The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, KFan said:

Of course I'd love to see a Bedard quality forward with the Canucks, but scoring is not our problem. Defense, holy f*&#. And I think we have at least adequate defensemen, excepting those two old farts (not meaning Schenn). We obviously don't have coaching that can make the entire team understand how to stop the other team from so easily scoring goals. Where the hell is our defense coaching? Pathetic!

Our defense needs to be completely overhauled. It’s not the coaches job to teach defenders when to pinch and when not to. To get their sticks in passing lanes and know how to actually block shots. We need to dump everyone but Hughes, OEL and maybe Dermott.

As for scoring not being a problem sure, but Bedard is on a whole other level. He’s the type of player that will score and have multi point games every night. We don’t have players that are that consistent right now. And we’re likely going to lose Horvat, Kuzmenko and one of Boeser and Garland. So yes we will need offense.

Trade those guys for pieces to help rebuild the D.

• Cheers 1

Game after game after game, I watch the opposition pressuring our players all over the ice, to the point where they don't have time and space to generate offence, and give up high danger scoring chances repeatedly. It looks like a coaching problem to me, because why the hell else would the entire team just stand around in a box waving their sticks while the other team passes it around at will? Does any player really WANT to play like that? Maybe it's simply a sheer lack of talent, but I'm starting to feel more like coaching is a big problem this year. 

Edited by Strawbone
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

Another sloppy mess of bad PK, bad OEL-Myers and average AHL goaltending. Such a shame, I think if we had one legit top 4 defenceman and even an average Demko, we'd be a lot better than most of the Pacific teams.

OEL aint going anywhere so Bruce has to try and get the best out of him and pairing him with another slow sluggish D man is not the answer. Got to get these guys with a younger, faster, slicker guy. 

OEL with Bear, Myers with Dermott. Share the hate/love. Schenn goes back with Hughes. Not ideal, but it averages out our bad D men. Or here's an idea, put Burroughs in for Myers.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Hampus Lindholm was a UFA, is better, and costs less. 

OEL was at one time an incredible two way defender and was absolutely worth his pay but the OEL that skater coast to coast and put in 20 goals is gone. 

He can play a shutdown role like last year and so it well, but not contribute offence.

Or he can be a transitional defenseman that pinches aggressively and gets burned (part of this is the fault of having a bad partner). 

Either way, better defenseman are getting paid less. I’m not trying to be too harsh either, he’s probably comparable to other 2nd pairing guys making 4-5m. It’s not only the slight overpayment, it’s also that we lost the 1st rounder. 

Exactly, this notion that no defenceman in the league making less than $7 million can play defence instead of OEL is ridiculous. He's totally overpaid for what he is delivering. Hansen is totally bang on with that. I mean I don't even know how one can honestly argue that.

Tell me you can't find guys on this list for around 4 million that would do just as well as OEL and Myers.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Not really, you're paying dman that much, minimum, to do what OEL does, but they likely wouldn't have got one any other way 

Really, the only way? That doesn't compute. Surely there is more than 1 defenseman available in the NHL and several ways to acquire them. Benning made a fatal error when he sold the farm early to chase short term success.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

We have plenty of “game breakers”. You don’t have to be “elite”.

This year it’s Bo and Petey. Last year was Miller and Demko. When any of these were on, they dominated the other team and were bonafide game breakers

Problem is we've got loads of these guys up front, but no game breaker defensive-wise who can prevent a game from being broken open the other way.

5 goals for should be enough to win a game.

All our stars and game breakers are up front, none on defence or in net this season and that's the difference.

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

On a separate note why does Luke Gazdic look like he spent the night in a dumpster? Does he know he's on TV?

A career as an enforcer will do that to a guy if the many books written about their post game activities is anything to go by. 

28 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Schenn and Hughes a combined +6, 1 goal and 3 assists.

OEL and Myers a combined -4 and 1 assist.

This isn't a team-wide problem.

On paper, those stats looked like Schenn and Hughes was acceptable in their on own end.

But if you take a deeper look; Hughes led the team in scoring chances against and high danger scoring chances against. His xGA/60 was also third on the team, this game. Schenn was 4th on the team in xGA/60, and behind Hughes in both high danger and scoring chances against.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

This team has serious issues. At first, I was wondering if someone like Ekblad could turn this team around... But the answer is no. Too many of the core has psychological damage and the rest of the team followed suit and play that way. 

We are missing swagger, confidence etc. 1 player cannot change that. 

The core is rotten and keeps affecting any new comers. 

Im so glad podz and Hogz are in Abbotsford. That was a great move by management. Maybe they know what they are doing after all... 

We literally need to strip the team down to Petey and Hughes and trade everyone else. Anyone that can negatively influence the up and coming guys with their passive play needs to go. We need an identity and a new culture and unfortunately, I don't see anyone on this team minus Petey capable of playing this way. 

All you have to do is watch most of the guys doing a slow glide back to the bench after every shift. Leads to so many too many men penalties and it shows the world that you don’t care.

Good teams don’t do crap like that. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That’s pretty standard with any first round pick traded now.

No point chancing it.

I meant that they’d fall off this year and actually need the protection but for sure wouldn’t wanna be the Denver broncos