The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, stawns said:

None of those guys are in OEL's tier and would look far far worse under this coaching staff.

Totally disagree. It's like we're watching different games. It couldn't look any worse imo his $7m is a complete waste ... this is record setting stuff here. Clearly we have a philosophical difference of opinion here. Carry on, and have a good day sir! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

None of those guys are in OEL's tier and would look far far worse under this coaching staff.

I actually have no problem keeping OEL. He is out best all around d man currently. 

Hughes is better offensively but not defensively. 

OEL isn't a bruising d man either. He is good with his stick, smooth skater. He's a guy that can probably last til the remainder of his contract and still play at a high level. 

If we really want to trade him, there will be better times to do it in the future. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

What?  How many times do we see bo bust his ass back to be the first back checker?  Tons is the answer you're looking for

I haven't seen it consistently. He's a fine offensive talent but he's not an impactful defender. I don't want to call him out, he's absolutely been an offensive workhorse this year and he's terrific in front of the net. Give us a kesler, and two real d-men and no-one would care about Bo's d. But if you want to look at stats - Bo's has the lowest hits, blocked shots of any canucks centerman per 60 mins and his takeaways are below the other centers except miller. People complain about McDavid (33rd) and Draisaitl (52) but Bo is 91st in takeaways when you compare him to other centers. He is much better than those two in minimizing giveaways though.

I don't really want to argue this, Bo is fine. He's just the captain of a team going nowhere and we need big changes and with Miller's contract he's the one to move for the future. The team needs a change, it needs steady and calming two-way players and he's the way we get that. We'll miss his scoring for sure.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
d

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I actually have no problem keeping OEL. He is out best all around d man currently. 

OEL isn't a bruising d man either. He is good with his stick, smooth skater. He's a guy that can probably last til the remainder of his contract and still play at a high level. 

If we really want to trade him, there will be better times to do it in the future. 

And his price tag, I doubt you'd find many buyers anyways. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tye value is cap space, getting out from under that contract and getting his personality out of the room.  Everything else is gravy

I'm starting to think that, due to your lack of response, you were not talking about who I was. Demko.

I am going to assume that you are making a statement about that one player that has been stuck in your craw for the last couple years?

20 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think that's a bit unfair.

Horvat is a very good 2C.

Problem is, we're expecting him to be Patrice Bergeron / Ryan Kesler in his prime. 

He's been overhyped as elite defensively where he is actually just above average. 

We would be very good if we had another Horvat rather than Miller and Boeser. 

He's one of the least problems defensively on this team. Problem is that we have too many guys that are bad defensively

This year, Horvat has been cheating for offence, blowing out of the zone early for example. In the years past, he almost never did. 

This being the contract year, it's understandable but it would be a mistake to re-sign him to a monster deal.

7 mil x 8 years? Yes. Bring him back. Otherwise, it's time we go another direction.

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I have no problem either, well for one, we don't got anyone better to replace him.

I still think that with a better partner and defensive structure, he can play better. Last season, he was good at 5-on-5. I don't think he's become worse this season, it's the team defence and usually the defenceman are more noticeable when you get scored on.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, jyu said:

I have no problem either, well for one, we don't got anyone better to replace him.

I still think that with a better partner and defensive structure, he can play better. Last season, he was good at 5-on-5. I don't think he's become worse this season, it's the team defence and usually the defenceman are more noticeable when you get scored on.

Also his contract ends 2027 I believe. That's 4 years. 

If we start a mini rebuild by trading any combination of Horvat, Kuz, Boeser, Miller, Myers Pearson, Garland, Schenn, Dermott, Bear, it'll take 3-4 years for the team to rebuild and for us to need capspace for the bridge signings etc. 

Might as well keep OEL as we won't need the capspace. If he picks up his play great we then have options. We keep him or retain a little in the final 2 years of his contract and trade him. 

Management should be selling guys who have value right now which is Horvat and Kuz for sure.  Any guys with less than 2 years left should be looked at as well. If Myers @ 2m retained has value, trade him too. Same with Boeser and Pearson. 

Miller will most likely require a hockey trade as we don't want a long retention on salary. 

It feels like the fans and the team are waiting for moves to happen. It unfortunately feels the same since last deadline when we thought miller would be moved. 

Management might as well pull the trigger now so that we can all resume with being fans of this team again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jyu said:

This year, Horvat has been cheating for offence, blowing out of the zone early for example. In the years past, he almost never did. 

This being the contract year, it's understandable but it would be a mistake to re-sign him to a monster deal.

7 mil x 8 years? Yes. Bring him back. Otherwise, it's time we go another direction.

Horvat is what he is a passive center who averages 58 pts a season..and this team will be stuck in in the middle of the pack for ever if he's signed long term going forward..time for big change ..trade your best assets for D help and turn this sinking ship around.

Edited by Rackdawg
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

I think the burden of proof is on you to prove and put forth an argument on why you think they couldn't. There are a ton of CDC users calling for a rebuild as well as many writers who follow the team exclusively...and saying an arena was half empty 40 plus years ago isn't all that relevant.

Most of the people on CDC don’t even go to the games so it’s irrelevant what they think. As someone who has probably attended over 500 games myself I have a pretty good idea of what the actual paying customers think so I don’t need to be told to prove anything to be totally honest with you. 

This team was on the verge of being sold and moved out of Vancouver at least twice since I’ve been following the team. I don’t think we are in danger of that now as Aquilini has deep pockets and the land that the rink is siting on is actually worth more than the team so there is no reason for Aquilini to sell as the overall value of the Canucks and the real estate the rink is sitting on is close to $2 billion. 

We’ve never gone into a full rebuild in over 52 years and it’s never going to happen as long as Aquilini is the owner. If we did go into full rebuild I can only imagine how many jerseys they would need to sell to make up for all of the ones that would be thrown onto the ice. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Consistently non existent! Hold Bo to the same standard as everyone else. The guy does nothing if he's not standing still for tap ins. Can't even win faceoffs these days.

We are incredibly lucky he's doing the one thing that shoots value up regardless and that's score goals

An assists last night                                          plus 2         

a goal the game before that                              plus 0

an assist in the previous game                         plus 1

2 goals in the first game on Jan.                      minus 1

Averaging over 20 minutes per night.

This guy is not the problem, or even a problem

- 56.6% face off wins

• Cheers 1