The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

TSN is saying teams are callin SJ on Karlsson. Just last year people were saying he couldn't be moved. Karlsson is 32 @ 11.5 cap hit... 

Maybe OEL will have a resurgence as well. 

I’ve already accepted that we’re stuck with OEL. He’s gonna have to be part of the solution here.

Ship out Myers, Schenn, and Bear and get some value for them if we can.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With a defensive structure in place we would definitely win alot more games.  This year however we'd had average goaltending which has hurt us as well.  Double whammy basically.  We MIGHT be able to sneak into the playoffs if Barry Trotz was our coach, but we are definitely not a Stanley Cup contender.  The entire defence needs to be rebuilt from scratch.  OEL, Myers, Burroughs, Stillman.  These guys wouldn't even make the roster of most playoff teams.  Hughes and Bear are all we got, and an ageing Schenn who is at the end of his career.  Dermott is okay on the 3rd pairing.  We need like 3-4 defencemen to fix this mess.

If Erik Johnson can be on a top COL team and win a cup..  Myers and OEL can BOTH be on a playoff team. Maybe not a cup winner, but they are by no means as bad as everyone wants to believe.

Our only true way to fix this is let these guys be place holders until we can develop guys in the minors  on ELCs and step in and take over slowly for Myers, OEL, Schenn and Bear. We have to stop looking to fix the issue through trades or signings unless it is a player whos age fits with the group. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

But that’s not sustainable is it?

We would still need to rely way too much on Demko, increasing his likelihood of getting injured again.

The goal should not be to get Demko back to that level, the goal needs to be to make it easier for our goalies no matter who’s in net. 

That comes with less time in our own zone, more blocked shots, and guys that can actually close passing lanes and clear the net. Until we get that it doesn’t matter how good Demko is.

Yeah I agree we have a lot of issues such as system, coaching, defence and penalty kill (not to mention effort level on some nights).  Still though, do you not think if both of them played like last year, we would be a lot better? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I prefer what the Rangers did. We don’t need to undergo several years of a rebuild. Just one or two. 

The Rangers got very unlucky with their two high draft picks.  Imagine if Lafreniere and Kakko were actual stars in this league?  They probably win the cup this year easily...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

If Erik Johnson can be on a top COL team and win a cup..  Myers and OEL can BOTH be on a playoff team. Maybe not a cup winner, but they are by no means as bad as everyone wants to believe.

Our only true way to fix this is let these guys be place holders until we can develop guys in the minors  on ELCs and step in and take over slowly for Myers, OEL, Schenn and Bear. We have to stop looking to fix the issue through trades or signings unless it is a player whos age fits with the group. 

And if they bring in a new coach and it’s the same old problems?

Management is not gonna go into another season with this group. I think Schenn and Myers are definitely gone by the offseason. Bear Od be 50/50 on. If a team is willing to cough up a 2nd for him you take it and run.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’ve already accepted that we’re stuck with OEL. He’s gonna have to be part of the solution here.

Ship out Myers, Schenn, and Bear and get some value for them if we can.

I agree but all I am saying is all is not lost in OEL. He may regain form at one point. 

Im with you that we should be shipping out anyone with value and not be adding assets to get rid of guys like OEL. I would do at maximum, retaining up to next year's contract but not more than that. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Sure, if OEL and Myers were playing behind Makar and Toews then they probably would do alot better than they are now.  Johnson played sheltered minutes last year.  Manson was brought in to play the hard minutes on the 2nd pairing.  So yeah if OEL and Myers are sheltered on the 3rd pairing then they would be fine.  Problem is they make a combined $13 million and are responsible to shut down the other teams best line and play all of the hard minutes.

I agree though, there is no quick fix.  We would need to ride out their contracts until others can step in.  It's not a quick fix unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

TSN is saying teams are callin SJ on Karlsson. Just last year people were saying he couldn't be moved. Karlsson is 32 @ 11.5 cap hit... 

Maybe OEL will have a resurgence as well. 

Karlsson in on track to win the Norris trophy.  OEL isn't even in the same stratosphere as EK...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, if OEL and Myers were playing behind Makar and Toews then they probably would do alot better than they are now.  Johnson played sheltered minutes last year.  Manson was brought in to play the hard minutes on the 2nd pairing.  So yeah if OEL and Myers are sheltered on the 3rd pairing then they would be fine.  Problem is they make a combined $13 million and are responsible to shut down the other teams best line and play all of the hard minutes.

