Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

29 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, I am starting to think that a Canes trade would work well

JK, 2023-1st, and ????? for Horvat

Podkolzin.................Pettersson...................Kuzmenko

Pearson.......................Miller..........................XXXXXXXX

Mikheyev.........................JK.........................Garland..................................Nice defensive minded 3rd line with Offensive up side

We gotta hope one or 2 of Lekkimakki, McDonaugh, Our 2023 1st, or Klimovich, can add to our 2nd line

Yup.  That’s the kind of trade that works well for us.  Do the Canes have a 22-26 year old right shot D we would want?  Maybe we can get both JK and that D man? 

36 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, I am starting to think that a Canes trade would work well

JK, 2023-1st, and ????? for Horvat

Podkolzin.................Pettersson...................Kuzmenko

Pearson.......................Miller..........................XXXXXXXX

Mikheyev.........................JK.........................Garland..................................Nice defensive minded 3rd line with Offensive up side

We gotta hope one or 2 of Lekkimakki, McDonaugh, Our 2023 1st, or Klimovich, can add to our 2nd line

I've got news for you Jan, that line up isn't a cup winner 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

And neither is a Hovat/Miller swap, unfortunately!

You know how I feel on the subject CC.....sell them all!

Look at the Av's, a cup winner who with the injuries they've had are scarcely better than the Canucks.

They're missing Manson, Byram, Landeskog right now.  Have been missing others.

My point is, if you could add a couple of D and a forward, and get rid of a few dogs, the Canucks would be a very different team.  Now, getting there is easier said than done.  But recognize what is good about this team and what is not.

In the meantime, I'm wondering why I'm watching this debacle of a game as once again, the Canucks unravel like a cheap sweater.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Look at the Av's, a cup winner who with the injuries they've had are scarcely better than the Canucks.

They're missing Manson, Byram, Landeskog right now.  Have been missing others.

My point is, if you could add a couple of D and a forward, and get rid of a few dogs, the Canucks would be a very different team.  Now, getting there is easier said than done.  But recognize what is good about this team and what is not.

In the meantime, I'm wondering why I'm watching this debacle of a game as once again, the Canucks unravel like a cheap sweater.

The "well we haven't won with X player on the team" argument is such a intellectually dishonest red herring in a team sport (particularly for a team that's been "re-thinging"). That doesn't make any individual player "bad" or any team incapable of winning with them on it. Does anyone honestly believe because Horvat hasn't won anything, he couldn't win in  say Carolina if he gets traded there? Or that Pettersson isn't good enough to win anything if he stays here? Come on :rolleyes:

Honestly, despite our major holes at 3C and RHD, we have plenty of talent to be a decent team (certainly better than our record). Our problems are more related to fit, chemistry, lack of identity, role players etc. We've failed miserably to surround our quality players with complementary players and build a corresponding team identity.

New management made baby steps towards that with guys like Kuz, Mik, Bear, Stud, Aman etc but took a questionable step back extending Miller (player, but not timeline fit), not moving some of Garland/Boeser etc.

They've got this TDL to start making more meaningful changes to correct those more major structural roster issues rather than tinkering around the margins. If they fail at that, I don't like their chances of being supported by the fanbase though. The fans want to see a plan and meaningful changes to address those roster holes, chemistry/fit and identity issues. More half measures and excuses will not land well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The "well we haven't won with X player on the team" argument is such a intellectually dishonest red herring in a team sport (particularly for a team that's been "re-thinging"). That doesn't make any individual player "bad" or any team incapable of winning with them on it. Does anyone honestly believe because Horvat hasn't won anything, he couldn't win in  say Carolina if he gets traded there? Or that Pettersson isn't good enough to win anything if he stays here? Come on :rolleyes:

Honestly, despite our major holes at 3C and RHD, we have plenty of talent to be a decent team (certainly better than our record). Our problems are more related to fit, chemistry, lack of identity, role players etc. We've failed miserably to surround our quality players with complementary players and build a corresponding team identity.

New management made baby steps towards that with guys like Kuz, Mik, Bear, Stud, Aman etc but took a questionable step back extending Miller (player, but not timeline fit), not moving some of Garland/Boeser etc.

They've got this TDL to start making more meaningful changes to correct those more major structural roster issues rather than tinkering around the margins. If they fail at that, I don't like their chances of being supported by the fanbase though. The fans want to see a plan and meaningful changes to address those roster holes, chemistry/fit and identity issues. More half measures and excuses will not land well.

when I watch this team and see people complain about the d (not without cause) I wonder if those people ever wonder where the forwards on when the defensmen are being pressured and have no outlet pass available to them......because I see that ALOT

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I said they had no one in the org to replace Myers and finding a replacement outside the org was going to be costly in money and assets.  I still stand by that.  

