The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I’m not thrilled with the Miller signing (in hindsight) but:

a) it’s not that bad. Miller is a 70+ point player and worse players are being paid more (Huberdeau) 

b) outside of that, management made some very smart free or cheap pickups (kuzmenko and mikheyev cost us nothing to get, and we got Bear for scraps, they also picked up Filip Johansson for free and he’s been very good in the SHL) 

this management team has been nothing like GMJB. GMJB would sign the most overpriced free agent available to “make a splash”, let our valuable UFAs that we paid 1st rounders to get walk, and then trade away our 1sts. 

New management hasn’t committed those same sins.. yet. So I’m holding back the pitchforks til they do something like that. 

Someone out there is going to give Horvat (30 goal, 55-60 point 2nd line Center) 9 million a year, and thank god it’s not going to be us. PA is likely going to get a ton of assets in exchange for him, more than we would have got for Miller. 

kuzmenko and mikheyev Fell into their laps, they didn’t have to work too hard on those 

Kuzmenko wanted to come here, sounds like Bruce and podz did a lot of the talking and mikheyev was a free agent suprise, Allvin himself said he didn’t expect mikheyev to have Vancouver on his list 

so really 

Dermott 

stillman

studnika

bear 

And a very questionable first round pick in letterkenny 

bear was a reasonable trade - that’s it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

The moves JB gets flak for were harmless deals because he knew what the real timeline was.  None of the players he signed were going to impede his ability to support the real core of the team as they started to take over.  All his "terrible deals" were set to expire in the next or two, right when Petey becomes "the" guy.

This management team.hss f***** this up far worse than JB would have. 

Uhh true for pre OEL trade. 

After that the whole narrative is out the window. 

• Cheers 1

Another blown lead. Another abysmal PK. Weak defence and bad goaltending. This has been repeated too many times. 

Only difference in this one is that the PP doesn’t show up. 0-5. Really…

If our PP fails us like the PK has been ALL season long, this team will never win another game. That’s our ONLY strength versus other teams.

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

The moves JB gets flak for were harmless deals because he knew what the real timeline was.  None of the players he signed were going to impede his ability to support the real core of the team as they started to take over.  All his "terrible deals" were set to expire in the next or two, right when Petey becomes "the" guy.

JB’s biggest failure was when he chose to get rid of 3 terrible players off our roster that had only 1 year left.

Garland looks ineffective most nights. Sorry but size does matter. JB signed him for another 5 years.

OEL has got to be one of the worst defenders out there and we are stuck with him for like another decade. He may not have signed him but he inherited the forever contract. 

To top it off, that pick ended up being a good prospect. 

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Uhh true for pre OEL trade. 

After that the whole narrative is out the window. 

Yes exactly. I was worried when he said we are going to get really aggressive this summer. That fking flying banner. Honestly some fans are partly to blame. Couldn’t wait another year. What did they expect would happen when I guy thinks he’s going to lose his job

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

JB’s biggest failure was when he chose to get rid of 3 terrible players off our roster that had only 1 year left.

Garland looks ineffective most nights. Sorry but size does matter. JB signed him for another 5 years.

OEL has got to be one of the worst defenders out there and we are stuck with him for like another decade. He may not have signed him but he inherited the forever contract. 

To top it off, that pick ended up being a good prospect. 

Well OEL is only 4 more seasons after this so not close to another decade.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Neutral said:

He was brutal on that 4th goal against. Never liked us giving that much to him when we had the most depth at the winger position to begin with. Mik has fit in here decent but if a team wants to acquire him at some point during his contract he signed with Vancouver then I would move him especially if the offer is good!

2 absolutely horrible signings and 1 totally unnecessary one (19m) has this team in a tailspin from which its now nearly impossible to recover. Complete dunces, JR and crew should be put out to pasture. Firesale at the deadline.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Yes, they had a chance to steer good ship Canuck in the right direction to change a losing team's ways but chose to stay the course of GMJB.

All the new front office hures are just doing the same thing as the previous regime but Rutherford's interviews make it worse by insulting the intelligence of this fan base with his BS

Both him and Allvin have been saying way too much for my comfort level, that the fans want a playoff, like that is all fans here want, like we are from the southern US where fans go to watch winners only or at least more often. Where they have to be in the playoffs to attract media and fan attention.