I agree though, there is no quick fix.  We would need to ride out their contracts until others can step in.  It's not a quick fix unfortunately.

We can still win a cup with OEL on the books. Ride out Myers and when the contract is up, one of our young D should be ready. Or trade him and just resign Schenn and insert Burroughs until our youth begin to show they are ready. Avoid any long term place holders from here out. Stick to short term solutions until the long term answer is ready

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

We can still win a cup with OEL on the books. Ride out Myers and when the contract is up, one of our young D should be ready. Or trade him and just resign Schenn and insert Burroughs until our youth begin to show they are ready. Avoid any long term place holders from here out. Stick to short term solutions until the long term answer is ready

OEL would have to be on our 3rd pairing if we are winning a cup with him in the lineup.  So the question becomes can we win a cup with $7 million tied up in a 3rd pairing Dman?  Sure, Colorado did it with Johnson, not sure we have the same talent level to be able to effectively eat $7 million and still have enough quality to win the cup.  I could be wrong though.  I just don't know.  

• Cheers 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Karlsson in on track to win the Norris trophy.  OEL isn't even in the same stratosphere as EK...

Totally different types of players too though. OEL is more of a well rounded or “all around” dman. EK is all or nothing. He has far more goals against and over 20% higher oZS. Plus he had 2.5x more giveaways. Yes he has far more takeaways and 2.5 more points, but he is getting scorer on all the time with over 60% ozone deployment where as OEL has 45% oZS and less goals against

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You forgetting something?? COVID? Flat cap?

Cap was announced to rise to 84-88mil in march of 2020. Less than weeks later, COVID hit and shut planet earth down and flattened the cap. We still had Demko, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser to re-sign and they were all playing quite well. Letting Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli walk was the right thing to do, to avoid any further cap issues with RFA’s needing new deals. Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli have done how much in CGY?

Schmidt is a good player and his first season here was not an easy one to break into a new team. Isolated in your own house all day, not getting to know your teammates, not getting much practice time at all to learn systems and get used to player tendencies and then being hit with COVID. So dont bother bringing up Schmidt. OEL is stil better than anything else we have. Schenn is great for his price tag, but isnt fast, his lateral movement and playmaking isnt great, his shots dont get through and him and Hughes with primary offensive deployment, have been on the ice for as many goals against as OEL and Myers who take on the top players with primary defensive deployment. Why is our top pair allowing as many goals against as the guys who take the large majority of dzone deployment and against the top lines?

Maybe go look back at 1) how much crying there was about Edler and 2) Edler chose to move on and wanted a fresh start.

Nobody is forgetting about COVID and flat cap.

The team just won two playoff rounds. It did not need drastic changes, just needed to stay on course. 

COVID and flat cap was more the reason to keep the team together as they've worked their butt off from being a bottom feeding team all the way up to winning two playoff rounds.

Schmidt is a good player? lol He's playing bottom pairing minutes on the Jets. why do you think Vegas let him go so cheap and why do you think it could only get 3rd rounder back in the trade from the Jets? Stop fooling yourself, JB messed up his own work.

I'm not even going to bother bringing up OEL trade. That was a massive failure, giving up 9th overall to dump 12 mil only to take on 42 mil in cap dump for Garland.

Just because some fans were crying about Edler doesn't justify letting him walk. Most knowledgeable fans knew the value that he and Tanev were bringing to this team. I guess you aren't one of them, that's for sure. Edler wanted to move on because the contract offer from the Canucks, JB, was disrespectful. Same with Tanev, in fact, not even a contract offer.

Are you JB's family? Like can't believe this JB worship. I think he did some good work for sure but you gotta  accept that some of his moves were terrible instead of making $hit up to defend him.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes but I'm saying players are like stocks

Last year, Karlsson was a sinking asset that nobody wanted to touch. This year he's a Norris favorite. 

I don't think OEL will ever be a Norris candidate again but in the right situation, I can see him being a +20 player with 45 pts. 

He wouldn't be untradeable if he did that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes but I'm saying players are like stocks

Last year, Karlsson was a sinking asset that nobody wanted to touch. This year he's a Norris favorite. 

I don't think OEL will ever be a Norris candidate again but in the right situation, I can see him being a +20 player with 45 pts. 

He wouldn't be untradeable if he did that. 

Maybe.  The fact that he won't even block a shot tells me his body is not into it anymore, but I could be wrong...