Get rid of Myers, get rid of oel and who replaces those hard mins they play?

I think we've discussed this before. Ideally the return from a Miller/Horvat trade but we've been talking about this for over a year now. :sadno: Will the head of this organization ever wake up and make one big trade, let alone many big trades? Who knows. Ideally we get a younger RD who makes a decent amount less than Myers.

Realistically I think we can throw in any cheap replacement type player and it won't make much of a difference, but at this point we might as well ride it out. He will need replacing next year so we'll see then. 

• There it is 1

Just now, stawns said:

when I watch this team and see people complain about the d (not without cause) I wonder if those people ever wonder where the forwards on when the defensmen are being pressured and have no outlet pass available to them......because I see that ALOT

Yup, we desperately need a defense-leaning 3C and another couple "Mikheyev-like", big, fast, 2 way players in their top 9 that will help support the puck, defend a lead, back check, PK etc.

...Along with a couple of similar defensive skill set D on the right side ;) 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think we've discussed this before. Ideally the return from a Miller/Horvat trade but we've been talking about this for over a year now. :sadno: Will the head of this organization ever wake up and make one big trade, let alone many big trades? Who knows. Ideally we get a younger RD who makes a decent amount less than Myers.

Realistically I think we can throw in any cheap replacement type player and it won't make much of a difference, but at this point we might as well ride it out. He will need replacing next year so we'll see then. 

I think Myers will actually have value (2nd rounder) at the 2024 TDL.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Myers will actually have value (2nd rounder) at the 2024 TDL.  

I’m not watching that guy play for this team for another season.

Either they trade him in the offseason or buy him out.

Addition by subtraction.

Just now, aGENT said:

Yup, we desperately need a defense-leaning 3C and another couple "Mikheyev-like", big, fast, 2 way players in their top 9 that will help support the puck, defend a lead, back check, PK etc.

...Along with a couple of similar defensive skill set D on the right side ;) 

Exactly!  Our core is good.  New management is changing over the supporting players to cheaper and better. Going to take to the summer of 2024 to see a more finished supporting cast. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Addition by subtraction.

It will cost sugar to trade him next summer.  Even though he will only be owed 1 mil (after his bonus is paid) he still will count six on the cap.  Good teams won’t want that cap allocation and crappy teams (that will eat cap) will demand sugar.  We suffer watching him play until the 2024 TDL and we add a second rounder instead of spending one in the summer to dump him.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  Our core is good.  New management is changing over the supporting players to cheaper and better. Going to take to the summer of 2024 to see a more finished supporting cast. 

Yup, and other than extending Miller, they've done a largely good job so far of tinkering around the margins. But they need to do that at a bigger level and start fixing this roster's major structural issues (made harder by them handcuffing themselves with the Miller extension).

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Addition by subtraction.

Just like the other thread, that's not happening.

Just now, aGENT said:

Just like the other thread, that's not happening.

But they’d buy out Garland?

Id rather take the shorter buyout hit for one season. They’re not gonna be a cap team next season anyways.

Its about clearing house and starting fresh with a new D core and coach.

Just now, DeNiro said:

But they’d buy out Garland?

Id rather take the shorter buyout hit for one season. They’re not gonna be a cap team next season anyways.

Its about clearing house and starting fresh with a new D core and coach.

I argued against them buying out Garland too, so no, they won't likely buyout Garland either. He's moveable at worst for a pittance, just like Bjorkstrand. Even more moveable if we retain and/or take back (lesser) cap. Either of which make infinitely more sense than a Garland buyout.

But there's like laughably no chance they buy out Myers.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I argued against them buying out Garland too, so no, they won't likely buyout Garland either. He's moveable at worst for a pittance, just like Bjorkstrand. Even more moveable if we retain and/or take back (lesser) cap. Either of which make infinitely more sense than a Garland buyout.

But there's like laughably no chance they buy out Myers.

I find it more laughable if you think a contender looks at Myers (with salary retained or not) and thinks he’s a player they want. :lol:

Like there’s so many D men available at the deadline that can play a depth shutdown role. Why would they want Myers at 3 mil who can’t even play as well as a lot of those guys? Hell Schenn is a better target and would come at a third of the price!

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah he's a good add on a playoff team if he plays like he did in the playoffs.

And he’s not showing any signs of being that player.

Even at 50% retained no team is taking that on. There’s much better ways to spend your limited cap dollars.

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Addition by subtraction.

well, lets get a coach that knows at least something about implementing a system of play, defensive specifically, and go from there.