The idea that fans only want a playoff game or two is scary and that looks like how they are operating.

Fans here have had it shoved down there throats that this concept has failed for 10 years, 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Were you around in the 1980's when there were 7,000 people showing up at Pacific Coliseum?

Yeah we have seen some sad times as a franchise. We actually as a franchise are a sub 500 team…apparently our total record is 1706 wins, 1796 losses…we have literally been a middling team forever. Younger fans have no idea the suffering the older fans have been through lol. The most recent era of west coast express and sedin years are the only years I truly remember this team being a playoff bound team year after year. In 94 we had a few good seasons but nothing much.

I think that’s why you see older fans act more chill to all these…we’re effing numb to it all lol.  At least we have an owner now that wants to spend money and push this team to the next level.

Hopefully we clear the deck come TDL and start changing things for the better. We have some good pieces to build around long term and that’s a good start.

I’ll gladly watch more Canucks hockey if they commit to a rebuild. I want to see it done properly this time.

If done right you can turn things around in 3-5 years. Look at LA already…I counted 13 young drafted players that they just drafted in the last 5 years ALL playing on the team…and not all of then 1st round picks either. They got 7th rounders playing for them right now. Impressive.

• Cheers 2

Canucks and expansion twin Sabres are the longest continuously running active NHL franchises to have never won the Stanley Cup.

I’m willing to wait a few more years if we can get a proper plan in play. The current path is the long road of mediocrity.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

1st rounder and 12.5m of cap for OEL + Garland cooked us pretty bad (I know we disagree on OELs value. I’m not an OEL hater, I just don’t think he’s playing to a 7.2m contract, nor garland to a 5m). 

Just checked our schedule for the next two months for some comfort.

This will take care of itself. There’s only like 3 or 4 teams I can see us beating. Chicago, Columbus, Philly, and Detroit. And even then I’m not confident we can beat any of them right now.

Our last month has tons of games against fellow tankers though. That will be the true test whether or not we’re contenders or pretenders. No going on 5 game meaningless win streaks for moral victories. They need to ensure we’re icing the best (worst) roster possible. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

24 minutes ago, BertaNuck said:

kuzmenko and mikheyev Fell into their laps, they didn’t have to work too hard on those 

Kuzmenko wanted to come here, sounds like Bruce and podz did a lot of the talking and mikheyev was a free agent suprise, Allvin himself said he didn’t expect mikheyev to have Vancouver on his list 

so really 

Dermott 

stillman

studnika

bear 

And a very questionable first round pick in letterkenny 

bear was a reasonable trade - that’s it. 

Idk if we can discredit any moves they made and say they were “easy”. At the end of the day even if they fell into their lap, they decided to pull the trigger on those moves vs spending the money elsewhere. 

And there were definitely other teams in the mix for Kuzmenko, our guys did the best sell job. Credit where credit is due. 

At the end of the day, they made all the moves I listed, and I feel as though many are angry at them for things that were largely inherited from the previous regime. 

could they have spent the 5m on mikheyev on a defenseman? Maybe. But who? And how much better would we really be, considering the rest of the roster that JB constructed?

1yr is not a reasonable amount of time to evaluate a management group that inherited: an empty prospect cupboard, about 20 million dollars worth of overpaid players, and a extremely top heavy roster. 

let’s see how they look in 2 years from now. If they’re still running with the GMJB roster at the time, I’ll grab my pitchfork, my LE jersey, and you and I can throw pucks at GMPAs office in rogers arena 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Just checked our schedule for the next two months for some comfort.

This will take care of itself. There’s only like 3 or 4 teams I can see us beating. Chicago, Columbus, Philly, and Detroit. And even then I’m not confident we can beat any of them right now.

Our last month has tons of games against fellow tankers though. That will be the true test whether or not we’re contenders or pretenders. No going on 5 game meaningless win streaks for moral victories. They need to ensure we’re icing the best (worst roster possible). 

Yep. The Yotes are on a 6 game losing streak, so they are tanking hard. We need to match their effort