The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

having cap space to use has never been more valuable than it is now, imo, whether it's used to sign players or used in the trade market.  I know that there seems to be pther paths, but I think that only four players on the team will provide any significant cap space from a trade.....Miller, Hughes, Demko or Petey.  Everyone else (Boeser, Garland, Myers, OEL) will almost sure have significant cap coming back, or don't have a hgh enough cap hit to bring much relief.  

Personally, to do it right, I think they need to deal 2 of those 4 players.  By trading two hgh value players, the team get assets and cap space to use and to weaponize in order to add both youth (from weaponized cap space) and veterans (ufa or trades) to the org.  Added to some good pieces in the organization, I think a 3-4 year turn around is a reasonable goal, but more importantly, they will have set up some succession within the organization........they will have a decently steady stream of young players being injected into the organization.  That's the goal they should be aiming for right now and to do that they need young players and cap space.

That does not make any sense at all, you only want to get rid of only half of them what's the point? Either you are building around this core or your not. Get rid of these guys so you can gain youth and UFA's? Really? That's the plan?

Let me make it easier for you. If you can improve your team, no one is untouchable. If you can't, then why make a deal? It really is that simple. 

I'm a gonna go with JR's plan instead, K? :lol:

Sportsnet: Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts on Vancouver Canucks J.T. Miller

“The one thing I wanted to mention on Vancouver, just with (J.T.) Miller. There’s been a lot of talk about his situation. I don’t know where this is going to go. There’s a chance it might not go anywhere but I do think teams have called the Canucks and just said, ‘If we wanted to do this, what would you think about here.’

So, we’ll see where that goes.”

• Haha 1
  • elephant 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

That does not make any sense at all, you only want to get rid of only half of them what's the point? Either you are building around this core or your not. Get rid of these guys so you can gain youth and UFA's? Really? That's the plan?

Let me make it easier for you. If you can improve your team, no one is untouchable. If you can't, then why make a deal? It really is that simple. 

I'm a gonna go with JR's plan instead, K? :lol:

And what is JRs plan? If you could tell everyone we’d love to know. :lol:

Seems like it’s changed from a 2 year plan to “major surgery”.

Of course you don’t just trade players for the sake of it. Miller would likely fetch another first and a top prospect. Those are pieces teams build contenders with.

The Matt Duchene trade for example set Avs up to win a cup. Those are the type of “step back” trades you have to make sometimes to improve your roster. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The next 7-8 years.

~24-32, that makes sense. 

If we don’t trade him, Miller anchors the 2nd line for the first half of that (his 4 year NTC window).

If we do trade him, we need a replacement (like you suggested with the Dach example). Otherwise we take a step back during EPQH’s prime

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And what is JRs plan? If you could tell everyone we’d love to know. :lol:

Seems like it’s changed from a 2 year plan to “major surgery”.

Of course you don’t just trade players for the sake of it. Miller would likely fetch another first and a top prospect. Those are pieces teams build contenders with.

The Matt Duchene trade for example set Avs up to win a cup. Those are the type of “step back” trades you have to make sometimes to improve your roster. 

You mean now that they are able to assess the team? I think they had something before they delved into this mess, They realized that this team is soft and takes nights off and doesn't always check like they are supposed to. Bo and BB were a part of that and now they are gone. 

This is going to take a while and I am sure they are wondering how they can cut out the past regimes mistakes as soon as possible.

I think you can put the Bo trade as that step back trade. 

If you can't see the plan then I don't know how to help you, it seems pretty straight forward and Tocchet isn't a mysterious guy, he tells it like he sees it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You mean now that they are able to assess the team? I think they had something before they delved into this mess, They realized that this team is soft and takes nights off and doesn't always check like they are supposed to. Bo and BB were a part of that and now they are gone. 

This is going to take a while and I am sure they are wondering how they can cut out the past regimes mistakes as soon as possible.

I think you can put the Bo trade as that step back trade. 

If you can't see the plan then I don't know how to help you, it seems pretty straight forward and Tocchet isn't a mysterious guy, he tells it like he sees it.

Saying that the plan is straightforward is in no way true. 

They planned to re-sign Bo until they couldn’t. That’s a major deviation from their plan.

You don’t know any more than I do what they’re gonna do next. It wouldn’t surprise me if they traded Miller and it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t. 

I just hope they’re being realistic with their timelines this time.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat was our Duchene.  We already made that deal. 

Except the Avs had more pieces in place than us, and a younger roster with a longer window.

They also got two D men through that trade. We’ll be lucky to get one with our pick.

And the most important thing is they had cap space.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Except the Avs had more pieces in place than us, and a younger roster with a longer window.

They also got two D men through that trade. We’ll be lucky to get one with our pick.

D men should definitely be our focus. 

Now that Vegas has Whitecloud and Theodore back from injury, I wonder if we could pry Korczak from them.  Perhaps offer Boeser or Beauvillier to replace Stone in their top 6?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And the most important thing is they had cap space.

You're forgetting that they had Johnson signed to a deal that was just as bad as OEL's at the time. 

I can't remember much of their other cap situation, but I do remember MacKinnon struggling early on in his career. Landeskog was their main guy, and their young core didn't pan out multiple times when it was supposed to. 

You could say that they had a better base/cap situation, but it's really not that different from where we find ourselves now. I think that patience and building on top of Petey, Demko, and Quinn is the lesson to be taught here. 

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I would not trade Miller for KK straight up. Has to include a potential top 4 Dman.

I'm sure they like KK but I have also heard reports that they want more of an offensive spark for their 2nd line.

Actually CAR can afford both Miller and KK if they wanted to keep him. Then I'd say we'd be looking at Morrow + pick coming our way

Drury could also work but I'd imagine they'd be more inclined to swap matching 7 year cap liabilities than tossing us a guy on his ELC.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Keep going with the current roster because you believe they can be good is already “f’n around”. They’ve shown their so far from the top teams it’s gonna take years to get there anyways.

Either Pettersson and Hughes are committed to being a part of that building or they’re not. You can’t keep putting out an average roster because you’re afraid of losing two players.

Bingo.

You keep building the team and plan on keeping your best players. If they want out, you adjust the plan but keep building with the assets you get from them.

Stopping the building or trying to take short cuts building out of fear they may want out is such daffy "planning" :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Colorado got lucky that they ended up with the 4th overall pick. It’s not like they planned to get that. Same thing could happen with the Islanders pick if they don’t make the playoffs and are dumb enough to give us their 2024 1st. 

As for trading Miller, some are quite happy to trade him for JK, Morrow and a 1st. JK might be a $5 million 3C for his career. Morrow isn’t even signed yet. He could literally walk after 2 more years and pull an Adam Fox.  The 1st round pick will be in the late 20’s and could be a complete bust. 

So there is no guarantee we will be any father ahead by trading Miller. At least if we keep him we know exactly what we got. 

Also, the whole freeing up of $8 million in cap space so we can go out and spend that money on a bunch of overpriced UFA’s makes zero sense as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1