriendly shows Vancouver with ~1.5M in cap space today as well as at the TDL as they are in LTIR and can't bank cap space.  Quite a few teams are.

Seattle has avoided LTIR.  They have ~2.16M in cap space today, but if there are no further roster movements till the TDL they could add up to 5.1M in contracts then.

If the trade is say 75% into the season and a team has always operated 1.5M below the 82.5M cap they would be able to add a 6M player then.   

81M x 75% of the season + (81M + 6M) x 25% of the season  = 82.5M.

If a team has always been at the salary cap they would have already used up 75% of 82.5M and only have 25% of 82.5M left - ie to add say a 3M player they would need to move out 3M of cap space.   That's also the LTIR situation where the cap space available is only prospective cap space as there's no banked cap space.

Thanks mll, when I read it the first time, my eyes glazed over.

Slowed down and tried again and I think I've got most of it now.

In other words, so much for my fond hope that we could create some cap space this year with an equal cap - to - equal cap trade.

Just gonna have to continue to wait this year out I guess as most teams are also cap-strapped.

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

The season is 204 days long. The new team has to pay for the remaining days of the contract. 

Right now there are 115 days left so for example Bo at $5.775 would be (115/204) or 56.3% = $3.26 mil.

On Mar 3 there will be 57 days remaining meaning Bo's contract would cost someone (57/204) = 28% or $1.62 mil in cap space to acquire.

Edit: At least that's how I think it goes. mll will probably learn me up pretty quick though! ;)

185 days long this season.  You can deduce it using the daily cap tracker on CapFriendly.  They show the amount of days that have gone by already and the accumulated cap hit - doing the calc backwards shows that it's a 185 day season.    

Here's Vancouver's page:  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/cap-tracker/canucks

There's 42 days left at the TDL (might be off by 1 day - never know how they count).

Horvat's cap hit is pro-rated but so is a team's remaining cap space.  The pro-rata applies on both sides of the equation.  If a team has no banked cap space they need to find the full cap hit to add Horvat otherwise they would be above the salary cap at the end of the season.  CapFriendly shows the full cap hits that can be added - they already account for the pro-rata and take into account banked cap space.

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

that would be huge, but you also run the risk of Schenn deciding that he landed in a better spot than here.

you can only show people a better example so many times before they realize that the grass actually is greener somewhere else

I know the Blues aren't looking great right now, but imagine trying to explain to your brother why you want to re-sign with this gong show

If I was a Schenn member, I might consider an intervention, wink

I seem to remember some interview or article that Schenn said he specifically chose Vancouver and loves it here. So we could rent him out and get a pick or something of value in return in best case scenario. Worst case scenario, he also walks at the end of the season. Or we trade him, get something and he signs there or elsewhere. His career is slowly winding down and right now he has a lot of value. We should aim to capitalize on value. Who knows maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder that we acquire in a trade could end up being his much younger/faster replacement. I feel like Schenn is at that point in his career where its about lifestyle and not so much about the ultimate goal, because he already has 2 cups. Realistically he’s got 3 maybe 4 years left. He’ll be 34 next season and hes not the quickest. Hes a helluva meat and potatoes guy that would help now and for a couple more years, but I dont see him lasting more than 4 years

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Lol I told you guys Bear was a product of the Oiler hype machine.

The Canes found this out quickly and didn’t waste any time shipping his ass out of Carolina. Just sucks we were the team who bit. 

I've liked what I've seen from him for the most part...one gaffe doesn't make him a bust. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

It was an objectively bad trade. It was a hope and prayer that OEL would find his form 3-4 years prior and Garland would step in and be a perennial 20 goal scorer. Then we signed him to a contract extension with almost no sample size or tangible evidence he would do that here. 

What proves it? How have Garland and OEL improved this team and it's future? We were a .500 team when we traded them, and we are still a .500 team after.

The implications of being patient one more year and letting Beagle's and Roussel's contracts expire (while still having a chance to draft Guenther) are far less than carrying OEL's cap hit until his late 30's AND missing out on a top tier prospect. 

OEL has played well, as has Garland, who will likely bring something back in a deal.  I have zero issues with the trade and don't think Guenther is going to amount to much in AZ.

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Lol I told you guys Bear was a product of the Oiler hype machine.

The Canes found this out quickly and didn’t waste any time shipping his ass out of Carolina. Just sucks we were the team who bit. 

We paid a 5th for him and got an AHL stud for the farm team.

It was worth the risk to take a flyer on him.

• Upvote 4